Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Director Bill Goldstein
Bill Goldstein

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance is the biggest advantage (in 96 reviews)

• As a grad student: lots of resources, cutting edge research opportunities (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Being a government contractor does mean there is a lot of red tape (in 34 reviews)

• Like the rest of the Bay Area, cost of living in Livermore is out of control (in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Veterans in Energy Technology & Science"

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time

Pros

I was an employee at LLNL from 2008-2013. I was laid off with several other co-workers. The outreach Officer from the Veterans group at LLNL reached out to me and assisted me in finding a new career at LLNL. Even though I am not a Veteran, I still feel that there is very much a family atmosphere at LLNL and I am very grateful to be apart of that family. Thanks VETS!

Cons

No cons at this time.

Advice to Management

Love my career!

2. "Great Work-life balance"

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coming from the tech industry, LLNL's work-life balance is refreshing. Many people work AWS schedules and get every other friday off. There are a lot of fun events and programs on-site to take advantage of during your lunchtime to step away from your desk and relax. Bands, Authors, Fitness/Gym, shopping events.

Cons

There seem to be some antiquated systems and techonlogy that can slow processes down and seem a bit archaic. It seems to be changing and improving over the past two years I've been here so its comforting to see positive change.

Advice to Management

Build a culture/engagment survey that ties to the beliefs and vision of the laboratory as a workplace. Get buy in from leadership, measure it regularly and continually seek to improve the culture of the labs. It's moving in that direction, but it is something that will continue to build the positive momentum that's been building over the past few years.

3. "High Performance Computing"

Current Employee - Senior Computer Scientist in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Computer Scientist in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Get to work in HPC on some of the fastest supercomputers in the world.

Cons

Sometimes very slow adopting new technologies.

4. "Electrician"

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time

Pros

Good place if you have to work.

Cons

Benefits have gone down, in the last 10 years

5. "Good place to start career"

Current Employee - Contract Analyst in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Contract Analyst in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life balance, benefits

Cons

Can get boring and not buy into mission

Advice to Management

Keep it up

6. "Great place to work despite it's challenges"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

Pros

Great people all committed to protecting our country and advancing our programs/achievements/inventions. Programs and opportunities are around every corner if you're willing to seek them out.

Cons

Facilities and infrastructure are old and aging; Support systems aren't resources appropriately to support the needs of a growing laboratory; technology in non-STEM areas is outdated and ineffective. The lab suffers from the age old issue of STEM getting all the gold and infrastructure.

Advice to Management

Ensure you're growing the support systems as quickly as you're growing the revenue generating side of the business. Otherwise you'll end up with no infrastructure to support the great innovations.

7. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

Pros

The benefits are great, the 401K matching is amazing, and I get to work with some of the most talented researchers in the world!

Cons

I can't think of anything!

8. "Awesome company to work for!"

Current Employee - Benefits Specialist in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Benefits Specialist in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-A wealth of information and resources are given to employees to improve their future.
    -On-site cafeteria.
    -Educational opportunities.
    -Competitive salaries.

Cons

None that I can honestly think of.

Advice to Management

Encourage new employees to further their education through the lab.

9. "Sr. Employment Coordinator"

Current Employee - Senior Employment Coordinator in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Employment Coordinator in Livermore, CA

Pros

Great benefits, competitive salary, alternate work schedule.

Cons

Too many outdated administrative processes.

Advice to Management

Encourage more team building activities to break up the monotony.

10. "From Fast to . . . S L O W"

Current Employee - Technical Training Specialist in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Training Specialist in Livermore, CA

Pros

Many people have been working here for decades. In fact, a lot started when young and have stayed their whole career and plan to retire here - that tells you something right there.

Work here is easy going and *most people are friendly and congenial - not all stressed out. There's also a lot of smart and interesting people - geeks, nerds, engineers, scientists, artists, you name it. Very diverse.

Dress is very casual, as casual as one can be without being "sloppy."

Vacations and sick leave come easy; benefits are cheap and comprehensive. No one expects you to work on holidays or when you're taking time off for whatever reason.

Job duties are very clear, methodically laid out, and there's plenty of time to complete tasks.

There are many groups here and opportunities to explore other kinds of work.

Cons

I come from the insane profit-driven, high-tech corporate world where "urgent" means urgent and everything is a 24x7 / 365 emergency. I get here to the Lab and find I've hopped from a speedboat to a tugboat. Here, it's procedure and policy *before results. Results are good, but you need to follow protocol to get there no matter how long it takes.

That said, getting things done can drive a person up the wall because of delays. Management here works in terms of weeks, months and quarters, rather than hours and days. To get tasks fully completed requires layers and layers of reviews and approvals. Don't wait on anything with bated breath.

Honestly, if this were my first job out of college, it would ruin me. I'd never be able to go from here to the crazy world I came from and keep up. In another couple years I will have fully acclimated and then I can give a 5-star rating. :)

Advice to Management

n/a