Lawrence Public Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Lawrence Public Schools Superintendent/Receiver Jeffrey Riley
Jeffrey Riley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Students are Students and these kids work hard!"

I have been working at Lawrence Public Schools full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you know the demographics of Lawrence, then you know what some issues are. The students are hard working, very talented and very bright. Maybe they don't have the best background knowledge or language skills that would make education easy, but when you connect with them, no one will work harder.

Cons

Lots of revolving doors in the area, some teachers can't hack it and are out quickly. Some people expect the job to be done for them, but here you need to be creative and help raise the floor while keeping the ceiling open for students to grow. They will meet your expectations, so make sure you have high ones.

Advice to Management

Focus on simple strategies, pay teachers well and let teachers be creative in their approach to teaching and learning. Don't hang on to dead weight teachers.

2. "Holy Cow"

Former Employee - PE Teacher in Lawrence, MA
    Former Employee - PE Teacher in Lawrence, MA

I worked at Lawrence Public Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-It is a teaching job
    -It helps build your resume

Cons

-Turnover rate is crazy
    -Large amount of staff is let go at the end of every year when the reach the 3 year mark
    -Admin is a joke
    -Fights EVERY day
    -Hostile work environment
    -Next to nothing is provided for teachers. I bought all my own equipment

Advice to Management

Invest in qualified teachers. Do not let go someone with experience to hire someone cheaper. Admin need a serious makeover.

3. "For the highly motivated teacher who wants to make a difference"

Current Employee - Teacher in Lawrence, MA

I have been working at Lawrence Public Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Due to the district currently being reformed, there is a ton of professional development being offered, so you will learn about different methods and best practices. Teachers are held to high standards, which can be stressful but it will push you to learn and to be the best teacher you can be. I have grown immensely as a teacher in the last year. The students are challenging but they grow on you - they are kids who really need good teachers. Being a stable, consistent, supportive person to them can be extremely rewarding because they don't have a lot of stability. It's a very meaningful job and you will feel fulfilled in that regard. I would say that this job is for those who are highly motivated to make a difference in the world; if you have the energy, you can really do great things in Lawrence.

Cons

The longer school day can feel exhausting, especially the first year. The students are challenging, so when they are pushing back, it can be rough. You learn how to manage a class and how to connect with the kids. It can be an emotional roller coaster. You will be observed regularly which will keep you on your toes, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but it can be stressful. A lot of the cons are also pros - we work really really hard to be great teachers. It's tiring but extremely fulfilling.

Advice to Management

Now that we are a couple years into the receivership, you have probably figured out who your committed teachers are. Keep us happy by encouraging us, respecting us, and acknowledging how hard we work. A little positive feedback can go a very long way... sometimes if feels like we are critiqued more than we are thanked. When you are confident in us, give us some space to do our magic. We appreciate being treated as the knowledgeable professionals we are. The constant observations add a huge amount of stress that can bring a teacher down after a while.

4. "Instructional Aide"

Current Employee - Special Education Paraprofessional in Lawrence, MA
    Current Employee - Special Education Paraprofessional in Lawrence, MA

I have been working at Lawrence Public Schools full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pro students growth development and parent enrichment.

Cons

Not advancement opportunities to currents paraprofessional.

Advice to Management

Advancement opportunities to all currents paraprofessional.

5. "Up and down depending on your administration!"

I have been working at Lawrence Public Schools full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some of the best motivated teachers working in this district.
    Salary is great compared to other states!
    Students!

Cons

Constant change, year to year something is different, some new initiative is put in place.
    The old guard is still hanging on and dragging people down!

Advice to Management

Maintain some consistency!

"Challenging Environment; School Provided Support When They Could"

Former Employee - Long-term Substitute in Lawrence, MA
    Former Employee - Long-term Substitute in Lawrence, MA

Pros

-Some good support available from experienced teachers
    -It was clear teachers and staff really cared about students and their families
    -Exciting to be exposed to lots of diversity and try to make a difference in the lives of students

Cons

-MA state regulations give far too little time for young kids to play and move around; way too much focus on academics and testing
    -Language barriers and widespread poverty of students made teaching very difficult
    -Total lack of outdoor play facilities for kids; they had 15-minute recess on an empty parking lot with some balls and jump ropes to play with

Advice to Management

-Make more space and time for movement and play.
    -I'm sure it's difficult, but try to find more experienced teachers or paraprofessionals who already know the children for long-term sub positions. This is an incredibly challenging role.

7. "Helping in a community with little family support and very high expectations"

Current Employee - Educator in Lawrence, MA
    Current Employee - Educator in Lawrence, MA

I have been working at Lawrence Public Schools full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Many resources, state funded support

Cons

Extended hours, Capped salary, High turnover

Advice to Management

Concern yourselves with long term employees

8. "Was fine til it got worse."

Former Employee - Classroom Teacher in Lawrence, MA
    Former Employee - Classroom Teacher in Lawrence, MA

I worked at Lawrence Public Schools full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The students are fun to teach.

Cons

Central administration could care less about the teachers.

"Lawrence Public Schools"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Lawrence, MA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Lawrence, MA

I have been working at Lawrence Public Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only pro for working in LPS was the diversity.

Cons

Little pay, Senior management, potential for growth, lack of staffing per department

Advice to Management

hire more staff per department

10. "Special educator for 31 years"

Former Employee - Special Ed Teacher in Lawrence, MA
    Former Employee - Special Ed Teacher in Lawrence, MA

I worked at Lawrence Public Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Developing relationships that help at risk students succeed. Professional interactions with other teachers, an support staff, to insure a student is able to develop strengths to overcome their disability

Cons

Administrators use to support staff. There is no support for development of behavior management strategies. The principal, during my last year, violated IEP's by merging 2 resource rooms with the reasoning that" Lawrence was out of compliance so what difference does it make". The receiver knew about the violation and it continued

Advice to Management

Test scores and being concerned with how things "Look", cannot be the only priority