Lawline.com Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Lawline.com CEO David Schnurman
David Schnurman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to work and grow"

I worked at Lawline.com full-time

Pros

Very energized environment with smart, outgoing friendly people who really care about doing great work. Management makes big efforts to create and maintain the healthiest culture I have ever seen.

Cons

There are no downsides at all

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing

2. "A great small company that lets everyone have a direct impact"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Lawline.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team is highly competent, flexible, agile, and fun to be around. There are a lot of great perks like working from home, company lunches, and company health events. There is very open communication between departments and between leadership and the rest of the team, so it's easy to see the inner workings of the company. Overall, it's a good place to learn about what it takes to run a small, growing company.

Cons

The work itself isn't the most exciting, especially for those in entry level positions. Unless you have an interest in the legal industry, it can be hard to motivate yourself to learn all the ins and outs. Additionally, because the company is rapidly expanding, some projects can seem a little unfocused and disorganized. The final con (which may be a pro for some people) is that career growth within the company is undefined—it is not clear what the next promotion will look like. This can make it difficult to grow because it's completely a matter of self advocacy.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to continue refining company organization and communication between leadership in the team, and to invest in better management training for leaders.

"Great company that keeps on improving"

I worked at Lawline.com full-time

Pros

- Continually looking for ways to improve processes and employee life
    - Great office
    - Great people

Cons

- Industry itself can be a bit boring at times (not the fault of the company)

Advice to Management

Keep striving to refine and progress in regards to culture and processes

"Seeking an entry-level position? Look elsewhere"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

Pros

Flexible work hours
    Value themselves heavily on company culture
    Friendly coworkers

Cons

No room for corporate ladder growth at all
    Base salary, even for an entry level position, is very unappealing
    Commission structure is pathetic
    CEO is greedy and is only concerned with the money going into his own pockets
    To sum it all up:
    This is a company that is looking to hire young men and women straight out of college who are desperate for work and will accept minimal pay. They recycled members of the sales team every month if they felt you weren't reaching your quota, which was most of the time unattainable and unrealistic. Job consists strictly of cold calling and offers no room of opportunity to grow within the company.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to get everyone on board to "drink the Kool-Aid" and worship your so-called "company values" at every morning sales meeting, and focus more on retaining your current staff, offering an ideal pay structure, and treat fellow employees as well as you treat your money.

Jun 14, 2016 – Director, HR & Legal

Over the past several years (since we last had an in-house sales department), Lawline has prioritized employee feedback highly. We provide support for our employees professional and personal goals... More

5. "Being Happy At Work Matters"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

There's a wonderful fluidity of working with all departments. This is because of the great driven people here and the full transparency the leaders offer. No one wants to end up with an Enron. The leaders allow you to create and plan on your own. With this freedom comes great responsibility but in no means do they not support. In recent years there's a clearer direction. You truly feel like you're contributing to the company.

Just working here is already amazing (it's my best job to date). The culture is truly genuine and awesome. Then Lawline offers great benefits like gym, 401k, health, and life insurance to boot. The Thursday lunches, work from home Wednesday, the weekly fresh direct order, the clean office...you can't help but feel happy and at home here.

Cons

Depending on the position, there's no much upward mobility. You can really peak in a position but the ceiling only goes so high.

A company is not without it's fault but you can always talk to the leaders without fear of consequences or an unsympathetic response.

Advice to Management

More concentration on the right projects. Trying too many ways because one doesn't work gets a little frustrating.

Keep up the great work with the company, culture, and guidance. Thank you for listening to us.

Nov 22, 2016 – Business Operations Assistant

Thank you for your feedback, and you’re absolutely right: concentrating on the right projects and getting the best use out of our time should be a priority. We love ambition, so the ability to keep... More

"Good company, atmosphere, and enthusiastic"

I worked at Lawline.com full-time

Pros

No micromanaging
    Gym membership
    Motivated company
    Room for growth (for new employees)
    Team building events
    Work with good people
    Learn a lot
    Open minded

Overall, a lot of opportunity here.....

Cons

Not many, eventually you may hit a growth spurt, but until then, lots to learn and room to grow here. No micromanaging from managers or owner, but you should keep track of your accomplishments so you can show what you do every day. Turnover was high when I left because most employees didn't have a clear path, could have changed.

Advice to Management

Try to set a clearer priority for all employees. Value the work each employee does, try and communicate more with each employee on a regular basis.

Nov 22, 2016 – Business Operations Assistant

Thank you for your feedback. Over the past few months Lawline has created job scorecards for every single position at our company, including the CEO, which detail set KPI’s and in turn, provide clear... More

"Accreditation Specialist"

Current Employee - Accreditation Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Accreditation Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Lawline.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lawline has an amazing company culture. The fact that your coworkers are actually your friends in the office makes the day-to-day so much easier and more fun. My direct coworkers are incredibly dependable and reliable, and the larger team consistently offers amazing encouragement and support as well. There is a lot of emphasis on team building and socializing, which manifests as weekly office lunches and a spattering of out-of-office events and gatherings.

Cons

Prior to the group I came in with, there seems to be a fairly high turnover rate.

Advice to Management

We love group events!

