Lawrence Hall Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Meaningful Work, Supportive Environment, Relevant Experience"

Former Employee - Licensed Clinical Social Worker in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Licensed Clinical Social Worker in Chicago, IL

I worked at Lawrence Hall full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

After graduating with my MSW degree, I was hired as a Therapist/Case Manager in 2011 and departed as the Director of Residential Services in 2015. I had the opportunity to do meaningful clinical work with young men who had a variety of different social, emotional, behavioral and educational needs. This experience assisted me in building a strong clinical foundation working with people who need support. As a therapist, I facilitated individual and group therapy sessions in a structured environment. Beyond therapy, I gained valuable experience attending client IEP educational meetings, family/criminal court cases and facilitating relevant inter/intra agency staffing meetings. I received clinical supervision toward my LCSW and had opportunities for relevant paid internal and external trainings.

I was trained in Therapeutic Crisis Intervention (TCI) and learned how to manage myself and others during crises, which are useful skills to have during crises which can and do occur working with a population of young people with significant trauma histories. This training has served me well during my time at Lawrence Hall and beyond.

As an administrator, I had the opportunity to represent Lawrence Hall in broader industry meetings and work groups, which allowed greater insight to macro issues facing residential facilities and the greater social service community. I had the opportunity to work for and with people of high ability, character and integrity who have track records working in social services and do this work for the right reasons - to help this underserved population.

Lawrence Hall is a great place to start a career, as well as a place to grow as a professional. Depending on your career goals, there are many opportunities once in the agency and there is always room for those of us looking to make a difference in a supportive and challenging environment.

Cons

I cannot list any specific personal cons while working at Lawrence Hall but can bring up some concerns I heard from others when there. People always want higher salaries. I found Lawrence Hall compensation competitive with peer agencies for the work done with generous paid time off and good health insurance. People have complained the work can be difficult, and it can be difficult. That said, there is support in place with regular supervision and management has an open door policy to address greater concerns. While the population can be challenging, the work is incredibly rewarding and I built positive relationships with almost all the youth I worked with while there. With the challenges comes growth and perspective. The challenging environment allows us to grow as mental health professionals and interpersonally as human beings. The skills and experience I gained working at Lawrence Hall set me apart from most applicants when looking for internal or external job opportunities.

Advice to Management

1. Keep up the amazing work you are doing.
    2. Keep listening to your employees for relevant feedback.
    3. Keep listening to the youth/families you serve to ensure all needs are being met.
    4. Take time to reflect on your many accomplishments in moving this agency forward.

2. "Supervisor"

I worked at Lawrence Hall full-time

Pros

The opportunity to make some good connections with staff and students

Cons

Poorly managed, there is no confidentiality in the human resources department or with upper management, staff is grossly underpaid and there's no support for the staff. In addition, its clear their objective is making money and not making a difference in the children's lives

Advice to Management

Do better and invest in your quality staff. Clearly you account for the extremely high turnover rate but it would seem smarter to care about your current employees and treat them with respect for the jobs they do

"Job responsibilities were not inline with compensation"

Former Employee - Therapist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Therapist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Lawrence Hall full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Staff and clients are great to work with

Cons

Management was challenging to work with at times and there is little value placed on staff at times. Also not a lot of room for growth

4. "Program Manager"

I worked at Lawrence Hall full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, great youth, exposure to many different areas of child welfare, staff are passionate about working with youth. Management is supportive and care about employees.

Cons

Have to work with DCFS, few opportunities for advancement, high turnover.

5. "Cws"

Pros

Supportive leadership despite turnover and change

Cons

Pay too low and computers are crappy

Advice to Management

More pay and better IT equipment

6. "CWS"

Pros

Great internal support from management and colleagues in the chaos that usually is child welfare.

Cons

The system and the state make this position difficult to maintain. The pay does not promote keeping good people.

Advice to Management

Explore pay to keep talented, committed individuals.

"ok organazation"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Lawrence Hall (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers, laid back environment, building relationships with some of the Clients

Cons

upper management, low pay, getting blamed for what the Clients did

"Low pay"

Former Employee - Residential Treatment Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Residential Treatment Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Lawrence Hall (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ot available all the time

Cons

No rises and no support from the administration

Advice to Management

Support staff

"Life Skills Educator"

Former Employee - Life Skills Educator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Life Skills Educator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Lawrence Hall full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You are challenged to interact and try to bring forth a positive change in not only the clients, but also in your co-workers. You bond with your co-workers and clients through the struggles that arise.

Cons

This Older Adolescent Program is very disorganized. They moved me around without warning and the inconsistency between sites was nauseating. No one did anything the same way, so I always had to re-learn or learn something new altogether to be on the same page.

All of the employees are either working two jobs or not giving a damn about doing a good job, so the motivation to be there was non-existent for me. Also, most of the staff was older people who, a lot of times, were either not able to or refused to combat the ideals that were instilled in them early in their lives and blatantly disrespected the clients because of their life choices, despite the fact that we have sensitivity training and the things they said sometimes had me in disbelief. It was awful.
    I can, but I will not complain about the salary because I knew that it was a non-for-profit when I started and non-for-profits are not going to pay well for what, at the end of the day, is grunt work.

It is so funny how they made it seem like something so much more than it actually was while we were in training. Such a joke.

Oh! And I was on probation for 6 MONTHS. No PTO (paid time off) that whole time. Good thing I never got sick. And good thing my friends understood that I was not blowing them off, but I just could not afford to miss or take a day off.

I would not wish having to work at this place on anyone.

Advice to Management

Take note of what is going on in all aspects of the organization. You need to ensure the physical and mental well-being of everyone, employees and clients. If your mission is to prepare the clients for a better life than what their parents could give them, then do not move them into Auburn Gresham and Inglewood. That makes no sense. Those neighborhoods are not conducive to growth and do not show them anything that they would not be able to see being homeless. Do better because right now, your organization is all talk and no action. You all do not deserve the money that you receive.

"Difficult Work"

Pros

There are no pros--except working with the youth.

Cons

Administration doesn't care about the needs of its workers.

Advice to Management

Try and do direct care work and see how difficult it is.