Latham & Watkins Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 16, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours, high expectations for paralegals (in 18 reviews)

• Being the largest money making law firm, they should reward their staff more (in 13 reviews)

"Technical Consultant"

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Latham & Watkins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent people to work with. Extremely knowledgeable team willing to share ideas and work together toward goals. Good support from management and good work life balance for a top tier law firm. Overall, an excellent place to work that I highly recommend.

Cons

Can be challenging to work with a remote team depending on the office location. Open to new ideas, but it can take a long time to implement changes due to the size of the organization.

2. "Good firm...for biglaw"

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Latham & Watkins full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance for biglaw. 1900 hour minimum (although I think people who are under often get a full bonus) -- in three years i've never gone over 1970. Well managed firm. I have confidence they know what they're doing and are growing the firm in the right way.

Cons

Biglaw is often stressful and the work is often not that interesting.

"The Remote Position"

Former Employee - Remote Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Remote Administrative Assistant

I worked at Latham & Watkins full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It sounded good. Working from home for about $35 an hour.

Cons

They wanted me to deposit checks to cover the cost of my equipment. The checks were returned to my bank unpaid.

Advice to Management

Management needs to tighten-up on the protocol for ordering office equipment.

"Law firm was great, local office could improve"

Pros

Globally, the firm was great. Benefits were good. Technology was ahead of its class. They kept you updated with what was going on within the firm.

Cons

Local office seemed to miss the target with the "One Firm" attitude. Local office was different than what the firm was projecting. There was a lot of fear within the staff in the local office. Tends to be a lot of turnaround and when you go over and above, you are looked over for promotions or not appreciated with fair bonuses and raises. Being the largest money making law firm, they should reward their staff more.

"admin"

I have been working at Latham & Watkins full-time

Pros

location, coffee, holidays, 401k, family leave

Cons

inflexible hours, low pay, cramped office, fumes

6. "Fun summer program"

Pros

-Summer academy in Beverly Hills
    -the most fun full-time associates consistently end up at the summer associate dinners
    -assignment system allows summers to try work in diverse groups

Cons

-Culture may seem fratty to some

7. "Great Big-Law Experience"

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Latham & Watkins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people here are generally kind, funny, down to earth, and super smart. I've learned a lot in a short period of time.

Cons

There is no central coordinator for work flow so some people are busier than others and it really depends on who your work stream comes from.

"Friendly, quirky people, and excellent governance"

Pros

Excellent hands-on training, lots of opportunities for growth based on a transparent, meritocratic system, challenging work, associates have significant say over the type of work they want to experience and who they want to work for, great governance structures, benefits, retreats, resources, friendly, social environment with lots of interesting people from all over the country and globally, not cheap with spending money on keeping associates happy, open to new creative ideas and interest groups, lots of opportunity to take on leadership roles outside your regular client work, unlimited probono opportunities

Cons

high stress environment, long hours, the NY office building could be improved, quality of secretarial support is dismal, no healthy snacks provided only tea/coffee, the smaller practice groups tend to get "cliquey" so you have to suck up in order to get included, the capital markets practice group is like a frat house, full of white men who have openly made sexist jokes in my presence

Advice to Management

The smaller practice groups need more oversight. They tend to develop their own subcultures which don't necessarily align with the transparency, meritocracy and free-flow of information that the rest of the firm embodies. There are a few "bad apples" amongst the senior associates and junior partners that should be weeded out.

9. "Associate"

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Latham & Watkins (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great resources; good training if you're in the right group

Cons

Very political in litigation department; if you're a favorite, you'll go far. All litigation associates don't get the same opportunities to work on great projects

10. "I liked working their, but I knew I couldn't stay their."

Former Employee - Former Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Latham & Watkins full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They pretty much didn't bother you, as long as you didn't challenge them. They were known for holding grudges however.

Cons

The paralegals and secretaries are under utilized, but to be honest, LW is not the only firm guilty of that AWFUL FACT. Both function on a totally administrative level, which equals no skill in the world if you decide to leave. No advancement possibilities!

Advice to Management

Fight to make some changes for your employees, where they make sense.