Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Reviews | Glassdoor

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Reviews

Updated October 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The laboratory has a lot of work-life balance opportunities (in 83 reviews)

• There is a lot of cutting edge technology being discovered and utilized (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Being a government job, there's a lot of red tape (in 26 reviews)

• High cost of living in the area (in 12 reviews)

"Engineering Tech V level"

Current Employee - Tech V Level in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Tech V Level in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

shorten commute, good opportunities, learn new things

Cons

salary pay, no overtime, less pay

2. "Vets Groups is Awesome!!!"

Current Employee - Directorate Security Officer in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Directorate Security Officer in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had the privilege of working with the LLNL vets group in obtaining my current position as a Directorate Security Officer (DSO). The vets group helped me find positions based on my military skill set and also walked me through the entire application process all the way through the actual offer. Since I have been employed, the vets group has been a great resource to use and to meet other vets and to further expand my professional network. I am now very happy to be employed with LLNL and now a member of the LLNL vets group. If you are a veteran looking for employment with the lab, please reach out to the vets group. Thanks

Cons

no downsides that I have seen

Advice to Management

Continue to support the Vets group

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Response

Sep 5, 2017 – Employee Relations Program Leader

Thank you for your review. The VETS group, which is one of LLNL's Employee Resource Groups, has a new leadership team whose focus continues to be on supporting veterans' activities both internal... More

3. "Happy to be here!"

Current Employee - Office Assistant
    Current Employee - Office Assistant

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The lab so far has been a very easy going and enjoyable place to work. It offers many amenities to its employee to help them succeed with a work life balance.

Cons

The hiring process takes anywhere form 2-3 months.

4. "Life is great after grad school"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Livermore, CA

Pros

Life is great after grad school. More opportunities. Happier people. Regular hours.

Cons

Currently its 103 degrees. But this is not common, and the worst thing I have to say is it's hot today... So I'm pretty content here.

"Change and growth"

Pros

The Lab's mission and work are outstanding. There is a lot of cutting edge technology being discovered and utilized. The opportunity for growth and advancement is high.

Cons

As LLNL is government funded, there are specific guidelines that must be followed, which may make changes difficult. A re-work from the top may be beneficial in moving with the times.

Advice to Management

In addition to improving the world, please also continue to look to improve from within the organization as well. As more people that have been with the lab for considerable amounts of time start to retire or go elsewhere, it would be very beneficial to make moves ahead of time, whenever possible, to allow the remaining employees, transfers or new hires to adjust and cover the departure.

6. "Fun place to spend the summer"

Pros

Lots of interesting things going om

Cons

Slow approval process and lack of motivation to get things done quickly

7. "Excellent Place to Work"

Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Livermore, CA

Pros

LLNL is a fantastic place to work. The work-life balance is truly respected and encouraged. The relationships built with co-workers is one of the reasons I look forward to going to work each day. We are encouraged to learn about other areas of work at the lab so that we can contribute in multiple ways.

Cons

Sometimes changes are slow to happen and new ways of doing things cannot be implemented very quickly. An example is new technology. But - things eventually happen and it just takes patience.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage employees to treat one another the way they would like to be treated - with respect, dignity, etc.

"As a post doctoral researcher"

Current Employee - Post Doctoral in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Post Doctoral in Livermore, CA

Pros

High qualities of researches and colleagues

Cons

High level of background check

9. "Overall been a good place to work, but severely lacking in leadership"

Pros

Great people to work with. Many different programs and research activities where you can always learn something new and may even change your career but still stay with the same employer. I have gained experience here that I guarantee could not have been gained elsewhere. A fantastic work-life balance. I have been here long enough to be in the pension plan, which is no longer offered to new employees but it is great for us who were here before 2007. Very stable work place.

Cons

Red tape, which isn't such a bad thing just a way of life working for the government. Ranking process/personnel appraisal process is archaic. The lab talks up diversity but it really only goes skin deep. If you have a diverse view on a specific topic that doesn't agree with management's view, best to keep quiet.

Advice to Management

I am employed by one program but matrixed to another program. Both programs are completely void of leadership. Not only do the programs squabble with each other, but they really don't know how to treat their employees. You may accomplish 99 great things in a year along with 1 failure and all management cares about is the failure. Upper management needs to focus on developing leadership. We need leaders who can focus on people's strengths and promote trust between management and the workforce. Focus on the positives rather than the constant pettiness.

10. "Great place to work! Excellent opportunities"

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time

Pros

Excellent opportunities to work in other areas; great work-life balance; opportunity to work for a company that supports an important mission.

Cons

Multiple layers of approvals; really slows the process.