Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory "red tape" Reviews | Glassdoor

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Employee Reviews about "red tape"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Engaging Work for a Purpose"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I want to feel like my work is for a higher purpose - and that's what I've found working at LLNL. I believe in the mission, the vision and the values. The people I work with have the same passion about their work and we have fun. When someone asks where I work, I'm proud to say I work at the Lab.

Cons

Working for the government is not for everyone. There is red tape and bureaucracy.

Advice to Management

Transparent leadership is the key to fostering a culture of trust.

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Response

Sep 12, 2018 – Recruiting Group Leader

Thank you for your review of the Lab. We are proud of the Lab's mission, vision and values and we're glad you're proud to work for LLNL!

"LLNL Summer Intern"

Former Intern - Graduate Student in Livermore, CA
    Former Intern - Graduate Student in Livermore, CA

I worked at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Exciting work, friendly people, consistently challenged

Cons

Some old facilities, red tape

3. "Computational Engineering Division"

Current Intern - Ced
    Current Intern - Ced

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly, Intelligent, Professional work environment. As a senior undergrad, I am fairly compensated at 23.80/hr. Hands down the best place I have ever worked (maybe about 4 companies total)

Cons

Red tape, don't expect to get through projects very quickly

Advice to Management

They are great!

4. "Good Work Life Balance,"

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I came from a private consulting company and the hours/work-life balance and the benefits at LLNL are way ahead of my old workplaces. We have flexible schedules, inexpensive health insurance (through Kaiser), and a god 401LK. Managers respect time off.

The older employees here grumble a lot, but I think many of them have no idea what the outside is like and how good we have it here. If many of these employees had to work a job at a normal, for-profit company and would be expected to do productive work (not just watching Fox News and movies all day) and work more than 2 hours a day they would realize how good they have it here.

Cons

Inefficient. Like others have mentioned, there is a lot of red tape. There is also a frustrating amount of bloat, including a lot of admin staff that seems unnecessary. There are also too many managers supervising a small handful of employees, and mangers of those managers and more managers.
    Decrepit facilities. There are too many people and not enough places for staff. We have had water leaking through our roof that has to be caught in 55 gallon trash cans every time it rains. This has been going on for well over 2 years. Old, disintegrating trailers are stuffed to the gills with people with no budget for repairs or improvements, and no new office space in sight.

Advice to Management

Cut payroll bloat and re-invest in facilities. It seems like managers are petrified of lawsuits and cant fire unproductive people if they have gotten beyond their probation period

5. "A place to make a real impact in the world"

Current Employee - Contract Analyst
    Current Employee - Contract Analyst

Pros

Decent pay, great benefits, flexible hours, very talented people and the opportunity to make a real impact.

Cons

Government red tape and bureaucracies hinder progress, taking a lot of work to get little done. This is, however, inevitable in this line of work and industry (Federal Government). Good restaurants are a little ways from the lab so you have to either bring your own lunch or eat at 1 of the 2 subpar cafeterias on campus.

Advice to Management

Continue to monitor the pay and benefits of the private sector to ensure competitive compensation to retain employees.

6. "Intern"

Pros

Great organization with a meaningful mission. Will not find a better government job in the country.

Cons

Bureaucracy and red tape, which is expected.

7. "Great Career Move"

Current Employee - Nuclear Facility Manager in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Nuclear Facility Manager in Livermore, CA

Pros

Great compensation, benefits, 401k matching, and work/life balance. Most importantly, LLNL is a leader in many advance technologies and the work directly impacts the safety of our country.

Cons

Being a government contractor does mean there is a lot of red tape. Coming from another DOE contract laboratory, that is to be expected when you are dealing with the government.
    Commute traffic in California Bay Area can be really bad, but supervision at LLNL will work with you to find what work hours works best for you and your commute (within reason) and are understanding if you are late due to an accident on the interstate.
    Additionally, housing prices in the Bay Area are very high. Overall the pros far outweigh the cons.

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Response

Jan 29, 2018 – Employee Relations Program Leader

Thank you for your review. LLNL has a very competitive benefits package and values work/life balance.

8. "Great for student growth"

Former Intern - Intern in Livermore, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in Livermore, CA

I worked at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory as an intern (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment, good mentors, fun projects, supportive environment

Cons

TONS and TONS of red tape, but I suppose that's the nature of the huge government funded beast

Can't take pictures. Again, just the nature of the workplace.

"Computer Scientist"

Current Employee - Computer Scientist in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Computer Scientist in Livermore, CA

Pros

World class programming challenges, world class supercomputers to work on. Brilliant and friendly people to work with. National security is a vital mission, and that is what LLNL does.

Cons

Stifling red tape and regulations. Staggering amounts of training required. If you need a government clearance, two years is probably what to expect for the wait, unless you have something unusual---then it is anybody's guess.

Advice to Management

Work life balance is really important to me with a young family: I'm glad that's an LLNL priority. However, so is compensation parity with the private sector.

10. "Overall a nice place to work"

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time

Pros

Amazing campus, good work life balance, great benefits, lots of fun science

Cons

The area is incredibly expensive, you could never afford a house in Livermore unless you moved here with lots of money and the commute is terrible from anywhere affordable. Hiring is difficult, lots of red tape

Advice to Management

make it easier for employees who want to be there and care about their work to advance.