Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Reviews | Glassdoor

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Director Bill Goldstein
Bill Goldstein

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Being a government job, there's a lot of red tape (in 25 reviews)

• High cost of living in the area (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Veterans in Energy Technology & Science"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time

Pros

I was an employee at LLNL from 2008-2013. I was laid off with several other co-workers. The outreach Officer from the Veterans group at LLNL reached out to me and assisted me in finding a new career at LLNL. Even though I am not a Veteran, I still feel that there is very much a family atmosphere at LLNL and I am very grateful to be apart of that family. Thanks VETS!

Cons

No cons at this time.

Advice to Management

Love my career!

"Mechanical Engineer"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Leading edge technologies, large scale projects, $1 billion budget, and great benefits and employee resources.

Cons

Real estate in Livermore is too expensive/risky. To own on a single income, commuting is almost a necessity.

"Very stable and people friendly company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Livermore, CA

Pros

Excellent benefits that are hard to match anywhere else, great life/work balance, competitive pay, and a real "people" company

Cons

Hiring process is slower due to government security checks, campus is very large and could be hard to navigate

4. "Very good life/work balance in a family friendly town"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Interesting work, good retirement benefits, and a stable job

Cons

Expensive area to work in.

5. "Best"

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cutting age research in many fields
    World class research
    Teams of pros where working together in multi discipline approaches encouraged at all levels

Cons

Cost of living in area is high but close to San Francisco and other culture and outdoor activity

Finding your places or where to begin is daunting at first but finding others gets this right

Advice to Management

Keep employees first

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Response

Sep 18, 2017 – Employee Relations Program Leader

Thank you for your review. LLNL is definitely working on cutting edge science and research in various disciplines. It takes a little time to learn the Lab culture and resources available as it does... More

6. "intern"

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

Pros

challenging but an amazing place to work

Cons

difficult to adjust at first because its so large

7. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very interesting research/work being done here. Huge campus, over 1 square mile in size. Good work life balance.

Cons

Can be slow at times as this is the Federal Government.

8. "Vets Groups is Awesome!!!"

Current Employee - Directorate Security Officer in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Directorate Security Officer in Livermore, CA

Pros

I had the privilege of working with the LLNL vets group in obtaining my current position as a Directorate Security Officer (DSO). The vets group helped me find positions based on my military skill set and also walked me through the entire application process all the way through the actual offer. Since I have been employed, the vets group has been a great resource to use and to meet other vets and to further expand my professional network. I am now very happy to be employed with LLNL and now a member of the LLNL vets group. If you are a veteran looking for employment with the lab, please reach out to the vets group. Thanks

Cons

no downsides that I have seen

Advice to Management

Continue to support the Vets group

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Response

Sep 5, 2017 – Employee Relations Program Leader

Thank you for your review. The VETS group, which is one of LLNL's Employee Resource Groups, has a new leadership team whose focus continues to be on supporting veterans' activities both internal... More

9. "Happy to be here!"

Current Employee - Office Assistant
    Current Employee - Office Assistant

Pros

The lab so far has been a very easy going and enjoyable place to work. It offers many amenities to its employee to help them succeed with a work life balance.

Cons

The hiring process takes anywhere form 2-3 months.

10. "LLNL continues as a great place to work."

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

* Very interesting work of great variety. If you feel you're getting stale, you can take another assignment in a different technology without having to move/change employers.
    * Good work/life balance. LLNL offers fitness classes, farmers market, technical and non-technical speakers, occasional on-site luncheon entertainment, babysitting, etc.
    * Great continuing education support.
    * Good pay / very good benefits.
    * Generally promotes from within for lower and middle management.
    * Relatively stable and secure.
    * Friendly people.
    * Nice campus.

Cons

* No equity. Formerly, the generous pension compensated, but that's no longer available.
    * Not very dynamic. Definitely not a start-up. You give up a rapid upward potential for the stability and work/life balance.
    * Bureaucratic. It is government. But this bureaucracy has helped it maintain an impressive record of safety and security.

Advice to Management

I've spent nearly my entire career here and am now semi-retired. Ten years ago, LLNL went from public management (UC) to private (consortium) and dropped its super-generous pension to instead a 401K. (Employees current at the time were grandfathered to the pension if they wanted.) At the time, I thought that this move would increase turnover and ruin the culture. After ten years, I haven't seen it - it's still a very nice, friendly place to work with low turnover. I credit the senior management.