Law Offices of James Scott Farrin Reviews | Glassdoor

James Scott Farrin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "I love my job"

Current Employee - Paralegal in Durham, NC

I have been working at Law Offices of James Scott Farrin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly yet competitive workplace
    There is something for everyone
    Professional
    Reliable people
    Fun
    Exciting
    Positive
    Growing
    Compassionate

Cons

Traffic downtown
    Commuting
    Lunch options
    Durham Bulls /DPAC Traffic

Advice to Management

Keep growing as a unit and motivating your staff to continue working for the greater good of our community. You've created an amazing space and company for the people!

2. "Good Workplace"

Pros

Perks, higher than average salary for positions, lot's of freedom to do the job your way.

Cons

Some departments not as well run as others, no training (it's sink or swim), and heavy caseloads.

Advice to Management

Pay closer attention to results over checklist.

"Awesome Work Enviroment"

Current Employee - Paralegal in Durham, NC

Pros

Flexible schedule. Room to grow and advance. The CEO knows everyone's name, very approachable. Feedback sessions are performed on a regular basis. Gorgeous work environment. Strong community involvement. Department manager is genuinely concerned about his employee and their well being. Quarterly meetings with the firm employees to give them an update on where we are in regards to the fiscal year, and plans for the future. Quarterly lunch and learns with the CEO.

Cons

Parking can be a pain during ball season and due to the DPAC shows. With growth comes growing pains, which is to be expected.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep up the good work.

4. "A Place for High Achievers"

I have been working at Law Offices of James Scott Farrin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at the Law Offices of James Scott Farrin is a like a being a member of really good sports team – highly-ambitious people banding together to try to outsmart and outwork the competition. It's hard work and not for everyone, but the sky is the limit for smart, talented people who pull their weight and put their team first.

I would say there are two main benefits to being at JSF, in my experience:

GREAT PLACE TO GROW
    When I started, I heard that JSF had a knack for finding out people’s secret skillsets and developing them. I can say from personal experience, this is true.

I’m working in a role now (a promotion from when I started), that I don’t think I would have had the confidence to pursue had it not been for the encouragement of my manager, peers, and the CEO. My job now could not be a better fit for my interests.

PEOPLE WHO CARE
    I’ve always been a bit of an overachiever, but I quickly realized upon starting at the firm, that I’d met my match(es). But really, it’s wonderful feeling like others care as much as you do. And not just about work.

I’ve gone through some rough personal times while at this job, and have come in to find chocolate on my desk, emails asking how I am, and in general, offers to lean on for support. My manager could not have been more supportive. And I believe this mentality starts at the top.

Cons

I don’t know if is the same now, after all the recent growth and emphasis on creating a positive work environment, but I do remember feeling a bit like I needed to prove myself for the first year or two before being totally welcomed into the fold.

Quality work can often mean intense analysis and occasional criticism. It’s constructive, but it helps to have a thick skin.

Advice to Management

Can’t think of anything I haven’t told them directly.

5. "Paralegal"

Current Employee - Paralegal in Durham, NC

I have been working at Law Offices of James Scott Farrin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours. Great team environment. Room for growth and advancement. Managers have genuine concern for their employees.

Cons

Insurance benefits are not the best but could be a whole lot worse.

"Not a good place."

Former Employee - Employee
    Former Employee - Employee

I worked at Law Offices of James Scott Farrin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice office location. Decent Christmas party. I can't think of anything else. I'm just typing to meet the character requirements.

Cons

Micro Management. No training. Does does care about employees. No trust. Favoritism for the select few. Mass hiring and firing is their culture. Not a comfortable place to work at.

"Legal assistant/paralegal"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I have been working at Law Offices of James Scott Farrin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They took a chance on a newly graduated paralegal who had worked in the medical field for over 20 years. I had just graduated from on line school with an associates in paralegal studies and knew next to nothing about law. They offered me a job and have been helping me learn about personal injury law. The firm is very pro-employee. They offer incentives for work well done and good deeds done. They are about helping others and the environment. And it is all about team work. When I went in for my first interview I received a call the next day that I did not get position but that the lawyer I had interviewed with like me and knew that I would be a great fit for a different department. I then met with two other lawyers and two days later was offered the position. I have not looked back since.

Cons

Had to take a pay cut to join the team but I know that I had no experience.

"Challenge: Be the best you can be."

Former Employee - Paralegal in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Durham, NC

I worked at Law Offices of James Scott Farrin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Law Offices of James Scott Farrin is not the first law firm I've worked for. Though, they are certainly more organized and less "law firm" like, than what I was used to. Yes, professional - but also very laid back. The culture is based around the idea that we (the firm) CAN be the biggest and the best, but we (the team) must BE the best we can be. This means, accountable for efficiency and effectiveness. I was challenged daily to move files, but also to make sure my clients were taken care of and walked through the process of this scary time in their lives. I enjoyed coming into work everyday, and the team of attorneys and paralegals were really that: A team. Everyone jumps in to help, when times get really busy. There are also a lot of folks that have been there for over 10 years. I liked that about the firm. It was a family.

Cons

The firm is growing. As with all things that continue to grow, there are growing pains. Management does a pretty good job of keeping everyone in the loop, before things start to shift. Even little things like moving desks. (which happens a lot).

Advice to Management

Keep up the hard work. Communication is key.

"JSF is a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Paralegal
    Current Employee - Paralegal

Pros

I was really surprised to see negative reviews on here, because this firm is a great place to work. It's honestly the best place I've worked at in my career! Management really seems to care about employees, including the CEO himself. Everyone works together to fight for our clients and there is always something going on to build community.

Cons

It's a big firm and some days there is a lot to do.

Advice to Management

Keep being open with your employees. Programs that allow people to ask questions are great and I think its cool that the CEO keeps everyone informed about what is going on.

"Great workplace for diligent dedicated employees"

Current Employee - Administration in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Administration in Durham, NC

Pros

Hard working professionals doing great work for deserving clients. Outstanding marketing in all mediums, relevant social media presence, qualifed, certified staff with desire to continue their professional education. The CEO knows everyone's name, very approachable, savvy businessman. Willing and eager to see what works, embraces change in the interest of moving forward. The perks are available; beautiful office environment, feedback sessions, social and community involvement. Operations staff are remarkable. Huge percentage of long-term employees is very appealing and says alot. Positive encouragement for consistent producers. Willing to work hard? You'll love it.

Cons

Most offices have the quiet ones, the gossipers, the nose-to-the-grindstone tyes, and this office is no different. Each department is dependent on the manager to set the tone. However, every employee, regardless of position, is responsible for their own efforts. Do little, get little. Dedicate yourself, go the extra mile, keep your standards high and support your team, you will fit in perfectly. With that in mind, I don't care for the lingering gossips. Build eachother up. We all benefit!

Advice to Management

Keep building on your solid foundation. Those who want you to succeed will support your efforts.