Latisys Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Peter Stevenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A place that cared about their employees"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Latisys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Small and intimate organization that cared about their employees. The owners, C level people, and Management were by far the best to work for. I reported directly to a Director who later became a VP and I can honestly say the best managers to work for. The employees in the company that I personally worked with were great. Everyone got along well but at times we got into tense conversations but all business and everyone was always supporting each other. The company was very generous with bonuses and helping Engineers with education and certifications. Definitely never felt like a number at the company. I always felt that my ideas and concerns were heard and the best part my ideas were implemented and I was given the opportunity to be creative.

Cons

The company was purchased by Zayo and after 6+ months working for the new company I knew I didn't want to stay in that environment. I just wish that Latisys stayed what it was as I would not have left the company otherwise.

Advice to Management

They are no longer with the company so this doesn't apply anymore.

2. "Overall Good"

Former Employee - Tier I NOC Technician in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Tier I NOC Technician in Denver, CO

I worked at Latisys (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Team
    Great Infrastructure.
    Good Busniess
    Great Medical and Other Insurance

Cons

Change in Management for the worse

Advice to Management

Offer more opportunities for advancement. Also give employees more benefits.

3. "If you want to enjoy coming to work, this is the place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

Culture is amazing and all of the people care about each other. Staff are empowered to affect change and career paths are provided for those who work hard.

Cons

Compensation is below the average

4. "The best job in my career"

Current Employee - Sales in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Latisys full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Management and Management Envolvment

Cons

Company acquired... to new to rate

Advice to Management

Positive environment and a big thanks for all the support over the 14 years

5. "Stability and Growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Ashburn, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Ashburn, VA

I have been working at Latisys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stable company with excellent career growth for those willing to work hard. Management is flexible around helping maintain a work-life balance. Good benefits for a small company.

Cons

Working across four locations lends room for improved communications. Typical growing pains for a small company.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. Ignore the negative comments that some individuals have expressed in this forum. They are the disgruntled few and not representative of the majority of employees.

"Get your foot in the door, then get out."

Former Employee - NOC Technician in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - NOC Technician in Englewood, CO

I worked at Latisys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They do put some profit back into the datacenter, so you are working with more modern equipment.
    It's a good place to get 6 months to a year of experience.
    Okay solo benefits that are covered by Latisys (Okay health, mediocre dental).

Cons

Another review mentioned the dangling of a carrot to get you to stay with the company - this is still true. You will be told that the company almost always hires from within, and that, "the turnover is 1-2 years, but that's because people are moving up in the company". This could not be further from the truth. Managers of other departments refuse to hire from below, instead preferring third-party candidates or contractors. HR will refuse to allow departments to hire from below because of one bad hire, and will not come up with a solution.
    You will be told that you have every opportunity to move up, but unless you do every little thing in your current position absolutely perfectly, as well as doing a large chunk of the job you are trying to move into, you won't go anywhere. If you do move up, it will be for well below market rate.
    Very poor wages (33%+ below market rate), no 401k match, poor spouse/dependent coverage prices on insurance plans.
    Micromanagement galore from managers miles above your pay grade. Other departments and upper management see the lower technicians and engineers as a great place to dump blame when something goes wrong.
    Upper management is fine with you as long as everything goes exactly right, and nothing happens to go wrong. If something does go wrong, you'd better hope you're covered 3 different ways, or you will be blamed (even if you did everything exactly as you were told).
    Upper management has an annoying refusal to listen to anyone on the lower rungs when they suggest a process improvement or warn of an impending failure, but will happily blame the same employee when said failure happens.
    Direct Managers can send mixed messages (happy conversation with you one moment, and then in less than a day, calling you and threatening written warnings and termination for minor mistakes).

Advice to Management

The current "caste system" in place ("Tier 3, systems, networking, and IT, will hire out of Tier 2. Tier 2 will hire out of the NOC.") is very much broken. The last 4 openings for a Tier 2/3 position I applied for, and for 3 of those 4 positions, I never heard a single word in response (the fourth, I got a very short interview by a very uninterested interviewer, and also had to push -- hard -- for a response, and never officially received one). The internal hiring needs to be done based on knowledge, experience, and enthusiasm, not based on what position you're currently in and how long you've been there.
    Give more internal praise, and less internal scorn. In my time at Latisys, I received multiple "written warnings" (that threatened termination) for very minor incidents. I received only one award, for something that I had to give 200% for. I would've never received any kind of recognition had I not blew away an employee in systems with my knowledge of the deployed systems. Employees in the lower rungs are not noticed at all, until something goes wrong. Then they are happily saddled with the blame, written up, and threatened with termination!
    I was once told that the "written warnings" are used as "learning tools" and that they hold no real bearing on your performance, wages, et cetera. If this is true, then you need to remove the words "grounds for termination" from them. Don't tell me they hold no bearing when the last thing in them is "keep it up and you're binned".

