Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time

Pros

Great work/life balance, flexible work schedule options, very steady and secure job, great/supportive management

Cons

Subject to some government bureaucracy, but that just comes with the territory

2. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time

Pros

Great work/life balance. A lot of opportunities to grow. Great benefits

Cons

Can easily get lost in the environment.

3. "Great company and culture"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory as an intern

Pros

Great culture! Good work-life balance, and constantly surrounded by intelligent, motivated people.

Cons

Lots of procedures and approvals necessary to move forward with decisions, but that is to be expected in a government-funded entity.

4. "Excellent place for a CAREER"

Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As a scientist at the Lab, I have had a range of 'jobs,' all interesting and relevant to the needs of the country. I have done some great research and also worked in a more applied/operational area. My work life balance is pretty great and teamwork has been a total plus within the groups I have been a part of. The benefits are excellent as well.

Cons

While pay is good, the process to increase your pay is in small steps, so you have to take the long view regarding your salary trajectory. Of course, the cost of living in the Bay Area makes the 'good' salaries not reach as far. There is the bureaucracy associated with working at a national lab, of course, but I have adjusted to that as a necessary evil. Also, the priorities of sponsors can sometimes change faster than we are able to which means you can end up being tasked with a lot of short turnaround offshoot projects that are aimed to impress sponsors and bring in more money. These are not always effective.

Advice to Management

Continue the work toward making the Lab a flexible, diverse, and welcoming work environment. The changes are being felt around the lab and they are welcomed.

"Very nice place to work"

Current Employee - Writer/Editor in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Writer/Editor in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good salary and perks, friendly people excellent work/life balance. They do not run you into the ground. They allow you to explore where you're happiest and may pay for additional education needed.

Cons

Doesn't have the sexiness of Silicon Valley, but real work is done here.

Advice to Management

Focus on the value of the work. Don't try to compete with Silicon Valley on the holy grail du jour, whether "diversity" or other.

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Response

Oct 11, 2018 – Recruiting Group Leader

Thank you for your review. LLNL has very good perks/benefits and also offers education assistance for eligible employees. We hope you are able to take advantage of these benefits!

6. "Best quality of life"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Challenging, competitive work environment
    - Innovative work, hackathons, dev days
    - They have proven repeatedly that the care about the health and well being of their employees, work life balance is great
    - Great people!

Cons

- It takes a while to get used to the security environment, which is natural for most people.

7. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time

Pros

Our tag line of "having the smartest square mile on earth" is what originally intrigued me to look into the Lab further. It is important to me to work for an organization that is not only doing something interesting that I can learn from but is giving back to the nation in a key critical way making me a proud employee. We do have the opportunity to work with brilliant and collaborative colleagues on a very important mission. There are always opportunities to learn and continue to grow while being professionally challenged along the way.

Work-life balance is something that is highly supported by the organization.

The organization offers strong 401k contributions and supports employee education reimbursement.

There are also diverse, culturally enriching activities that allow you to take time away from your desk in meaningful ways. The onsite gym and fitness classes are awesome as well!

Cons

Things can move a bit more slowly in comparison to outside industry. This can be a side effect of working for a government organization as it increases our regulatory compliance commitments. If you have the skills and flexibility to learn to properly navigate as needed this becomes less of a burden.

Advice to Management

Thank you for taking such good care of us! It is refreshing to work for an organization that truly appreciates and supports their employees as people first.

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Collaborative environment with many benefits and perks. Work life balance is a plus.

Cons

Government bureaucracy can slow things down and there is a lot of oversight on compliance.

9. "LLLNL is a great place to work!"

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time

Pros

Many missions to choose from. Excellent colleagues. Challenging work. Great work life balance.

Cons

Losing many older.peope creates a stressful environment of having to pick up the pieces but also creates.many opportunities for change.

Advice to Management

Keep looking for ways to challenge the status quo. For example, why not increase vacation after five years?

10. "Computer scientist"

Current Employee - Computer Scientist in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Computer Scientist in Livermore, CA

Pros

It has a Good work/life balance.

Cons

Bureaucracy can be annoying at times.