Laurel Springs Online School Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"feed your soul"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, PA

I have been working at Laurel Springs Online School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

noble mission, dedicated employees, passionate leadership, organization's culture

Cons

part of the year is very busy, while part of the year is somewhat slow due to the seasonality of the "industry"

Advice to Management

continue to keep families' & students' needs at forefront, while remaining open to process improvement input from employees

Jul 29, 2018 – Director or Marketing and Communications

Thank you for your kind words and this wonderful review!

Have a fantastic day!

2. "Admissions Coordinator"

I have been working at Laurel Springs Online School full-time

Pros

- Amazing People to work with
    - Fun talking to a different array of people
    - Travel
    - Excellent culture

Cons

- Office Environment and cubicle life

"Do What You Love, Love What You Do!"

Current Employee - Senior Academy Coordinator in West Chester, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Academy Coordinator in West Chester, PA

Pros

Extremely thorough onboarding of new staff, excellent benefits and "extras" in terms of wellness & staff morale. Clear & timely communication. Weekly newsletters, quarterly staff meetings. Ability to work remotely in some cases and in bad weather. Setting our students and families up for success is our goal - and we are focused on working together to make this happen every day.The current team here is well trained, consistent and very supportive of each other. Our Leadership teams asks for feedback and works hard to implement staff suggestions which makes for a professional, positive and fun work environment where employees feel valued. You can hear our smiles through every phone call.

Cons

Sometimes, you have to go through change to get to greatness. Staff turnover is not only an expense to the company but tough on existing staff as well. However, if these people are replaced with motivated, hard working, caring, smart employees, with excellent communication skills - then your culture will change for the positive - and I feel fortunate to be a part of this change.

Advice to Management

Thank you for asking for staff feedback - and for listening and implementing positive changes! Consistent and clear communication is key - and I feel you do a stellar job! Please continue to promote from within the ranks as this shows staff they are valued and that hard work and dedication gets rewarded.

"Comfortable Chairs do not Improve the Turnover Rate or Culture"

Former Employee - Manager in West Chester, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in West Chester, PA

I worked at Laurel Springs Online School full-time

Pros

The office has fairly new chairs. They are less than five years old and turn a full 360 degrees.

Cons

The environment cultivated by the leadership team is absolutely toxic. The Head of School in particular is unrealistic in her expectations and leads by instilling fear.

If you want to be miserable while at your job, if you do not want to trust the people you are working with, if you desire an underwhelming compensation and benefits package , this place is for you.

Advice to Management

Stop using fear and intimidation as a leadership tactic. And stop planting positive reviews about yourself on Glassdoor.

Feb 2, 2018 – Director or Marketing and Communications

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us.

I invite you to reach out to me directly should you have anything specific that you would like to share as we are always looking for... More

5. "So far, so good review"

I have been working at Laurel Springs Online School full-time

Pros

The onboarding process was the most organized I'd ever seen. It would have to be as it is a massive undertaking that lasts about 3 weeks. The people here are nice, collaborative, accessible for any questions. It's a good community.

Cons

I really haven't been here long enough to experience the cons yet.

"Pink on Wednesdays club"

I worked at Laurel Springs Online School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers are awesome, genuinely caring and dedicated people. It was a privilege to have met and worked with them, hope to stay in touch and perhaps meet again under better circumstances.

Cons

Upper Management really needs to take some of the things that have been said on Glassdoor reviews prior to this to heart. They are a group of super catty, elitist, stuck up women who make it abundantly clear that you are not welcome in their club. (Not that after getting to know them you would really want to join). It is sad to see that no matter how many times the same thing is said, they continue to treat people the same way. Even though most of the staff have the same degree or even more advanced degrees than they hold, they continue to look down on them as inferior. Managements follow up on things is atrocious, it either takes so long the answer no longer matters or you never get an answer at all. They take things away or change things but don’t tell anyone but themselves, I guess they think we all so stupid and far beneath them, they don’t need to tell us anything or that eventually we will figure it out.

Advice to Management

Really listen to what is being said, instead of being angry, ask yourself, could this many people saying the same exact thing really all be wrong/crazy/delusional and you are still right? In the relatively short time I’ve been here I have seen about 35/40 people leave. At some point ladies, you will need to see the problem lies with you, in particular the Head of School who is the most arrogant, rude, insincere and quite frankly mean one of The group. Wake up and make real changes, do you really want to be the mean girls club? Don’t forget to wear your pink on Wednesday’s.

"Experience not valued"

Former Employee - Teacher in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Teacher in Dallas, TX

I worked at Laurel Springs Online School (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only pro for working at LSS is that it is an online environment.

Cons

The cons are so many that I can't express them all. To begin with, the pay is considered low for the number of hours and time that is expectable. In addition, there is no transperency in managment. Lastly, experience is not valued.

Advice to Management

Pay contractors what they are worth!