"Kickstart Your Career"

I have been working at Lawline.com full-time

Pros

Best reason to work at Lawline? This company provides an incredible opportunity to realize your potential and build your professional experience.

I began at Lawline as a Customer Support Specialist in 2012 and it was my first professional role after graduating from college. Within this role, I learned about the product and company very quickly from constantly communicating with all members of the organization internally and assisting customers in every type of way. After just a few months I was given the opportunity to assist with marketing responsibilities including email and search engine marketing. Over the course of a year, this role grew into overseeing all marketing and sales operations.

In this flat organization, leadership is not centralized, but rather is expected from each individual employee. Everyone is expected to contribute to the growth of the company, which allows all employees the opportunity to share their ideas and engage in a meaningful way towards the growth of the company. The culture here values creativity and supports growth while demanding hard work.

If you are looking to grow as an individual and as a professional, Lawline is a great place to kickstart your career...or continue it's growth.

Cons

Lawline is a small company trying to grow. Not much is set in stone and things change fast and often. If you are adaptable to change and can pivot easily, then this can lead to opportunity. If not, then it can be very frustrating.

Advice to Management

Continue to embrace change and focus on the development of company culture. The growth of the company will be fueled by the individuals that grow within it.

Nov 22, 2016 – Business Operations Assistant

As you discussed, we are a small and growing company. We have embraced “Grow” as one of our five core values because it’s something we feel we should always be doing; as a 10-year-old company, or as... More

"Have a Voice, Make an Impact, Expand Your Network"

Current Employee - Program Attorney in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Program Attorney in New York, NY

I have been working at Lawline.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I could start by saying I love Lawline because of the culture, health / commuter benefits, work / life balance and vacation time. And those things, although also very important, are just the benefits. From an actual work perspective, what differentiates Lawline as a company for me is the very real ability to have a voice and make a real impact on the strategies and goals of a company that, in turn, has a real impact on the legal industry.

Lawline has succeeded in creating an environment where every employee, regardless of their role, can feel open to share their insights into the improvement, direction and overall strategy of almost every aspect of the company's operations. Specifically, I have the daily opportunity to sit-side-by-side with the CEO, COO and GC of the company on any given day to brainstorm, give feedback as well as learn from their experiences.

In addition, because Lawline has such a large reach in the legal community, I am challenged to be at the forefront of important legal issues, trends and developments. I am also given the unique opportunity to speak, shake hands and engage with top leaders in the legal industry. This keeps me continuously connected to the legal community, has expanded my network immensely and has allowed me to continuously grow - both professionally and personally.

If you are someone who wants to work for a company that is business-oriented but also values creativity - this is definitely a great company to be a part of!

Cons

While the company genuinely tries to retain and advance employees internally, there sometimes isn't a clear track to grow beyond a specific position. The company does, however, have key employees who have gone from entry level to director level and also does support outward growth.

Advice to Management

Never stop engaging in the big ideas but be picky with ones to implement to ensure focused initiatives!

"Lawline Will Change Your Life"

I have been working at Lawline.com full-time

Pros

I started at Lawline as an intern. In three years I grew to help run the company in stride with the founder. That should say quite a bit right there and attest to the unbelievable ride that is potentially waiting.

If you are a person that executes, learns, takes risks, and accepts accountability in loss while sharing credit in victory, then you'll get the most out of Lawline, no matter your experience or position.

I can't speak for what the environment has been since I left in 2013, but from my four years there I can say the culture is what you help shape it into. It's yours for the molding. You are not walking into an organization with a top-down approach that you must accept or leave; rather, you are entering one that you can iterate upon and alter with your uniqueness. The people that were most successful at Lawline saw this and helped grow it substantially to create its product, revenues, and culture.

If you are looking for an opportunity to make an impact, achieve with a talented team, build your expertise, find your strengths, develop as a professional (and person), and learn from people you will admire, then seek a position here. (Note: Additionally, if you want to work here, do something that stands out in the hiring process and be true to your personality. It is welcomed... but you should do that anywhere you apply).

I came into Lawline as a very green professional: immature (professionally), somewhat quiet, and inexperienced, yet I had a few solid raw materials waiting to be developed. With guidance and mentoring from the CEO and the rest of the team, I found which of my talents I could grow into true strengths, and as a result I became a rather bold, daring, and analytically-minded professional that has experienced a great deal of professional success.

I owe much of this to Lawline and all the people there.

Thank you.

Cons

I believe the cons are less about the business itself and more about the market and product limitations.

Without the aggressive creation of new product lines, the total available market (TAM) makes expansion difficult inside the legal industry itself. Simultaneously, the sole focus on content within the legal industry creates a dynamic that makes its product's applicability to new vertical markets equally difficulty.

These are growth limiters and without resolution, you may eventually (3-4 years in) reach an inherent stagnation in your role without (and, ironically, that is antagonistic to the personality of a person that is an ideal match at Lawline). However, hopefully by that time you'll help find a new solution, which you will most certainly have the opportunity for.

Bottom line: If you have the opportunity to work here, take it. It'll be one of the wisest decisions of your life.

Good luck.

Advice to Management

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.