Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Staff Scientist Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Director Bill Goldstein
Bill Goldstein

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance is the biggest advantage" (in 113 reviews)

• "I see the lab working hard to be a great place to work, which it is" (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • "Being a government contractor does mean there is a lot of red tape" (in 40 reviews)

• "Of course, the cost of living in the Bay Area makes the 'good' salaries not reach as far" (in 16 reviews)

1. "Staff Scientist"

Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

work/life balance, matrix team work

Cons

The overhead is too high.

2. "Excellent place for a CAREER"

Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As a scientist at the Lab, I have had a range of 'jobs,' all interesting and relevant to the needs of the country. I have done some great research and also worked in a more applied/operational area. My work life balance is pretty great and teamwork has been a total plus within the groups I have been a part of. The benefits are excellent as well.

Cons

While pay is good, the process to increase your pay is in small steps, so you have to take the long view regarding your salary trajectory. Of course, the cost of living in the Bay Area makes the 'good' salaries not reach as far. There is the bureaucracy associated with working at a national lab, of course, but I have adjusted to that as a necessary evil. Also, the priorities of sponsors can sometimes change faster than we are able to which means you can end up being tasked with a lot of short turnaround offshoot projects that are aimed to impress sponsors and bring in more money. These are not always effective.

Advice to Management

Continue the work toward making the Lab a flexible, diverse, and welcoming work environment. The changes are being felt around the lab and they are welcomed.

3. "Staff Scientist"

Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Livermore, CA

Pros

challenging, important work in the national interest

Cons

high pressure, short deadlines, easy to get over subscribed

"Salaries"

Current Employee - Staff Scientist
    Current Employee - Staff Scientist

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Need to think hard to find a good reason. As a scientist, I can tell that science is treated arbitrarily, no evaluation takes place, and ranking and salary increases are determined solely by the management. Nothing good as far as I am concerned.

Cons

Non-existing morale, arbitrary treatment of scientists, suppressing debate, funding given on the basis of personal acquaintance and need of funding rather than worth of ideas, Also see above.

Advice to Management

The management displays a complete lack of honor in handling scientific work. It is completely disinterested in the quality of the science especially in the area of stockpile stewardship. Advice? Turn it 180 degrees.

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Response

Feb 23, 2018 – Employee Relations Program Leader

Thank you for providing your feedback. At LLNL, we highly value our scientists and all of the Laboratory community, as our mission is to strengthen the nation’s security through development and... More

"Excellent Career Opportunity"

Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The Lab works at the frontier of technological and scientific innovation. As such, the work can be extremely challenging, but very rewarding at the same time.
     - Work/life flexibility is excellent and the benefits are superior to anything I have seen in industry.
     - Some of the brightest minds in the world work at this facility, so there is always something to learn from someone and there are always interesting things happening.

Cons

- Given the nature of the work, the performance expectations from management and sponsors are extremely high. This results in a very stressful work environment.
     - Things move on the geologic timescale at this facility, so sometimes it can take much longer to accomplish things than desired.

Advice to Management

- The management should work more closely with new employees to help them become acclimated to the laboratory missions, structure, and culture.

"Staff Scientist"

Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Livermore, CA

Pros

multidisciplinary research and development, training opportunities, national security mission

Cons

bureaucratic, leadership lacks long-term vision,

"Wonderful place to work. Best of the DOE national laboratories"

Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Livermore, CA

Pros

Absolutely wonderful location in the San Francisco bay area, RELATIVELY affordable to live near by (in Livermore), and lots of opportunities to work on really unique and interesting projects. The people you meet there are absolutely the best part about working at a DOE national lab. Lots of employee activities through the abundant networking groups.

Cons

Lots of regulations and rules to follow. Compensation is very slow to respond to added responsibility. And if you have to deal with Washington DC, the politics might be more than some people can handle.

Advice to Management

Try to find what people are good at and focus them on that. Too many good scientists are bad managers. Promotion to management should be because of management aptitude, not because of technical achievement.

"Changing times at the lab and national interests in science"

Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Livermore, CA

Pros

The ability to do "big" science and collaborate with high quality scientists

Cons

Stifling restrictions that have increased costs and crippled the lab's personnel from executing their job.

Advice to Management

Figure it out. The lab's productivity and moral have been on a downward spiral. The attrition rate of high quality scientists is a clear signal that things need to be desperately change. Instead looking to Washington for answers, which will all know is pointless, find innovative solutions to cut cost and navigate DOE regulations to boost productivity.