Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Director Bill Goldstein
Bill Goldstein

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance is the biggest advantage" (in 100 reviews)

• "As a grad student: lots of resources, cutting edge research opportunities" (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • "Being a government contractor does mean there is a lot of red tape" (in 38 reviews)

• "High cost of living in Bay Area" (in 15 reviews)

1. "Long term full time (29yrs), now part time for a contractor"

Current Employee - Senior Physicist in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Physicist in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Large projects involve workers of many disciplines and varied experience. The process encourages/requires review of each other's work. This helps to minimize errors and maximize the likelihood of success.

Cons

This approach can slow the process down, and one must be open to critique of his or her ideas. But the result is a better product.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote teamwork and a multidisciplinary approach to projects.

2. "So much better than the corporate world!"

Current Employee - Machinist in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Machinist in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best thing about my work here is the pace. Out in the corporate world it is "GO GO GO!" However, here at the lab it's a MUCH slower pace. A lot of importance is put on taking your time and doing the job safely and well.

Safety is another key plus. It is taken extremely seriously here. You will never be asked to do something unsafe to get a job done on time.

Cons

One of the very few cons is that things happen slowly at the lab. Sometimes that's by design, but sometimes it's because of the red tape. When you learn to sit back a bit and enjoy the slower pace, it does become a bit less frustrating.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

3. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time

Pros

Great work-life balance. Goood management. High-quality workforce.

Cons

Government regulations/policies, and security measures. Would be nice to be able to bring family in.

4. "Technician"

Current Employee - Senior Scientific Technologist in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Scientific Technologist in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been working here for more than 25 years. It is a great place to work. The people who work here are top notch and the opportunity to expand your skills and move between positions is pretty much limitless.

Cons

Funded by the federal government which means documentation of all activities.

5. "Group Leader IT related functions"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Livermore, CA

Pros

Cooperative and dedicated staff in support the nation's security and innovation needs. An overwhelming amount of the staff is dedicated to the Laboratory's missions and not to the how to make more money for share holders or management. Good opportunities for continuous training and self improvement. Safe and secure environment for long term employment.

Cons

Lack of upward mobility. Most technical talented employees end up leaving the lab for other high tech positions in the area.

Advice to Management

High tech for profit firms are taking your trained staff. The lab needs to compete with better career choices and work life balance. Less bureaucracy, more results.

6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Livermore, CA

Pros

Great people, great environment, and the freedom to move between jobs in a campus of about 7000 people. I've had multiple jobs at LLNL in my 30+ year career here and have enjoyed them all. I can always find one of the world's experts here onsite, in whatever field I need, to help solve difficult problems. I feel that this is a place of inclusion and openness, and always striving to become better all the time.

Cons

Too many geese that leave messes on our sidewalks. Sometimes the communication from the top down can take too long, but is still happens.

Advice to Management

Be fair, open, and with a mindset of inclusion and diversity. Make sure to communicate issues, positive or negative, quickly, even if you don't have all the information. Just state that fact.

7. "Great projects. Progress too slow, government overhead makes things slow."

Current Employee - Software Developer in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance, interesting work

Cons

Location is way overpriced, pay doesn’t compensate

8. "Technical Associate"

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time

Pros

Great work environment, friendly staff, work-life balance.

Cons

Cost of living in Livermore is absurd while commute times, since no one can afford to live near the lab, are getting worse by the day.

9. "LLNL is Wonderful and Getting Better All the Time!"

Pros

AMAZING work-life programs! Very easy to have a wonderful career AND a life outside of work. Most managers are super flexible and understanding. Really cool on-site programs like Author talks, tons of fitness options, great special events, live music, a farmers market, nice walking paths, wildlife, etc.. Lots of really great science and opportunities to work on very interesting projects. People here are friendly and engaging.

Cons

LOTS of old processes and red tape . A bit "historic"- many things need to be updated (but it appears they are working on these -- lots of construction happening).

Advice to Management

Make it easier to share our ideas and suggestions.

10. "It's a government job.."

Current Employee - Lighting Technician
    Current Employee - Lighting Technician

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

very laid back, no one hounding on you to increase production all the time, good pay, good hours, Decent benefits and retirement, great place if you are tired and looking to retire. wonderful cafeteria.

Cons

If you are not ready to keel over/retire, a position here may be somewhat unfulfilling. I feel like I have aged 30 years in only 4 due to constantly hearing about retirement and the old days. LOTS of rules, get hurt and you will most likely be fired. Millions of acronyms and passwords to remember. If you are unfortunate enough to be gifted a "lab phone" good luck keeping up with the updates and 20 extra constantly changing passwords.