Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Reviews | Glassdoor

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Director Bill Goldstein
Bill Goldstein

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Being a government contractor does mean there is a lot of red tape (in 32 reviews)

• Like the rest of the Bay Area, cost of living in Livermore is out of control (in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Veterans in Energy Technology & Science"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time

Pros

I was an employee at LLNL from 2008-2013. I was laid off with several other co-workers. The outreach Officer from the Veterans group at LLNL reached out to me and assisted me in finding a new career at LLNL. Even though I am not a Veteran, I still feel that there is very much a family atmosphere at LLNL and I am very grateful to be apart of that family. Thanks VETS!

Cons

No cons at this time.

Advice to Management

Love my career!

2. "A great place to work and grow in"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Staff Member in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Staff Member in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

National security mission, cutting edge science, extremely intelligent people, immense and powerful resources, high prestige, incredible salary

Cons

Bureaucracy, many layers of approvals, expensive housing market, big consequences for security mistakes, high intensity environment, lack of fun events

3. "Good Place To Work"

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time

Pros

Working on significant world-class challenges in a constantly changing world. Amazing small and large science projects and exploration.

Cons

Heavy bureaucratic environment driven by funding sources. Salaries are generally lower than the Bay Area salaries in certain job classes.

4. "Intern"

Pros

Great organization with a meaningful mission. Will not find a better government job in the country.

Cons

Bureaucracy and red tape, which is expected.

"Salaries"

Current Employee - Staff Scientist
    Current Employee - Staff Scientist

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Need to think hard to find a good reason. As a scientist, I can tell that science is treated arbitrarily, no evaluation takes place, and ranking and salary increases are determined solely by the management. Nothing good as far as I am concerned.

Cons

Non-existing morale, arbitrary treatment of scientists, suppressing debate, funding given on the basis of personal acquaintance and need of funding rather than worth of ideas, Also see above.

Advice to Management

The management displays a complete lack of honor in handling scientific work. It is completely disinterested in the quality of the science especially in the area of stockpile stewardship. Advice? Turn it 180 degrees.

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Response

Feb 23, 2018 – Employee Relations Program Leader

Thank you for providing your feedback. At LLNL, we highly value our scientists and all of the Laboratory community, as our mission is to strengthen the nation’s security through development and... More

6. "LLNL experience"

I worked at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time

Pros

Working on R&D for national needs

Cons

Big organization with substantial bureaucracy

7. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Contractor in Livermore, CA
    Former Employee - Contractor in Livermore, CA

I worked at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Life insurance, health benefits, high wages, friendly community, safe

Cons

Commute varies, short lunches in some areas

Advice to Management

Educate and communicate, otherwise. Great job

8. "Computation Student Intern"

Current Employee - Student Computer Technician in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Student Computer Technician in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very flexible around School, wonderful facility, passionate mission and interesting staff. The environment feels almost like a university, and it is very welcoming. Work life balance is the biggest advantage

Cons

The average age of the normal employee is very high, which leads to very powerful views on certain things. The pay system is very strict and significant raises are hard to come by, so be sure to have a degree if you want the great pay.

9. "Research Scientist"

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Livermore, CA

Pros

Brilliant employees, nice place to be in

Cons

Fluctuation in funding, have to keep looking for projects, unstable

Advice to Management

employees should not be looking for projects and funds. It is management responsibility to provide funds.

10. "Great Career Move"

Current Employee - Nuclear Facility Manager in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Nuclear Facility Manager in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great compensation, benefits, 401k matching, and work/life balance. Most importantly, LLNL is a leader in many advance technologies and the work directly impacts the safety of our country.

Cons

Being a government contractor does mean there is a lot of red tape. Coming from another DOE contract laboratory, that is to be expected when you are dealing with the government.
    Commute traffic in California Bay Area can be really bad, but supervision at LLNL will work with you to find what work hours works best for you and your commute (within reason) and are understanding if you are late due to an accident on the interstate.
    Additionally, housing prices in the Bay Area are very high. Overall the pros far outweigh the cons.

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Response

Jan 29, 2018 – Employee Relations Program Leader

Thank you for your review. LLNL has a very competitive benefits package and values work/life balance.