Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Reviews | Glassdoor

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Reviews

Updated November 11, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance is the biggest advantage" (in 111 reviews)

• "I see the lab working hard to be a great place to work, which it is" (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • "Being a government contractor does mean there is a lot of red tape" (in 40 reviews)

• "Of course, the cost of living in the Bay Area makes the 'good' salaries not reach as far" (in 16 reviews)

1. "I've begun to doubt it was even worth it."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Able to support myself with a mid range salary. Longevity, health, dental, & vision insurance.

Cons

Can't get a raise, I've worked hard, researching, training, implementing new processes, only to be looked over and passed by for any type of promotion. I've been sexually harassed, witnessed by my department head, only to be told it didn't happen when I finally went to him with a complaint. Pay raises have averaged .50 over the last 15 years. Told I'd be promoted far too many times, by managers who seemingly lied because I've been stagnate in the same classification for 20 years. I've begun to believe my dedication has not been worth the sacrifices made. In the beginning I felt a sense of pride working here, now I have come to the conclusion that I would have been better off working in my home town for less money, because the balance between time away from home and compensation is far lacking. It was good in the beginning but the economy has caught up to my salary, and it's just not enough.

Advice to Management

Don't tell your employees what they can do to get a promotion if you're not going to follow through.

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Response

Sep 28, 2018 – Recruiting Group Leader

The Lab is committed to maintaining a work environment that is free from harassment and will not tolerate harassment of employees or applicants by anyone. If you have a complaint, there are a number... More

2. "Great projects. Progress too slow, government overhead makes things slow."

Current Employee - Software Developer in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance, interesting work

Cons

Location is way overpriced, pay doesn’t compensate

3. "Group Leader IT related functions"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Livermore, CA

Pros

Cooperative and dedicated staff in support the nation's security and innovation needs. An overwhelming amount of the staff is dedicated to the Laboratory's missions and not to the how to make more money for share holders or management. Good opportunities for continuous training and self improvement. Safe and secure environment for long term employment.

Cons

Lack of upward mobility. Most technical talented employees end up leaving the lab for other high tech positions in the area.

Advice to Management

High tech for profit firms are taking your trained staff. The lab needs to compete with better career choices and work life balance. Less bureaucracy, more results.

4. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time

Pros

Great work-life balance. Goood management. High-quality workforce.

Cons

Government regulations/policies, and security measures. Would be nice to be able to bring family in.

5. "Compensation Analyst"

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time

Pros

Extremely bright individuals work here. You get an opportunity to learn from them. The Lab cares about your career growth Love working for such a great place

Cons

To many procedures to follow for the Department of Energy

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Response

Sep 7, 2018 – Recruiting Group Leader

Thank you for your review. LLNL encourages opportunities for learning and career growth so we are glad you feel supported in these areas.

6. "Public Information Officer"

Current Employee - Public Information Officer
    Current Employee - Public Information Officer

Pros

Believe in the mission, work/life perks and great people.

Cons

Limited growth and advancement opportunities.

7. "It's a government job.."

Current Employee - Lighting Technician
    Current Employee - Lighting Technician

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

very laid back, no one hounding on you to increase production all the time, good pay, good hours, Decent benefits and retirement, great place if you are tired and looking to retire. wonderful cafeteria.

Cons

If you are not ready to keel over/retire, a position here may be somewhat unfulfilling. I feel like I have aged 30 years in only 4 due to constantly hearing about retirement and the old days. LOTS of rules, get hurt and you will most likely be fired. Millions of acronyms and passwords to remember. If you are unfortunate enough to be gifted a "lab phone" good luck keeping up with the updates and 20 extra constantly changing passwords.

8. "Technical Associate"

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time

Pros

Great work environment, friendly staff, work-life balance.

Cons

Cost of living in Livermore is absurd while commute times, since no one can afford to live near the lab, are getting worse by the day.

9. "Impactful work, great benefits, mediocre IT"

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time

Pros

The lab has an inspiring mission that is not based on shareholders or fads. I take pride in working for an organization that is making an impact on the world and lives.

Cons

Not enough investment in training and networking opportunities such as conferences or symposiums. Business IT (LivIT) is slow and on average ineffective. I didn't have access to the internet or my email for the first couple weeks of my job, both of which are critical for my role.

Advice to Management

Allocate more resources to improving IT response for employees and travel budgets for conferences and training

10. "Great Expectations"

Current Employee - Physicist in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Physicist in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Resources you can't find anywhere else.

Cons

No hurry to use them.