Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory "red tape" Reviews | Glassdoor

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Employee Reviews about "red tape"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "World-Class Lab Doing World-Class Work"

Current Employee - Physicist
    Current Employee - Physicist

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

LLNL hires some of the world's smartest people and lets them work on the world's hardest problems. It has cutting edge-research facilities that provide access to conditions analogous to the most extreme in the universe. Computation is also a key capability at LLNL, and it possesses some of the world's fastest supercomputers.

The location is a great one, and the people are great to work with.

Cons

Red tape: LLNL is a government contractor, and the delays and bureaucracy associated with such work are certainly present. It is generally isolated from the more partisan politics, but budgets can be influenced by what is currently in favor.

2. "So much better than the corporate world!"

Current Employee - Machinist in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Machinist in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best thing about my work here is the pace. Out in the corporate world it is "GO GO GO!" However, here at the lab it's a MUCH slower pace. A lot of importance is put on taking your time and doing the job safely and well.

Safety is another key plus. It is taken extremely seriously here. You will never be asked to do something unsafe to get a job done on time.

Cons

One of the very few cons is that things happen slowly at the lab. Sometimes that's by design, but sometimes it's because of the red tape. When you learn to sit back a bit and enjoy the slower pace, it does become a bit less frustrating.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

3. "LLNL is Wonderful and Getting Better All the Time!"

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

AMAZING work-life programs! Very easy to have a wonderful career AND a life outside of work. Most managers are super flexible and understanding. Really cool on-site programs like Author talks, tons of fitness options, great special events, live music, a farmers market, nice walking paths, wildlife, etc.. Lots of really great science and opportunities to work on very interesting projects. People here are friendly and engaging.

Cons

LOTS of old processes and red tape . A bit "historic"- many things need to be updated (but it appears they are working on these -- lots of construction happening).

Advice to Management

Make it easier to share our ideas and suggestions.

4. "Engaging Work for a Purpose"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

Pros

I want to feel like my work is for a higher purpose - and that's what I've found working at LLNL. I believe in the mission, the vision and the values. The people I work with have the same passion about their work and we have fun. When someone asks where I work, I'm proud to say I work at the Lab.

Cons

Working for the government is not for everyone. There is red tape and bureaucracy.

Advice to Management

Transparent leadership is the key to fostering a culture of trust.

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Response

Sep 12, 2018 – Recruiting Group Leader

Thank you for your review of the Lab. We are proud of the Lab's mission, vision and values and we're glad you're proud to work for LLNL!

"LLNL Summer Intern"

Former Intern - Graduate Student in Livermore, CA
    Former Intern - Graduate Student in Livermore, CA

I worked at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Exciting work, friendly people, consistently challenged

Cons

Some old facilities, red tape

6. "Computational Engineering Division"

Current Intern - Ced
    Current Intern - Ced

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly, Intelligent, Professional work environment. As a senior undergrad, I am fairly compensated at 23.80/hr. Hands down the best place I have ever worked (maybe about 4 companies total)

Cons

Red tape, don't expect to get through projects very quickly

Advice to Management

They are great!

7. "Good Work Life Balance,"

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I came from a private consulting company and the hours/work-life balance and the benefits at LLNL are way ahead of my old workplaces. We have flexible schedules, inexpensive health insurance (through Kaiser), and a god 401LK. Managers respect time off.

The older employees here grumble a lot, but I think many of them have no idea what the outside is like and how good we have it here. If many of these employees had to work a job at a normal, for-profit company and would be expected to do productive work (not just watching Fox News and movies all day) and work more than 2 hours a day they would realize how good they have it here.

Cons

Inefficient. Like others have mentioned, there is a lot of red tape. There is also a frustrating amount of bloat, including a lot of admin staff that seems unnecessary. There are also too many managers supervising a small handful of employees, and mangers of those managers and more managers.
    Decrepit facilities. There are too many people and not enough places for staff. We have had water leaking through our roof that has to be caught in 55 gallon trash cans every time it rains. This has been going on for well over 2 years. Old, disintegrating trailers are stuffed to the gills with people with no budget for repairs or improvements, and no new office space in sight.

Advice to Management

Cut payroll bloat and re-invest in facilities. It seems like managers are petrified of lawsuits and cant fire unproductive people if they have gotten beyond their probation period

8. "A place to make a real impact in the world"

Current Employee - Contract Analyst
    Current Employee - Contract Analyst

Pros

Decent pay, great benefits, flexible hours, very talented people and the opportunity to make a real impact.

Cons

Government red tape and bureaucracies hinder progress, taking a lot of work to get little done. This is, however, inevitable in this line of work and industry (Federal Government). Good restaurants are a little ways from the lab so you have to either bring your own lunch or eat at 1 of the 2 subpar cafeterias on campus.

Advice to Management

Continue to monitor the pay and benefits of the private sector to ensure competitive compensation to retain employees.

9. "Intern"

Pros

Great organization with a meaningful mission. Will not find a better government job in the country.

Cons

Bureaucracy and red tape, which is expected.

10. "Great Career Move"

Current Employee - Nuclear Facility Manager in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Nuclear Facility Manager in Livermore, CA

Pros

Great compensation, benefits, 401k matching, and work/life balance. Most importantly, LLNL is a leader in many advance technologies and the work directly impacts the safety of our country.

Cons

Being a government contractor does mean there is a lot of red tape. Coming from another DOE contract laboratory, that is to be expected when you are dealing with the government.
    Commute traffic in California Bay Area can be really bad, but supervision at LLNL will work with you to find what work hours works best for you and your commute (within reason) and are understanding if you are late due to an accident on the interstate.
    Additionally, housing prices in the Bay Area are very high. Overall the pros far outweigh the cons.

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Response

Jan 29, 2018 – Employee Relations Program Leader

Thank you for your review. LLNL has a very competitive benefits package and values work/life balance.