Law Office of Robert B Jobe Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.4
Robert B. Jobe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great place to practice immigration law, esp for parents!"

Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Law Office of Robert B Jobe full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked at this firm for a total of over eight years and have learned and grown tremendously. The environment is exciting and collaborative and empowers attorneys and legal assistants alike to be creative and take initiative on complicated immigration cases. The caseload is largely made up of refugees, families, and immigrants with criminal convictions. New and seasoned attorneys alike get to work on complex legal matters before all levels of the government - including the Circuit Courts of Appeals. The workplace is also flexible, to the extent possible given the caseload and externally imposed deadlines, for having a family and maintaining meaningful engagement in the practice of law. This place has long been driven by a commitment to seeing justice done in a creative way for a reasonable cost.

Cons

You have to really like working hard. Stress management skills and self-reliance and teamwork skills are a must. This is dynamic work for clients in very stressful life situations. It ain't easy.

"Fun Collegial Atmosphere and Fulfilling Work."

Current Employee - Attorney in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Attorney in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Law Office of Robert B Jobe (More than 3 years)

Pros

I joined the firm as an associate four years ago, and I am better for it. Associates are given early opportunities to build trial and appellate advocacy skills that are invaluable. Mr. Jobe is dedicated to making positive change in the law and is a tireless advocate for the people we represent. As a result, the attorneys who work for the Jobe office work on fascinating complex cases that sometimes lead to published decisions. The work is complex and fast paced, but the talented team of attorneys, legal assistants, and staff at the Jobe office makes it exciting and manageable. It is a collegial atmosphere where ethics are highly valued, ideas are freely exchanged and support is always available. The office culture celebrates diversity and authenticity which makes if a very warm and joyful place to work. We laugh a lot. Salaries are extremely competitive, particularly for this type of human rights advocacy.

Cons

The caseloads are high and the cases are demanding and complex, and people's lives depend upon the outcome, which can be very stressful. The job requires one to be extremely organized, detail oriented, and dedicated. Immigration law and policy changes weekly, and attorney's are expected to get themselves up to speed and stay apprised of changes in law and policy. This keeps the work exciting, but requires a lot of work and is not for everyone. As is unavoidable in this field, there are always some difficult clients.

3. "legal assistant position"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Law Office of Robert B Jobe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The time I spent as a legal assistant at this law firm (2.5 years) was the most stimulating and rewarding experience I have ever had. Paralegals are challenged to produce high quality, substantive written work and the job requires a unique mix of analytical skills and organization as well as empathy and a genuine interest in people. The work is fast-paced but never, ever boring. The staff are smart, passionate and hilarious people who support each other through the inevitably stressful and heart-rending cases that come with immigration/asylum territory.

Cons

The work load is heavy and the high-stakes nature of immigration law is stressful. Working with traumatized clients can be emotionally draining.

4. "Great Place To Work If You Want to Burn Out Young"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Helping those who are in need of refuge or citizenship is fulfilling and rewarding.

Cons

Long hours, little appreciation, bad management, incredibly high turnover.

5. "Meaningful work, dysfunctional office"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Very meaningful and interesting work. If you want to make a huge and concrete difference in people's lives you absolutely will.

Cons

The office is high-stress, high-workload and high-turnover. The owner is a brilliant lawyer but a poor manager with a sometimes nasty and unpredictable temper. Salaries for comparable positions vary quite a bit, so stand up for yourself in your interview.

"Such a rich experience"

Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I've worked full-time for many years in this office, and the work is never boring. Clients' cases are compelling and important and often emotionally challenging and rewarding. The workplace environment is extremely collaborative and supportive. Mr. Jobe is extremely encouraging and interested in growth and job satisfaction among employees -- first-year associates often get to argue before the Ninth Circuit, for example. Every day, some informal or formal case strategy discussion arises that is intellectually challenging and creative. The combined brain power and drive among the staff - attorneys and paralegals alike - is inspiring and uplifting. Mr. Jobe's general approach to immigration law is incisive persistent, and creative. This place is unlike any other and makes a huge difference in the lives of countless clients and their families.

Cons

Staff work very hard, and the work is high-stakes and high-volume. Through it all, staff support each other and laugh a lot.

"Friendship, Fullfillment, and Growth!!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Law Office of Robert B Jobe full-time

Pros

The clients served are amazing, and the work done for them makes you happy at the end of each day. Mr. Jobe is not only an incredible boss- the best I have had -but a great friend. He is extremely supportive, caring, and always willing to help you learn and grow, both professionally and personally. I would not want to work for anyone else. I have learned by leaps and bounds during the short time I have worked for the firm. The staff is incredible and amazing to work with.

Cons

The office has many clients, and is very fast-paced. I enjoy that environment, but it is not everyone, and it can be very stressful at times. The key is to stay organized, flexible, and open to direction.

"Best Place To Work For."

Former Employee - Legal Assistant/Office Administration in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant/Office Administration in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Law Office of Robert B Jobe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This place is best to work for. Mr. Jobe is a very nice person and employer. He takes cares of his employees. He pays them very well. His staff is very friendly and courteous. They treat you like a family. I have learned many good things from this law firm and gained so much confidence.

Cons

This is the best place to work for. That's all I have to say.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work guys.......Malik

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Paralegal in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Paralegal in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Law Office of Robert B Jobe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Brilliant, well-humored colleagues. Decent pay for what is essentially public interest work. Work is never boring.

Cons

Not for the faint of heart. Staff members are expected to contribute from day one. Can be somewhat of a sink-or-swim environment.

"Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Attorney in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Attorney in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Law Office of Robert B Jobe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I joined the Law Office of Robert B. Jobe as an Associate in 2007, and worked for the firm for more than three years. It was an amazing experience in which I learned a lot about both practicing law and working as part of a team. At the Law Office of Robert B. Jobe, you'll have the opportunity to work with many dedicated, talented professionals who genuinely care about their clients. The collegial culture of the firm provides Associates with plenty of opportunities work closely with many talented Attorneys and Paralegals.

Cons

The work load can be heavy at times, and Associates are expected to produce top notch work under hard deadlines. The Law Office is based in the financial district of downtown San Francisco and parking downtown can be a huge hassle.