Law360 Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Marius Meland & Magnus Hoglund

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great coworkers and work"

I have been working at Law360 full-time

Pros

Good environment, coworkers, office location, culture.

Cons

Slowly getting sucked into the LexisNexis workflow.

"Lots of learning opportunities, but you are worked to the bone"

I have been working at Law360 full-time

Pros

I've learned a ton about covering the legal world, and am really confident navigating my way around court documents and the court system in general

Cons

The editors don't care about your time. They just shovel more work on you without any regard for how long it might take you to do it or how many hours you've already put in.

3. "Growing company"

Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Law360 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They're always hiring and the people are nice and benefits are good

Cons

Things are in flux with management changes and union effort. Not much of chance for advancement,

"Good and getting better"

Current Employee - Editor
    Current Employee - Editor

I have been working at Law360 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I haven't worked there very long but it seems like some troubles that came to a head earlier this year are being resolved, with the non-compete clause being dropped from contracts, the former managing editor being fired and the employees unionizing. The dust hasn't completely settled yet, and they are still negotiating a new contract, but everyone is very hopeful.

In addition, I appreciate the salary and benefits, the people and environment, the ability to work a flexible schedule and/or from home, and the rigorous training for new hires. Also, it's a new and exciting feeling for me to work at a news organization that is actually growing and thriving rather than in decline or scraping by.

Cons

I guess if you don't like working in a union environment, it's not for you. You're not required to join but I think most people are members.

"Senior reporter"

I have been working at Law360 full-time

Pros

Good pay for reporting position; comprehensive benefits; growing company and subscriber base; opportunity to learn about legal industry and practice areas

Cons

Quota-based assignment system can lead to insignificant events being unnecessarily reported

Advice to Management

Allow more flexibility with the quota system to give both beat and general assignment reporters more time to pursue leads and conduct research for in-depth articles

"Awful management, terrible company to work for"

Former Employee - News Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - News Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Law360 (More than a year)

Pros

Good work from home flexibility, decent paid time off, decent benefits package (thought this has been trimmed recently)

Cons

It's very important for prospective employees of Law360 to know about the behavior of management toward its employees prior to applying for work at the company. In 2015, it came to light that management had tricked its entry-level editorial employees into signing non-compete agreements. I say "tricked" because the employees were not told about these agreements during the hiring process, or at any time thereafter. This became an issue after the company got an ex-employee fired from Reuters, where she had moved to take another reporting job. After the policy came to light, the editorial employees were livid, and demanded that management rescind the policy, which management refused to do. The issue became so heated the New York Attorney General launched an investigation into the company, an investigation that concluded with a court order demanding that Law360 discontinue the practice of shouldering entry-level employees with non-compete agreements. By this point, the employees, of their own volition, had started a movement to unionize the workplace, which they succeeding in doing in the summer of 2016. Rather than acknowledge the union, management brought in union-busting attorneys, dug in its heels and decided to fight its employees over their right to be represented in employment negotiations.

What I've described is the most egregious bit of behavior from a management team that at every turn has displayed that it regards its employees at best as interchangeable drones, or else as a potential threat to be managed. The lack of respect between management and employees, and just the simple lack of communication, made Law360 a hellacious place to work. If you're a journalist, or looking to launch a career in journalism, I would strongly recommend looking elsewhere. Law360's toxic reputation, and its maltreatment of its employees, ensures that any early to mid-career journalist will be setting him or herself at a disadvantage by working for the company.

The management at Law360 cannot be trusted.

Advice to Management

After the Law360 management team's treatment of its employees during the time I worked for the company, I honest don't know how they could improve without radically restructuring the company itself. To begin with, you guys could let your employees unionize. Every day you spend fighting unionization causes further damage to your reputation and your relationship to your employees.

"Third-Party Content Editor"

I have been working at Law360 full-time

Pros

Very laid-back, competitive salaries, can work from home whenever.

Cons

Lack of communication among management, very little oversight - both a pro and a con - if you need direction to do your job or a lot of support, you won't like it.

"Jaw-Droppingly Awful Company"

Former Employee - Reporter
    Former Employee - Reporter

I worked at Law360 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible about working from home, one week off between Christmas and new years, decent benefits

Cons

Very few opportunities to do meaningful work, insane quota system, no work/life balance, regular late night texts/emails from overworked copy desk, minimal compensation for overtime, reporting is rushed and sloppy, mandatory sycophantic profiles of subscribers, bad journalistic practices, very low editorial standards, zero oversight from editors who never read your stories, problematic culture, everyone who works there is overworked and miserable

Advice to Management

Get rid of the non-compete clause that suppresses salaries and keeps employees stuck at the company against their will and start treating your staff right.

"Working at Law360 may stifle your journalism career"

Former Employee - Senior Reporter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Reporter in New York, NY

I worked at Law360 (More than a year)

Pros

great reporters and editors, good snacks

Cons

Law360 has a draconian non-compete agreement that prevents reporters from leaving and working at places like Reuters and Bloomberg for an entire year after leaving. If you want a career in legal journalism, run away.

"Finally... A People Focused Company"

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Law360 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great People To Work With
    No Egos
    Great Product which is easy to sell
    Marketing Department Actually works with sales to promote the product and generate leads
    Management is focused on building a great culture
    Amazing, well thought out new location in Chelsea
    Great & fair comp plan
    Relaxed dress code
    Highly selective with regards to hiring

Cons

None to really point to at the moment ( yes I know it sounds to good to be true)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing cause frankly... it's working