Laradon Reviews | Glassdoor

Laradon President and CEO Doug McNeill
Doug McNeill

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Make a difference in the lives that need it the most!"

I have been working at Laradon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Every day I get to come into work surrounded by wonderful people doing work for kids who really need it the most. Sure, every day is not easy, but that is why we are here. Kids who are sent to Laradon really need our help and lucky for them, Laradon is employed with many people who are ready and trained to help them. Since becoming employed with Laradon, I have felt consistently supported by my director, assistant director, supervisor and fellow employees. If you ever have questions, need extra training, or just need to debrief about your day, someone is there to help. Laradon provides numerous opportunities for professional development and growth by consistently supporting their employees and offering promotions/new job opportunities when appropriate. I feel lucky to learn something new every day at work, interact with awesome co-workers, and watch significant change/growth in my students while working at Laradon. If you are interested in working in special education and helping students with behavioral needs, this is the place for you!

Cons

If your heart is not in special education/ABA/behavioral intervention, this is not the place for you!

Dec 5, 2016 – Human Resources Generalist

Thank you so much for the amazing review! At Laradon we like to put the focus on people; the individuals we serve and our wonderful employees! That’s why providing a strong support network and... More

"Hard Job but the people make it worth it!!"

I have been working at Laradon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The leadership here, sees potential in all of its staff and brings it out of them. The Leadership here and HR are friendly and supportive and love what they do. Everyone all the way up to the CEO truly cares about the Individuals we serve here. It is a hard job and things happen but if this is your life's passion there is no place better. After reading some of the other reviews on this website that are so negative my only thought is that they must have never worked in this field before. The kids are challenging and its hard everyday, but these kids need it. Seeing these kids improve there skills and make immeasurable progress is amazing.

Cons

Physical managements, Lack of Breaks, Pay could be better but I have gotten a raise or two since I started.

Advice to Management

Invest in the people who have the passion for this field. Seek those people out. You cannot do this job simply for the pay because the pay doesn't equal the work you put in. This has to be what you are born to do.

3. "Decent"

I have been working at Laradon full-time

Pros

Daily hours, coworkers, benefits, quality services offered for participants

Cons

Top heavy with upper management, few opportunities to advance, not enough relevant training

Advice to Management

Seek out meaningful ways to show staff that they are valued and appreciated.

4. "School Staff"

Current Employee - School Staff in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - School Staff in Denver, CO

I have been working at Laradon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*Excellent, team-minded leadership
    *Moving to be the best facility school in the state
    *Focus is on kids and not the adults
    *Staff care about kids
    *Professional development, especially the Open Labs, are excellent. We've never had this before.
    *Reputation with the school districts is excellent. We now are a respected school and organization.
    *Finally getting a recognized curriculum

Cons

*Pay for salary and hourly could be better
    *Some staff can be very cliquey
    *Some teachers should be replaced because they don't know how to teach and rely on their staff to do their job
    *When staff don't get their way, they post lies on Glassdoor or go to the CEO with their lies. Let the past go people - we're finally moving in the right direction.
    *HR office is slow to get rid of people. They need to speed it up.

Advice to Management

Please consider replacing at least 4 teachers. They don't know what they're doing and want the EBSPs to do all their work. Laradon is spending money on coaching them and they think it is a joke. Hold them accountable to student progress - maybe that will wake them up.
    Don't listen to all the negative talk. There is a lot of good of really good stuff going on in the school and in some classrooms that you should be proud of. The school finally has solid leadership that see through the nonsense that has been allowed for many, many years. Supporting them is supporting Laradon.

Nov 30, 2016 – Human Resources Generalist

Thank you for your feedback!
    We are so proud of the standard of excellence we uphold in all of our programs and attribute all of our success to the passionate men and women who work here. We... More

"Special Education Teacher"

I have been working at Laradon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laradon is the first place I've ever worked where I feel a part of something greater than myself. Staff who consistently show up, put in blood, sweat, and tears (sometimes literally), and follow student plans are appreciated and play an intricate part in a safe and successful school day. Although there is huge risk for injuries, using the extensive training techniques and appropriately requesting help when needed warrants no reason for concern of safety.

