Las Vegas Valley Water Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Las Vegas Valley Water President, Board of Directors Steve Sisolak
Steve Sisolak

1. "Great place to work. Very positive attitudes."

Current Employee - Technical Support Technician in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Technical Support Technician in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Las Vegas Valley Water (Less than a year)

Pros

The LVVWD supplies water to all of Clark County and beyond. In most cases, district employees work an 11 hour a day M-Th schedule. The IT infrastructure is expertly managed and secure from top to bottom. Everyone I have worked with has a positive attitude and is friendly and helpful.

Cons

As a contractor I don't get the advantages or benefits that the district employees have. The contracting company I work for doesn't pay very well and their benefits seem to be the legal minimum. No paid time off, no 401k, no disability insurance.

"Bad culture! Beware!"

I worked at Las Vegas Valley Water full-time

Pros

Great benefits, hours (4-10's), & pay! It's a great place to retire if u want to just sit back & do nothing.

Cons

A lot of workers are not happy here but yet they still work here & like to make other people's life miserable by gossiping & unprofessional behavior. Poor management! Unqualified people run this place. Too much politics & incompetent management. A lot of tax payers money goes to waste. There's a large civil law suite going on against the company. Major layoffs & restructuring going on. The pay is very high but it's not worth it.

Advice to Management

Hire competent people that have people/management skills.

3. "Electronis tech"

I have been working at Las Vegas Valley Water full-time

Pros

great money good enviroment good people

Cons

living in desert not a fan

5. "Employment at LVVWD"

Current Employee - Electrical/Electronics Systems Technician II in North Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Las Vegas Valley Water full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Pay compared to nationwide payscale

Cons

Senior Management still needs to do more to break down Job Silos to increase Oppurtunity for all and not just a select few.

Advice to Management

R.I.S.E. to the occasion of the C.O.R.E. Values.

"Lots of politics, due to people trying to step over each other to get better pay raises."

I have been working at Las Vegas Valley Water full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

4/10 work week=good family time, benefits are decent. Plenty of holidays off. After one year you receive two weeks vacation which is accrued hourly.

Cons

Politics, typical government job where if your supervisor didn't come up with the idea then it's wrong. If you can leave the politics at work, you'll be okay. Remember though that the politics affect your pay raise.

Advice to Management

Step into the 21st century

7. "Civil engineer pe"

Former Employee - Civil Engineer, PE in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Civil Engineer, PE in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Las Vegas Valley Water (More than 8 years)

Pros

No pressure at any time

Cons

Old boys club, no accountability

Advice to Management

Support upward mobility, more feedback

"Overpaid but way underwork"

Former Employee - Biologist
    Former Employee - Biologist

I worked at Las Vegas Valley Water full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Overall mostly nice co workers. Nice benefits and pay.

Cons

There are hard working ones but I've seen many lazy that has been there forever that are wasting the tax payers money. Full of useless meetings while there are plenty of work to do. A lot of the management are incompetent

Advice to Management

Keep hard working smart people. Get rid of the lazy ones and incompetent.

"Good place to retire"

I have been working at Las Vegas Valley Water full-time

Pros

Very good pay, very good benefits, very good equipment and systems

Cons

Growth potential is somewhat limited due to low turnover; very politically correct. Not much is expected of anyone, so ambitious people will get bored or disappointed. For a person in the late stages of career, it would be a great place to retire.

"Great Place to work , yes I said work"

Current Employee - Mechanical Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Mechanical Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Las Vegas Valley Water full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been employeed at the Water District for 17 years, started in 1998. I started out as an entry level employee not knowing anyone. I worked as a Water Works Mechanic for 6 years. I was promoted to a supervisory position at SNWS in 2005. I again knew knowbody and was promoted on merit and past experience. Bottom line is this, Work hard , come to work everyday, don't make excuses and do your assigned job. The Water District has a few " Lazy " employees ........ So do most large companies. I have worked in the repair industry for over 40 years. This is the best job situation I have ever been in. Management is fair and does listen to employees. Wages are competitive and the retirement system fantastic.

Cons

I found this job at age 46. Wish I started employment here much earlier in life. I really can't think of any cons.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. Hire people with good skills , reward employees that work hard , promote within the ranks and continue paying a fair wage.

"Information Technology"

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Las Vegas Valley Water full-time

Pros

* Good Work Life Balance - Though, you might have to work weekends sometimes. It also depends on your team and project.

* Competitive Salaries - There's probably no higher paying job in Las Vegas.

* Good Benefits - If you stay long enough, there is a pension plan. You also have 3 weeks of vacation and you get sick and personal time.

Cons

Note: The environment largely depends on the department that you work in the organization. This is about information technology.

* Incompetent coworkers - in IT, there are so many that don't know anything basic about technology. People are more interested in "clocking out" rather than doing the work nor are they interested in it. That leaves it to only a few in the company that actually shoulders the responsibility. People tend to be lazy. And no, the recent trend of doing scrum isn't going to help out.

* A lot of egos from those who do know anything. I think that's because if you're surrounded by people that don't know anything on a daily basis, you become to think that you are superior. Get a clue, look at the rest of the industry, there are many people that know a lot more.

* Lower management is more interested in protecting turf. Incredible amount of politicking and bickering goes on and covering one's behind rather than working as a team. They help produce a general culture of blame and politics. Scrum isn't going to solve all the problems in IT Software Development. Pick the right tool for the job, not a one size fits all solution.

* Upper Management is clueless. The management structure is very vertical and everyone has their say. Rather than tackling problems head on, they scurry to purchase a product to solve the problem. Lots of wasteful spending on unnecessary stuff.

* Management isn't interested in listening to your advice nor are they interested in taking it into consideration as they've already made up their minds.

* Management is unable to say no to customer's demands even if the customer requests are ridiculous. This causes unstable systems and all the cruft that we have now.

* Promotions only happen if you kiss up to the right people. It's all about favoritism. If you do good work, you generally are passed up. Incentivizes people not to work hard as there isn't a point because you're in whatever position you have for life (or the duration that you're there). There is no upward mobility. Promotions happen as internal job postings that are per-determined. This sort of thing generally isn't localized to IT, it's rampant throughout the organization.

I don't know if there's a more dysfunctional place I've ever worked at. It used to be good many years ago.

Advice to Management

Stop with the favoritism. Consider getting rid of all the dead weight as there are a large amount of it. Really listen to what the employees have to say, they are the ones in the trenches.