Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Reviews | Glassdoor

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Director Bill Goldstein
Bill Goldstein

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • lots of red tape and government policies (in 23 reviews)

• things move slow, lots of bureaucracy (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Business Operations Specialist in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Business Operations Specialist in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have worked here for nearly ten years and my only regret is not coming here sooner! I love the science being done; it's exciting and it feels good to be part of something so important to our national security. It's also located in a great area for families and has quickly become a terrific place to go for beer/wine and great restaurants. It's a small community for being a fairly large "corporation". Friendly staff and positive environment. I couldn't be happier!

Cons

Purchasing a home in LIVERMORE is rather expensive.
    Being a government contractor, things sometimes take a little longer to get done than on the outside. A lot of rules and policies to abide by.

Advice to Management

Continue to seek out the next generation of employee 's to stay on the cutting edge of science and technology!

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Response

Nov 3, 2016

Great advice! It is critical to look to employees to help push cutting edge science and technology.

2. "LLNL: an excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Researcher in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Researcher in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent work–life balance, professional culture, top-knotch benefits and compensation, job security, access to cutting-edge scientific equipment and resources, stable funding, opportunities for domestic and international collaboration, smart coworkers.

Cons

High cost of living in Bay Area.

Advice to Management

N/A.

3. "Public Information Officer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work/life balance is encouraged
    Good educational assistance program
    Good people who care about the mission
    Pretty stable and secure employment
    Alternate Work Schedules (flex-time, 9/80, etc.)
    Committed to providing a safe and secure work environment
    Diversity and Inclusion is a top priority

Cons

Benefits not as competitive as industry
    Commute to get to the Lab from affordable housing is horrendous
    Lack of career mentorship for non-technical positions
    Frequent budget freezes preventing salary increases
    Inequities across laboratory organizations in regards to salary targets, recognition, hiring practices, etc.

Advice to Management

Look to be more competitive as far as disability/maternity/paternity leave options
    Increase consistency and streamline operational practices across all laboratory organizations

4. "Summer Intern at LLNL"

Current Employee - Summer Intern in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Summer Intern in Livermore, CA

Pros

The best working place ever. Decent salary, nice employees, many things that I can learn from here, weather is good

Cons

Food court needs to be expanded to a dinner, additional snack bars to be open for a longer time (By the way, we can just go out side of LLNL to grab some foods though)

5. "@LLNL"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Livermore, CA

Pros

With 28 years at LLNL it has provided me with significant opportunity to grow and nurture a great career.

Cons

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory being a government funded workplace it is much tough to compete salary wise with other employers. But they do come close.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your employees with training and growth opportunities. Establish larger training budgets so that employees can learn on the job.

6. "Large Number of Interesting Projects"

Former Intern - Global Security in Livermore, CA
    Former Intern - Global Security in Livermore, CA

I worked at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Many opportunities to move to new projects
    Many interesting projects being worked on

Cons

Located in the more arid region of California

"Operations Recognized for Enabling Mission"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

Pros

I have spent my career working on the operational and infrastructure side of LLNL. The operational staff at LLNL enable national security mission every single day. I am very happy to see the that the LLNL senior management has really made a concerted effort to acknowledge and communicate the accomplishments on the operational side of the lab as well as the scientific side. This inclusive communication strategy goes a long way to help us retain the incredible workforce that we have at LLNL. Thank you!

Cons

LLNL provides incredible worklife activities such as onsite lecture series (top notch authors and speakers), farmers market in conjunction with Sandia, annual car show, shopping events, and more. The con is that our employees are so passionate about their work that many do not take a break from their work to get out of their offices to take advantage of these incredible offerings. My recommendation is that they should take a quick break – they will learn something and be refreshed afterward.

Advice to Management

Continue the increased transparency. The lab values ensure our success: ideas, impact, integrity, inclusiveness and zeal.

8. "Lawrence Livermore"

Former Intern - DHS in Livermore, CA
    Former Intern - DHS in Livermore, CA

I worked at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Everybody that works here is extremely intelligent and nice. They throw all kinds of activities for their employees and really make the going to work enjoyable.

Cons

I can not think of anything. Working here was absolutely perfect.

Advice to Management

None

9. "US Military Veteran Document Control"

Current Employee - Administrative Specialist IV in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Specialist IV in Livermore, CA

Pros

My job as a Marine Corps Infantryman opened the door for me to the lab as an Officer on the Security Force. Using the labs many career development opportunities with support of excellent managers and the labs VETS group I was able to grow into a completely new career field. This has opened up even more opportunities for advancement.

Cons

As in all work environments, resistance to change is a problem. Modernization needs to take place. It is happening, but not as fast as it should.

Advice to Management

Encourage and require advancement in lab employee's skill set. The opportunities are already in place, but the middle managers are not really pushing employees to learn, grow and advance. Too many are coasting, this includes managers.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Livermore, CA

Pros

Lots of really smart people. Great benefits. Ability to change career direction drastically by moving between groups and job types. Directorates are like different companies with there own culture and you can easily switch between them if you have issues or just want to try something different. College tuition assistance. Crazy amount of affinity groups for lunch/outside work activities. (From a quilter group to a Martial arts dojo onsite!)

Cons

Clearance process is onerous and time to completion is totally unpredictable. Took about a year for my clearance to come through. Some it only takes a couple months, and some a few years.
    Dependence on government funding means that congress' mood affects your raises and job security.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work; I feel valued at many levels.