Found 35 of over 2K reviews
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
What people are saying about Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Got a burning question about Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory? Just ask!
On Glassdoor, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory employees and get real answers from people on the inside.
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Great people on my team who loved being in each other's company (even played board games together during breaks)." (in 165 reviews)
- "Work Life Balance is good" (in 159 reviews)
- "Great benefits and 401k." (in 150 reviews)
- "Pay is good (over all maybe not so much for the area though)" (in 64 reviews)
- "Many opportunities to branch out into new fields and improve your skills" (in 46 reviews)
- "It's clear that management does not care about publishing." (in 34 reviews)
- "As with other reviews, it does seem like there are too many managers to just mange a few." (in 21 reviews)
- "No pension" (in 18 reviews)
- "Facilities and infrastructure are old and aging; Support systems aren't resources appropriately to support the needs of a growing laboratory; technology in non" (in 15 reviews)
- "Hiring process can be slow." (in 10 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory and is not affected by filters.
Reviews about "pension"Return to all Reviews
- 4.0Dec 15, 2021EngineerCurrent Employee, more than 10 yearsLivermore, CA
Salary is very good - especially great is the no longer offered pension
They no longer offer a pension
- 5.0Jul 8, 2020Strategic Site PlannerCurrent Employee, more than 3 yearsLivermore, CA
work/life balance; friendly work environment; good pay
no more pensions but great 401k matching plan
- 3.0Aug 15, 2022Systems EngineerCurrent Employee, more than 3 years
Work life balance and Job security and people are nice. Probably it is because the salary is not competitive enough. 401K + Pension : good 6% matching with extra % added additional as a pension
Pay: Base Salary is comparable but not as good compare to other Bay Area companies as there is no stock or bonus. Career: depending on the team that you are in. The career may be good for scientist but not really great for mid-level IT engineers. May be start as intern and fresh grad and leave and come back for retirement. I've seen some of the teams , they are very bureaucratic and won't let you work on anything or bring new ideas except very basic day-to-day work. Promotion: Promotion process is really subjective. You are compared to other folks who are at the same rank as you (at a company level) to get promoted. How can we compare to others as the type of missions, assignments are different from different positions.1
- 2.0Sep 16, 2022Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee, more than 3 yearsLivermore, CA
Working around some of the brightest minds, top notch research and furthering renewable energy technology. Lab offers a pretty easy schedule, telecommuting and some positions have every other Friday off.
Overall the place is riding on the curtails of its previous reputation. The lab is having major retention issues, due to lost leadership and falling behind wages. No more pension so some positions have become a rotating door. The lab is loosing more people than they are hiring, and the lab needs to address the underlying factors of why people are leaving.4
- 3.0Dec 8, 2015Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee
Good benefits. Most challenging work on the planet.
No longer have a pension. Negotiate a good salary coming in, you'll never see a decent raise at this place. Place is full of degree snobs.5
- 3.0Dec 11, 2019Human Resources SpecialistFormer Employee, more than 3 years
Spacious and quiet area. Pay is decent. Used to offer pension so many people used to work for many years and retire here.
When your leaders show you who they are, believe them. HR is a toxic place to be. Expect retribution and not change. Be careful who you talk to because word travels.2
- 4.0Feb 10, 2021Design EngineerFormer Employee, more than 1 yearLivermore, CA
Good benefits, 401k and competitive pay.
A lot of employees are older and are only staying for the pension.
- 4.0Apr 17, 2023Technical CoordinatorCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearLivermore, CA
I think the that working for the lab is a unique opportunity. The place is massive with tons of new opportunity's. They treat their employees with respect and seem to be very flexible ( depending on the supervisor, I've heard) for the most part I have no complaints. The benefits are great, everyone I have met has been very nice.
The biggest thing to me is pay rate. The lab is 'below market value', yes the benefits are nice but other larger companies are starting to match the benefits and pay more. Since the lab did away with the pension they really lost the ability to hold on to people.1
- 4.0Jan 26, 2023CoordinatorCurrent Employee, more than 3 yearsLivermore, CA
Great work/life balance combo of in office and telecommuting
Office drama no pension for people who havent been there forever
- 5.0May 28, 2023Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee, more than 1 year
The safety culture is very impressive. The general culture at the lab is also very welcoming and friendly. The lab encourages learning and provides opportunities for continued education (both formal and technical).
The pay needs to increase to reflect the high cost of living in the area. Additionally there is no hazard pay unlike other DOE labs (LANL for example). There is no pension plan at this laboratory unlike other DOE sites (NNSS for example).