Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Director Bill Goldstein
Bill Goldstein

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance is the biggest advantage" (in 111 reviews)

• "I see the lab working hard to be a great place to work, which it is" (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • "Being a government contractor does mean there is a lot of red tape" (in 40 reviews)

• "Of course, the cost of living in the Bay Area makes the 'good' salaries not reach as far" (in 16 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time

Pros

Great work/life balance, flexible work schedule options, very steady and secure job, great/supportive management

Cons

Subject to some government bureaucracy, but that just comes with the territory

2. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time

Pros

Great work/life balance. A lot of opportunities to grow. Great benefits

Cons

Can easily get lost in the environment.

3. "Nice place to work"

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time

Pros

Great people, great projects, competitive salaries

Cons

Fast paced, old culture is tough to break through

4. "Excellent place for a CAREER"

Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As a scientist at the Lab, I have had a range of 'jobs,' all interesting and relevant to the needs of the country. I have done some great research and also worked in a more applied/operational area. My work life balance is pretty great and teamwork has been a total plus within the groups I have been a part of. The benefits are excellent as well.

Cons

While pay is good, the process to increase your pay is in small steps, so you have to take the long view regarding your salary trajectory. Of course, the cost of living in the Bay Area makes the 'good' salaries not reach as far. There is the bureaucracy associated with working at a national lab, of course, but I have adjusted to that as a necessary evil. Also, the priorities of sponsors can sometimes change faster than we are able to which means you can end up being tasked with a lot of short turnaround offshoot projects that are aimed to impress sponsors and bring in more money. These are not always effective.

Advice to Management

Continue the work toward making the Lab a flexible, diverse, and welcoming work environment. The changes are being felt around the lab and they are welcomed.

5. "Fitness Attendant"

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory part-time

Pros

great people,flexible hours,great for students

Cons

lower pay, lots of sitting

Advice to Management

more job opportunities for youth

"Very nice place to work"

Current Employee - Writer/Editor in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Writer/Editor in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good salary and perks, friendly people excellent work/life balance. They do not run you into the ground. They allow you to explore where you're happiest and may pay for additional education needed.

Cons

Doesn't have the sexiness of Silicon Valley, but real work is done here.

Advice to Management

Focus on the value of the work. Don't try to compete with Silicon Valley on the holy grail du jour, whether "diversity" or other.

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Response

Oct 11, 2018 – Recruiting Group Leader

Thank you for your review. LLNL has very good perks/benefits and also offers education assistance for eligible employees. We hope you are able to take advantage of these benefits!

7. "Mechanical Engineer"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

LLNL feels like 10 companies on a single square mile. The opportunities are seemingly endless. I've always enjoyed and balance of Operations and Design. LLNL has provided numerous options to explore.

Cons

A significant portion of the employment population is nearing retirement. This creates and combination of opportunity and challenge.

Advice to Management

With the complexities of the technologies, hazards, and Clearance, stepping into a new role can be daunting. Perhaps mentoring individuals to targeted roles can help.

8. "Business Analyst"

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I see the lab working hard to be a great place to work, which it is! Awesome science takes place here everyday...it's satisfying to know we are helping our nation not only in weapons but medical advances and so much more.

Cons

Old school system of ranking employees to determine raise. It essentially boils down to a popularity contest. If you have a boss that likes you, you can expect a great raise no matter your work output. The opposite is true as well.

Advice to Management

Find a new way to review employees that removes the boss' personal bias from the process. Continue working to find innovative ways to attract new talent as this is an aging workforce!

9. "World-Class Lab Doing World-Class Work"

Current Employee - Physicist
    Current Employee - Physicist

Pros

LLNL hires some of the world's smartest people and lets them work on the world's hardest problems. It has cutting edge-research facilities that provide access to conditions analogous to the most extreme in the universe. Computation is also a key capability at LLNL, and it possesses some of the world's fastest supercomputers.

The location is a great one, and the people are great to work with.

Cons

Red tape: LLNL is a government contractor, and the delays and bureaucracy associated with such work are certainly present. It is generally isolated from the more partisan politics, but budgets can be influenced by what is currently in favor.

10. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time

Pros

Our tag line of "having the smartest square mile on earth" is what originally intrigued me to look into the Lab further. It is important to me to work for an organization that is not only doing something interesting that I can learn from but is giving back to the nation in a key critical way making me a proud employee. We do have the opportunity to work with brilliant and collaborative colleagues on a very important mission. There are always opportunities to learn and continue to grow while being professionally challenged along the way.

Work-life balance is something that is highly supported by the organization.

The organization offers strong 401k contributions and supports employee education reimbursement.

There are also diverse, culturally enriching activities that allow you to take time away from your desk in meaningful ways. The onsite gym and fitness classes are awesome as well!

Cons

Things can move a bit more slowly in comparison to outside industry. This can be a side effect of working for a government organization as it increases our regulatory compliance commitments. If you have the skills and flexibility to learn to properly navigate as needed this becomes less of a burden.

Advice to Management

Thank you for taking such good care of us! It is refreshing to work for an organization that truly appreciates and supports their employees as people first.