Larry H. Miller Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Larry H. Miller Group CEO Clark Whitworth
Clark Whitworth

Pros
  • Pretty good benefits, 4O1k, paid time off which was nice (in 6 reviews)

• Miller Group has great benefits and a great solid company opportunities (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • To be a top performer you have to dedicate long hours, it takes a toll on your personal life (in 5 reviews)

1. "Overall well rin company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ogden, UT

I have been working at Larry H. Miller Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very family oriented company. Great culture and community involvement. Leadership communicates well with the individual employees and the direction the company is going is an open book.

Cons

Once you're in, you're in, but it's a little hard to move up. Playing politics is part of the game and if you're not in the club, you're often an outsider looking in.

Advice to Management

Recognize hard work, not just the guys that step on the backs of others to get up in the world. Maybe I'm a little partial to a good education, but there are many employees that go unnoticed because of the hubris of the leadership.

2. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in Riverdale, UT
    Former Employee - Sales in Riverdale, UT

I worked at Larry H. Miller Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay...if you work hard and have an "aggressive" personality you will be compensated VERY well! You can easily make 6 figures if you meet the above guidelines. Also, they have an UNMATCHED and VERY generous scholarship program for family members. After you have been employed for 2 years and as long as you are in "good standing" all of your children can go to college TUITION FREE! Provided you STAY employed. Hopefully that program is still in effect!

Cons

VERY STRONG corporate politics!! Horrible! Also, they Micro Manage like no other!! This is what caused me to leave! I would complete a contract with a customer and literally as soon as the customer left my office someone from corporate would call and ask questions about what I just did! In other words, they were watching me ONLINE !! What the heck?? Also, they don't give many chances...if you make a few mistakes they are VERY QUICK to let you go! It's ALL ABOUT PROTECTING Larry H Millers money!! They even talk about it on a daily basis...if your not "making" money for the company or you are an "above average" risk for losing money, then there is NO PLACE for you at Larry H Miller! This "rule" or "idea" is actually part of their CULTURE!! I've NEVER seen anything like it and I've been a manager for 24 years! They pay their executives (including the GM of the store) VERY well in order to get full buy into this way of thinking. Obviously this is my opinion but I've been a manager in the auto industry for the last 19 years and I've never seen people change SO DRAMATICALLY as when they step into a GM position with this company! Suddenly they care more about the company then they do about the people that work under them! NOT a good way run a company! If you have a strong stomach, don't care about being in a negative work environment and can just put your head down and work hard...while following ALL of their rules...then you will probably earn a good paycheck!

Advice to Management

Worry WAY MORE about the morale of your employees. Remember to ALWAYS support your managers...that means backing them up if they make a bad decision!! ALWAYS!!! You can always "coach" them in private later! Also...always TRUTHFULLY inform your managers about EVERYTHING! The good, the bad, the ugly...EVERYTHING!!! Next...you need to treat EVERYONE like they are part of the team...not just your BUDDIES!!!

3. "Toyota can make you money"

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Murray, UT
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Murray, UT

I worked at Larry H. Miller Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Money!!! if you can perform they have one of the best commission structures.

Cons

To be a top performer you have to dedicate long hours, it takes a toll on your personal life. There really isn't a work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Create more spiffs

5. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sandy, UT

I worked at Larry H. Miller Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive goals to keep you motivated.

Cons

Expect you to work sometimes on your days off.

6. "It was a start, but..."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Larry H. Miller Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The potential for earning a great income is there

Cons

Inconsistent sales managers, archaic way of doing business (embrace the Internet!), junior sales consultants are treated poorly by veterans and sales managers.

Advice to Management

Apply consistency throughout the entire sales process. There's no reason why sales consultants should be getting conflicting answers from sales managers. It hinders the selling process and confuses everyone involved. Eliminate the culture of "green pea" treatment. Invest in formal training for sales associates.

7. "Poor management"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Larry H. Miller Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced. Never boring. People were nice for the most part. Pretty good benefits, 4O1k, paid time off which was nice.

Cons

Poor management. Nepotism and favoritism were a huge problem. Almost impossible to get a raise or advance to a better position that paid more.

Advice to Management

Care about your people. You will get more out of them if you put something positivelse into them. Treat them like adults instead of children.

8. "Business Development Center (BDC)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Murray, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Murray, UT

I worked at Larry H. Miller Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great insurance and health benefits great holiday bonus since they are very much corporate there is little room for employees to nit get compensated well

Cons

ocassionally they get crap managers but managers come and go you can have that at any company

9. "Sales Team"

Former Employee - Car Salesman in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Car Salesman in Provo, UT

I worked at Larry H. Miller Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Perks and benefits. Great perks such giving away ticket to Utah Jazz games

Cons

Had to lie to customers to get a good commission out of it. Not a fan of that

Advice to Management

Prepare everyone better at the beginning of day of what is expected

10. "Growing Pains"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant/Internet Manager/Closer in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant/Internet Manager/Closer in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Larry H. Miller Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is a big organization. they give back to the community. Made good money

Cons

LOTS OF HOURS. Had to fight for my money that I earned every month. Management is unhappy making it a crappy place for sales people. I think it will get better in the next 6 months though.

Advice to Management

If management is going to be commission, you should make your staff commission since they are forced to hold gross anyway. Everyone needs to be on the same page working on the same goals.

11. "Not for the weak."

Former Employee - Sales Consultant/Internet Manager/Closer in Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant/Internet Manager/Closer in Sandy, UT

I worked at Larry H. Miller Group (More than a year)

Pros

Can make big money here. $$$

Cons

Bad leadership. Sharks. Fight for your money.