- Value team work and collaboration
    - Opportunities for personal development
    - Passionate and caring colleagues
    - Student/participant centered treatment
    - Constantly adjusting to better meet the needs of those we serve

Cons

- Communication breakdown through the chain of commands
    - Inconsistent schedule due to student behavior
    - Can be both emotionally and physically demanding

Advice to Management

Recently, the expectations and demand for professionalism has increased leaving some veteran staff feeling unsure or uncomfortable with what is required. Making expectations clear, reasonable, and consistent will help ensure staff are all on the same page

"Para"

I have been working at Laradon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Admin is out of touch with what really goes on
    Staff consistently gets hurt
    Lots of turnover... like... lots

Cons

This place has been and continues to be a laughing stock for anyone who has work here
    They put teachers on a "program' and then have them fired ASAP
    If you aren't one of "them" you will be ousted

Advice to Management

Close the school... it has been losing money for year.. enrollment is down in the 40's and people are treated like they are disposable. Plus the trolls get on here saying "how great and perfect a school it is" when in reality it is sooo far from it.

Good luck if you get hired here... #duckandweave

Dec 5, 2016 – Human Resources Generalist

The Laradon School is fully committed to providing exemplary academic and behavior services that prepare our students to thrive in an ever changing world. The recent changes implemented within The... More

"Run away fast and Don't Look Back."

Current Employee - Paraprofessional in Denver, CO

Pros

As everyone in these posts have mentioned, the staff who work for Laradon are quality people. Compassionate, friendly, people that usually love the kids they work with.

The vacation time is pretty good, though that may change in January.

Cons

- Management
    - Safety
    - Training
    - Stress
    - No real breaks

The kids are dangerous. Every day you work for Laradon, you risk serious injury because of the nature of the kids. They can be lovable, but it's one of the single, highest stress environments you can put yourself into. Chances are, you will get struck by a child/teen/adult who may be as strong if not stronger than you are. This is their last chance for being enrolled in any kind of school, which means they have already been rejected by public schools due to their negative behaviors.

Working with the kids can give you moments of personal value in developing their skills to return to the rest of society, but in practice it isn't like that. It's much closer to a preschool for adult sized toddlers. If you can handle that, then by all means. But it isn't worth the pay. Many of the staff have gone home crying after work from how difficult it is, including myself. There is a lot of pressure to behave in very specific ways around the children and often it isn't possible.

The Laradon administration recently blended all of the teams across the entire school in an attempt to make things better. It has created a very negative and poor morale environment of which most people there actively hate their jobs. Presently, the management is actually working on ideas and incentives to prevent people from calling out at work, including banning call outs without vacation time. They've been hiring new waves of staff who have no idea how to work with the kids and they're losing staff left and right. To my knowledge, 8 people have quit this week, if that gives you some idea of how poorly the site is being managed now.

I will re-iterate what I mentioned earlier. Run Away and do Not join this company or you will hate yourself for it.

Advice to Management

Hire a new Director who has more experience working with the type of atmosphere Laradon has.
    Listen to the Staff who already know what works.
    Figure out a way to provide regular breaks.
    Stop making serious changes without decent time-lines for staff to prepare.

Sep 19, 2016 – Human Resources Generalist

The Laradon School is designed to meet the needs of students with intellectual disabilities, Autism, Speech/Language impairments coupled with challenging behaviors.
    Students are referred to Laradon... More

"Great place to work- challenging but rewarding"

Current Employee - School Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - School Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Laradon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The kids are awesome and the staff really work together to help the kids improve academically as well as behaviorally. The pay is comparable to other schools and we get paid breaks (1 week Thanksgiving, 2 weeks winter, 1 week spring, 3 weeks summer). Great health benefits!

Cons

When down staff it can be very stressful, we need more qualified employees. It is a working lunch so the time to eat can vary. Some of the students can be very aggressive (but staff are amazing at coming to help). You don't get the whole summer off.

Advice to Management

Hire more qualified employees so we can become fully staffed (with additional staff who are on call)

"The school program will teach you so much about Special education."

Current Employee - Para Professional (EBSP) in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Para Professional (EBSP) in Denver, CO

I have been working at Laradon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The staff support is unbelievable, everyone is there to help one another.

You will learn a tremendous amount about ABA therapy.

You have room to grow and they love in hire internally!

Cons

This job is not for everyone. Sometimes this is a child's last chance at an education because of their behavior. Everyday is new and challenging. You have to be extremely patient and resourceful.

Advice to Management

Have more stress relieving bonding sessions with staff!

"Participants and Coworkers make it worth it"

I worked at Laradon full-time

Pros

Passionate people that care about helping those with intellectual disabilities. Wonderful participants.

Cons

A lot of work place politics among administration. Poor pay for what you do. Getting items needed for your program (activities, furniture, etc.) is like pulling teeth. A lot of meetings aimed at addressing complaints from employees, but never any actual solutions. Very minimal room for advancement. Great for a start in the field, but if you want a career this probably isn't for you.

Advice to Management

Don't hold meetings to ask for ideas to improve employee trust of administration and communication within your program if you have no intent of ever addressing what is brought up.