Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 22, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Being a government contractor does mean there is a lot of red tape (in 32 reviews)

• Like the rest of the Bay Area, cost of living in Livermore is out of control (in 12 reviews)

1. "Good place to work for scientists"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

very competitive salary compared to other research institutions, good benefit, and excellent resources

Cons

Some regulations (truly needed for those who work on national security projects) may be overkill for many LLNL employees, which may negatively impact work efficiency

2. "Overall a nice place to work"

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time

Pros

Amazing campus, good work life balance, great benefits, lots of fun science

Cons

The area is incredibly expensive, you could never afford a house in Livermore unless you moved here with lots of money and the commute is terrible from anywhere affordable. Hiring is difficult, lots of red tape

Advice to Management

make it easier for employees who want to be there and care about their work to advance.

3. "Great work, but too much of it"

Pros

Great environment of brilliant minds

Cons

Most people are spread too thin

"Excellent Career Opportunity"

Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The Lab works at the frontier of technological and scientific innovation. As such, the work can be extremely challenging, but very rewarding at the same time.
     - Work/life flexibility is excellent and the benefits are superior to anything I have seen in industry.
     - Some of the brightest minds in the world work at this facility, so there is always something to learn from someone and there are always interesting things happening.

Cons

- Given the nature of the work, the performance expectations from management and sponsors are extremely high. This results in a very stressful work environment.
     - Things move on the geologic timescale at this facility, so sometimes it can take much longer to accomplish things than desired.

Advice to Management

- The management should work more closely with new employees to help them become acclimated to the laboratory missions, structure, and culture.

5. "Senior Computer Support Technologist"

Current Employee - Technologist in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Technologist in Livermore, CA

Pros

Very passionate co-workers, good health benefits and 401k matching, great place to work if your a software engineer or scientist!

Cons

No movement, your going to stay in your hired position and watch less experienced people get hired for positions above you. Middle management has no management experience outside of the lab, productive workers get the same compensation as lifeless employees. No incentive to work creates a very lazy and lack of accountability environment in some divisions.

Advice to Management

Address the issue of continuing career paths for non-degree employees.

6. "Great research gig"

Current Employee - Intern in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Livermore, CA

Pros

Probably one of the best locations/environments to work at for research.

Cons

Certain departments have a concentration of a lack of talent. Work can be slow. Intern program not very well fleshed-out/non-existent.

7. "Summer Student Internship"

Pros

Amazing facilities, conducive work environment

Cons

Maybe the location and accessibility

8. "Senior Computer Support Technologist"

Current Employee - Senior Computer Systems Operator/Technician in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Computer Systems Operator/Technician in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The group I work for is comprised of a very wide variety of highly motivated individuals with a very wide variety of backgrounds and technical expertise. Everyone gets along with everyone in the group and all strive to achieve minimum downtime and shortest possible return to full operation of the systems we monitor and maintain. The systems we maintain are constantly changing, as older systems are retired and new systems are installed. This requires all members of the group to stay on top of things and the group facilitates this by providing training about our ever changing work environment. The shift leaders go out of their way to support the employees that work on their shifts by being advocates for their team members to upper management. Upper management really appreciates the job that we do and the group and many members of the group have received recognition for their efforts in various ways - cash bonuses, certificates of recognition and the like. All in all it is a very wonderful place to work, in spite of all the challenges we have to meet on a daily basis.

Cons

Some of the support staff, especially in the area of technical support, have no clue as to the extent we have to be able to bring up monitoring tools. For an example, I usually have 16 desktops on the Redhat Linux machine I use to monitoring tools - over 75 Firefox windows with multiple tabs, and hundreds of terminal sessions to run monitoring scripts.

Advice to Management

Please get the support organizations to try to understand the comprehensive monitoring we do and to recognize that our group is like no other due to the amount of windows, both browser, and terminal sessions, that we need to be able to run 24/7.

9. "great coworkers, good work-life balance"

Current Employee - Computer Scientist in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Computer Scientist in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

most people here have advanced degrees like PhDs. You can most define your pace of working. No one raises eyebrows if you take vacations.

Cons

layers of paperwork to get things approved. Management overhead is high.

Advice to Management

Reduce management overhead

10. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Livermore, CA

Pros

The atmosphere is great and good benefits.

Cons

I can't think of a thing.

Advice to Management

I think we should see Management more!