Nov 20, 2017 – Director or Marketing and Communications

We truly appreciate your honest feedback. Here at Laurel Springs School, we are always looking for ways to improve; we appreciate your input.

"A True Disappointment"

Pros

Many of the lower-level employees are lovely, sweet people who care tremendously about the families and students who count on the school for education. Some of the teachers are particularly helpful and a bright spot in the organization.

Cons

1. Management
    The managers and, particularly, the directors are some of the most selfish, rude, condescending, gossipy, and judgmental people I've ever met, let alone worked alongside. The negativity that emanates from their offices carries down the hallways and affects the emotional well-being of every employee they oversee.

2. Turnover
    The frustration and difficulty of working with management have led to incredible turnover. Just ask a parent how many guidance counselors their child has had over one year to get a feel for how often people leave and how difficult it is for families.

3. Workload
    With so much turnover and such bad management, I suppose it’s unsurprising that every employee is tasked with completing the work of 3 or 4 people. The hours that people are asked to work and the pressure on each individual is enormous and simply put, unfair.

4. Work/Life Balance
    The incredible workload means that it’s nearly impossible for a salaried employee to have any balance in their life. For managers and directors with families, though, it appears the rules are different. On one occasion I was told I would be working late, instead of a colleague, because he had kids and I did not.

Advice to Management

The management at this company does not take these reviews to heart. In my experience, they are more concerned with figuring out who wrote them and making those people feel afraid and upset than they are about changing things to make everyone’s experience better. I was a party to a conversation in which one person from management “encouraged” an employee to write a positive review to negate and “push down” the negative reviews on this site.

My advice is for the CEO of Nobel Learning. Stop allowing the bullying and hostile work environment to continue. Give employees a voice, a place where they can speak without fear of retaliation. Make it anonymous and use a third party – no one trusts HR any more than they trust upper management. And if you’re still on the fence about whether or not there is a real issue, I encourage you to run the numbers. How many people have left over the last few years? To whom did they report? To whom does that person report?

"Horrid."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, PA

I worked at Laurel Springs Online School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The students who I got to work with were an absolute pleasure. They are kind and genuine and very nice to work with. Kind coworkers as well.

Cons

If you are thinking of accepting a position at this company I URGE you to read this first. I worked at LSS for over a year and have been truly disappointed by the lack of communication and professionalism from the Directors. The school is led by a group of catty women in heels who judge their employees more on how they look/what they are wearing rather than their intellect. You will be OVERWORKED and UNDERPAID during your time here, especially during the summer “back to school season”. Our team had EACH worked over 40 extra hours in the month of July and were given an unattainable goal to hit. Morale is at an all-time low, and everyone is FURIOUSLY looking for jobs elsewhere. Most of the employees are desperate to leave and have even taken lower paying opportunities elsewhere just to leave the company. The team of directors are so disconnected from their employees and have not the slightest clue of what day-day tasks we complete each day.
    During my time at LSS, there were many employees who had left (over 35 during a 16 month period) and in turn more work was pushed onto the team members who were still at the company. At one point, I was working the job of THREE people and working many late nights to compensate for the lack of support! Instead of real appreciation all we received this summer were bags of chips and granola bars to hold us over. The managers will nit-pick all your work and micromanage every part of your day to ensure that you are making money for the company. I distinctly remember one of the Deans bringing me to TEARS in her office over such small and trivial matters regarding a follow up call. She then proceeded to proudly proclaim that “this isn’t the first time someone has cried in her office”. Needless today she had no sympathy for me or any of her staff members who are working around the clock for no recognition.
    I pray for change. It is so sad to see so many passionate and dedicated employees leave because of the lack of leadership and management. How many talented people does LSS have to loose before they start to realize the problem is not their employees but within management?

Advice to Management

Please be KIND and RESPECTFUL. That is honestly all it takes to be a decent human being. Stop chasing numbers and sales goals and remember the mission of the school is to help provide a flexible education to students. PLEASE RECOGNIZE that your employees are terribly unhappy and depressed working for you and make a change in the way lead. Teaching IS NOT the same as managing--You cannot treat your employees like the 5th graders you once had in your classrooms and give them cookies and stickers instead of monetary bonuses to celebrate their accomplishments. LEAD BY EXAMPLE. REMEMBER THE MISSION. DO THE RIGHT THING.

"Worst job I ever had."

I worked at Laurel Springs Online School full-time

Pros

Many good people who unfortunately are not appreciated
    And therefore leave.

Cons

Worst job I ever had in my life. Boiler room operation. Employees are treated horribly.

Advice to Management

Reexamine your morals, ethics, and humanity. You are the most insecure and selfish group of women Inhave ever encountered.

Sep 1, 2017 – Director or Marketing and Communications

We are sorry that your experience was not what you were hoping for. We invite you to contact our communications office to share more about how your experience could have been improved. I can be... More