Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Reviews | Glassdoor

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Reviews

Updated March 30, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • The laboratory has a lot of work-life balance opportunities (in 57 reviews)

• As a PhD engineer had the opportunity to do cutting edge experiments with world class physicists (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • lots of red tape and government policies (in 24 reviews)

• things move slow, lots of bureaucracy (in 7 reviews)

1. "Converson to "Career Indefinite" Employee Pulled at Last Minute"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

I worked at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of bright people
    Lots of interesting science being done
    Compensation is good
    Benefits are Excellent

Cons

I was hired in 2011 as a "Limited Term" employee with a 5 year term. They were in process of upgrading me to "Career Indefinite" when my program got a budget cut. So they pulled my upgrade and told me to find work within the lab within 30 days or I'm gone. However, the original letter informing me that I was upgraded to "Career Indefinite" did not get recalled and I received it in the mail. I didn't make a huge deal of it as I didn't want to burn bridges and I did find a temporary position for ~4 months afterwards I moved on to Sandia National Laboratories, Livermore, right across the street.

Some people have been in same job for 20+ years, lack vision and energy and are resistance to change/improvements.
    Some project require coding in ...ADA and using VMS... this is laughable. I thought National Labs were cutting edge.
    In my temporary job, the project lead was inventing/adding on to C++ Classes. Not sure why except to save lines of actual code??
    Lack of direction from top
    Lack of meaningful schedules and deadlines
    People are in no hurry
    Complacent - co-workers willing worked in lab where temps >90F in summer w/o complaint

Advice to Management

Honor your agreements. I felt totally betrayed.

Clear out the deadwood, don't let anyone stay in same project too long. Some time longevity in a project is bad.

Set deadlines and schedules. First place that I've worked where there wasn't.

"Quality People Work There"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

I worked at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart, sincere people work there. Lots going on. Love the military presence. Lots of patriots there. Very exciting research and development. Homeland Security, Chemistry, Astronomy, Environmental Science, Polymers, Lasers, you name it!

Cons

The facilities are kind of rough. This is not a walking campus, but it could be with a little love. Working in trailers is just terrible. It looks like some kind of munitions depot out in the desert.

Advice to Management

Don't let long-term employee's run roughshod over new ones. Don't save the one nice building for yourselves. Resurface the parking lots. Put in nice walking pathways with greenery. Add Food Trucks.

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Response

Jan 25, 2017

We love the military presence as well! We have made progress in the last few years in our facilities and grounds but realize that we have more work to do. Thank you for your review and we have ... More

3. "Vast amount of expertise"

Current Employee - Purchasing Specialist in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Purchasing Specialist in Livermore, CA

Pros

Friendly staff. Flexible work hours. State of the art research. Good work life balance

Cons

Salary, very strict structure, systems outdated.

5. "LLNL"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The place to be if you don't want to commute

Cons

Needs more diversity in Sr. Mgmt positions

"No leadership in Security Organization everyone leaves eventually."

Former Employee - SPO in Livermore, CA
    Former Employee - SPO in Livermore, CA

I worked at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to start...but then move on...you are better off elsewhere on the lab of growth and more opportunities.

Cons

No opportunities, only for the selected few. A degree doesn't help you here unless you are the selected few to move up and over.

Advice to Management

Take care of your officers and line supervisors...or they will be taken away to work elsewhere on the lab.

7. "Good place to launch your career"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Staff Member in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Staff Member in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (More than a year)

Pros

Good opportunities to work and collaborate with different research groups, you can use 25% of your post-doc time to conduct your own research, work-life balance is very good.

Cons

No clear career path for Foreign nationals as they can not work on Classified projects, difficult to obtain funding for fundamental scientific research projects

8. "Good internship"

Former Employee - Summer Scholar in Livermore, CA
    Former Employee - Summer Scholar in Livermore, CA

I worked at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The projects are fun and challenging. Everyone there is extremely supportive. They all love their jobs, which sets a very positive attitude. You will learn a lot and it will look great on your resume.

Cons

Very hard to get in. You must either stand out with extraordinary talent or know someone who works there.

Advice to Management

Recruit your employees out of the internships.

9. "Security Police Officer"

Current Employee - Security Police Officer in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Security Police Officer in Livermore, CA

Pros

It's good to get your foot in the door to the lab, but DO NOT stay in the security department. Great pay, great coworkers, great benefits.

Cons

Security management is horrible, job conditions are poor, zero career development or ability to do different things. They do not value their employees.

Advice to Management

Resign.

10. "ok"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

Pros

-safety awareness and culture
    -good general training, but not so much in department. i guess it depends which group are you in.
      i started few months ago as sr. engineer and was given work to help some engineer kids whose interest was more of their own career development than helping/showing around new guy.
    - work life balance i heard is good. but i've noticed that co-workers work (or show that they work by sending emails at 10pm) late and kid managers create expectations to others based on it.
    - benefits are good.
    - good technical people.
    - matrix system (can be pro - con depending on your likes)

Cons

- it depends on group/team you work on. but i experienced that it's more of individualistic than team work. which for new guy is not good to start with.
    - co-workers work late hours for promotion(or show that they work by sending emails at 10pm) and kid managers create expectations to others based on it.
    - skewed gender balance

Advice to Management

1) managerial positions should be offered to people with more overall experience (not just in lab) and not just technical as human aspects come from real world experience and variety of experience. please don't assign new sr engineers to help kids (who's goal is only to finish task and look good rather than train)
    2) have rotational program between groups/dept and utilize advantage of matrix system
    3) monitor individual department personals for growth
    4) try to higher some women in technical side for balance and work balance.
    5) rotation of tasks.

11. "LLNL Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

Pros

I've worked at LLNL for decades and have seen changes - both good and bad. In my current position I am given challenging projects, the autonomy to get done what needs to be done, the resources I need to do a good job, and management is there when I need help. Management also trusts me in my decisions. Work life balance is great. I love my job but if I need to take care of me or my family I can do that.

Cons

Red tape - slow to change. That's government life. However, I'm okay with that especially when you consider our mission.

Advice to Management

Provide a venue for employees to give feedback to senior management. I think a lot of people have some good suggestions and ideas.