Law Offices of James Scott Farrin Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
James Scott Farrin

1. "Great entry level position."

Former Employee - Paralegal in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Durham, NC

I worked at Law Offices of James Scott Farrin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Steady work, decent benefits, decent salary but significant increases were few and far between. Previous experience not usually a requirement.

Cons

No room for advancement; no sense of job security. Morale quickly diminished due to spontaneous layoffs followed by hiring of new employees; minimal employee appreciation.

Advice to Management

Be honest in interviews and proactive about employee performance reviews.

"A nightmare"

I worked at Law Offices of James Scott Farrin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Payroll deducted lunches, a nice view from the office, always work to do, a lot of nice people in the office

Cons

No job security whatsoever - no matter how good you are at your job. They make this very clear by the many waivers you must sign stating you understand you may be let go for any reason and at anytime without any explanation. Morale around the office is TERRIBLE. Mostly due to the aforementioned reasoning. You will get in trouble for other people's mistakes. There is ZERO expectation of privacy... management will rummage through your desk/office. In my time there, I saw many people let go who were never given a chance to correct their mistakes. Management definitely plays favorites. If you are not one, your life will be harder here. They do not close for inclement weather. The attorneys, at all costs, are always right.

Advice to Management

The positive reinforcement that was being pushed on management is a joke. There is no positive reinforcement. Your employees may not all have a law degree, but there are a lot that are as smart or smarter than you, so trust them a little more. Don't play favorites. Be fair.

3. "Paralegal"

I worked at Law Offices of James Scott Farrin full-time

Pros

Incredible place to work!

Cons

Micro-management can be an issue at times

"Go Elsewhere"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I worked at Law Offices of James Scott Farrin (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of good restaurants nearby to eat at during lunch. The job itself is balanced well where you're not overloaded with work.

Cons

Where to begin~

First of all, some of the management seems to favor some employees over others. People can stand around and talk in each other's offices all day and the supervising attorney doesn't say anything. However, if it is someone else, he paces by the office several times a day and feels that he has to make sure you're working. It makes it almost impossible to go ask a co-worker for help or to discuss a situation you need assistance on, without the assumption that you're being "non-productive".

Second, you can't take a bathroom break or walk to a private place to take a phone call without someone following you and reporting it back to the supervising attorney. Then he feels that he needs to stalk you and watch where you're going and what you're doing. To me, this is borderline harassment.

Third, they only give you one holiday off at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Most law firms are on the court schedule and you get 2 days off for Thanksgiving and 3 off for Christmas...not at this place. You get ONE day off and anything additional must be used from your personal time. And if snow/ice comes to the area, they are horrible with closing down the firm. They are more concerned with new clients calling in and the possibility of missing their call than the safety of their employees.

Fourth, the bonuses and raises are a joke. Some people get bonuses and some do not, but the attorneys seem to always get a bonus.

This place has no encouragement for their employee's personal growth. They only care about becoming the largest firm in the state. The communication level is horrible. The managing attorney never directly tells you about any issues or problems but instead goes through another attorney or one of the other paralegals. Some of the older people there are gossip queens because they don't have much of a life outside of work, so they stir up trouble. Very immature environment and the turnover rate is high. They constantly have job postings up on a monthly basis.

If you enjoy drama in the workplace, a manager who stalks your every move, and favoritism, this is the job for you. I would NOT recommend.

Advice to Management

It's not fair to give raises to people who do minimal work and to overlook those who do the majority of the work and not provide them with a pay increase or bonus.

6. "Pleasant and flexible place to work"

Current Employee - Paralegal in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Paralegal in Durham, NC

I have been working at Law Offices of James Scott Farrin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In fairness, JSF has different departments so perhaps not all departments are like mine. However, I find my department to be:

- Flexible regarding time-off
    - Willing to listen to employee suggestions, although they are obviously not always going to follow your suggestions
    - Contra others I do not feel I am micro-managed at all. Management largely leaves me be so long as everything is turned in on time.
    - Most attorneys I've worked with are pretty easy to work with and do not make unreasonable demands. They are not perfect people but neither are they causing me undue stress.
    - If a customer/client complains, JSF does not throw you under the bus. They'll pull the call and see if the customer is actually in the right (they usually aren't).

Cons

- JSF management is not reasonable about taking bad weather days, they have never in my memory closed the office due to bad weather and instead force everyone to use PTO.
    - They give the impression of being reluctant to pay bonuses and this is bad for morale. Bonuses are NOT tied to meeting departmental budgets which just doesn't make any sense. What incentive is there to reach your budget if there's no reward?

Advice to Management

Don't be so cheap when it comes to bad weather days and bonuses.

"Stuck in the JSF cesspool"

Current Employee - Attorney/Used Legal Advice Salesperson in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Attorney/Used Legal Advice Salesperson in Durham, NC

I have been working at Law Offices of James Scott Farrin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a few good people here. Unfortunately none of them are in management. The office location is nice if you live in Durham.

Cons

-Terrible Benefits
    -Forced PTO days
    -Big Brother management
    -Farrin is about the worst firm to have on your CV if you are trying to find a real legal job.
    -Slimeball men with perceived power.
    -Terrible Parking options
    -cheap benefits

Advice to Management

What what I've seen and heard giving advice to management is a waste of time and a great way to get fired.

"If your face don't fit, you gotta quit."

I worked at Law Offices of James Scott Farrin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the management really do try including the CEO to be fair to him

Cons

Some Attorneys have zero management skills or ability to manage. Poor communication, terrible motivation and absolutely zero positive reinforcement. This place will continue to have an extremely high turnover.

Advice to Management

Focus less on beating your staff up daily and focus more on teaching your attorneys how to lead a successfully team.

9. "I love JSF!"

Pros

James Scott Farrin is an amazing place to work, and this is coming from someone with the perspective of having worked for terrible management elsewhere. They do so much for their employees and really care about their employee's success. All members of upper management I have interacted with are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Beautiful office, great co-workers, and definitely somewhere I see myself working long-term. We get surprises like they'll bring in breakfast or lunch usually 1-2 times per month, and we have 12 different varieties of coffee that are free every day for employees (saves me money on Starbucks!). They expect a lot out of their employees, so don't apply unless you actually want to do a great job. I can tell JSF really cares about clients and they will go above and beyond to do anything for them.

Cons

I don't have any complaints. Career growth might not be as good as it could be, but besides that this place is great. I feel like a lot of these negative reviews - people really take the good stuff for granted and they just keep wanting more and more. There are far worse places to work....I know, because I've worked there!

"So so experience"

Pros

None that I can think of other than I like most of my colleagues

Cons

Micromanagement , no flexibility , benefits suck

Advice to Management

Need to offer employees more incentives to keep morale up. Offer better benefits and standard holidays , although they think they are offering standard ones

"Do not work here!"

Pros

Nice office.
    Occasional tickets to Durham Bulls games or the ability to watch games from the balcony.

Cons

Terrible management.
    Hostile work environment.
    Constant micromanaging and oversight.
    Unrealistic quotas not based on actual quality of work.
    Lots of talk about loyalty and support for the company without giving loyalty or support to the workers.
    Regular failure to award raises or bonuses -- followed by talk about how money shouldn't be your motivation to do a good job.
    Terrible employee morale.
    Monitoring of phone calls, email and Internet activity.
    Shady business practices.

... and it all comes from the top down. James Scott Farrin is an ambulance chaser; he's not a good businessman.

Don't trust any of the good reviews you see on this site. Management asks employees to write them, and the employees are too afraid not to.

Advice to Management

Close.