"Don't waste your time applying at Latisys!"

Former Employee - NOC Technician in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - NOC Technician in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Latisys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Non, absolutely none whatsoever! Don't bother with this company! in less then a year you'll be fed up looking for another job

Cons

This company has a revolving door employment policy and is one of the worst paying data centers in the area. On the average this data center loses a NOC technician every 3 months, mostly due to the poor management. I don't even think the management even deserves one star in the ratings, that's too good. When I left, half the NOC team was looking for another job. You'll work 12 hour shifts and you will spend most of you time dealing with checking in customers, getting packages for them and doing paper work. This is not a typical NOC position monitoring the network, it's more of a low level administrative type position. Even tier 2 spends most of the time doing audits. If your looking to get solid networking skills look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

This question is a waste of time as the management of the NOC is completely disconnected from their employees and treats them like disposable children.

"Overwhelmingly neglectful upper-management & HR, and the worst Data Center to work at in the area."

Current Employee - Service Desk Technician in Ashburn, VA
    Current Employee - Service Desk Technician in Ashburn, VA

I have been working at Latisys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Job security. Seriously, it is pretty good. You have to try extra hard to get terminated. Health benefits are OK as well. A permanent position of misery is still a permanent position, so at least there's that.

Cons

If you're thinking about working at Latisys doing tech support, there's a couple things you should know:

1. No worth-while training. You'll have to get as much as you can out of shadowing people, just hope they're able to take time to teach you anything in between an always busy ticket queue and phone calls coming in.

2. Everyone on the desk is absolutely miserable and trying to get out. In recent months we've lost nearly all of our star techs and management didn't do anything worthwhile to try to keep them around-- some weren't even given a good-bye. Your day is far more stressful than the average help desk position, and you will be met with extreme reluctance from upper support staff in seeking assistance on issues despite their lacking work-load. 13 hour shifts are going to go by painfully slow.

3. The pay and raises are extremely laughable (especially considering the hours), as are the perks. Talk to any employee at any other data centers in the area-- they all get more. Upper management is convinced the company is giving you the world with what's considered the standard at any IT company worth-while, but you better feel lucky to be there, and though they want you to get high level certs, they don't want to pay you what you're worth anywhere else once you get em.

Getting recognized for even the most trivial of an award comes easily for any other department EXCEPT the people at the desk who actually interact with the customers and are keeping them happy.

4. You won't get to touch as many technologies as you're told, so if you're someone looking to come in and get a lot of experience, prepare to be disappointed. Severely. You're much better off in the NOC if you want time to learn things and study.

Advice to Management

Remember this: YOU'RE the ones making decent money, not the people under you. You cannot expect to keep a staff happy when they're not getting competitive wages.

You started with a brand new department, and they all have come to the same conclusion that you are failing to deliver what's needed at all the meetings. The majority of the people you pointed to as examples of what to aspire to be have left the company within a short time period of one another-- what does that tell you?

As for HR: What are you doing with the feedback from all the exit interviews? Any time someone leaves, they ask the rest of the team what they'd like to say on their behalf so that maybe you'll do something to try to change the culture for the rest who of us still here, but you haven't thus far. You really need to give special attention to your tech support teams with the current status quo.

"A "Green Pea" shop to be avoided."

Former Employee - Technical in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Technical in Englewood, CO

I worked at Latisys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not many! The people are generally nice so the attitudes are pretty good most days. Most employees are "green peas" - new to the industry. This is usually their first job, sometimes second. Enthusiasm is high and eagerness to succeed is present until it is bled out due to managements "replaceable cog" mentality.

Cons

Where should I start! Management tends to blame employees rather than the process for failures. Advancement is dangled like a carrot but there really is none. Anybody who has moved up did so in earlier days. People turn over quicker than burgers on a grill and because of that confusion and inexperience run rampant, hand in hand with low morale. Raises for some are measured in nickels and dimes while exec and sales people take weekends to tropical getaways - go figure!

Advice to Management

Pay prevailing wages and stop pushing certifications so you can get discounts from your solution partner! Treat employees like you provide a platform for a vocation, not a hobby club house for geeks.

"Great place to work before it was Latisys"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Latisys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the employees are great, though many of them have jumped ship

Cons

Management is generally clueless and does not particularly care about their employees, many of the old timers are caustic jerks who have stepped on many others to get where they are now