Lawrence & Schiller Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Miss the Place"

Former Employee - Writer in Sioux Falls, SD
    Former Employee - Writer in Sioux Falls, SD

I worked at Lawrence & Schiller full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

• Progressive Thinkers. They more to get better at their craft than any agency I've experienced.
    • Opportunity. If you're willing to stick your neck out and try something, or lead something, you'll get the opportunity. But it's not just going to be handed to you.
    • Big Work. They're working on big national and regional accounts. It's a great place to do work that will be seen by a lot of people.

Cons

These are only cons if you expect to skate through your time there.
    • They expect a lot from everyone. I hear people complain about working extra hours. That's pretty normal in advertising, or most salaried careers anymore.
    • You'll need a thick skin. IF you're slacking off, they'll let you know. It happened to me, and I changed the way I did things. They also know to get good ideas, you have to try to poke holes in people's thinking, Prepare to have your ideas challenged.
    • The Team Environment: this is only a con if you're not used to it.

"Uniquely Rewarding Experience"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Sioux Falls, SD
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Sioux Falls, SD

I worked at Lawrence & Schiller full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked at L&S for a number of years and it was the best job I could imagine having. They have the top clients in the region, offering challenging but rewarding opportunities. The President/CEO is an energetic, passionate and compassionate leader and the culture is second to none - you're expected to be accountable, but also to be yourself and have fun! Benefits and community involvement are also second to none.

Cons

Being the leading agency in the area means you take shots from others...and since L&S recruits the best young talent in the area, they are prone to getting poached.

Advice to Management

Show young talent the path to becoming a leader at L&S...and increase the chances of retaining them.

"Respected Company and Market Leader"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sioux Falls, SD

I worked at Lawrence & Schiller full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you are smart, innovative and passion about marketing, then Lawrence & Schiller might be a good fit for you. L&S works with market leaders across several industries. The campaigns it creates are seen across the state, region and country.
    L&S is organized in client-centric teams offering everyone access to decision-makers.

Smart, hardworking problem-solvers are rewarded at L&S. Those who bring ideas and work to implement them will find countless opportunities to grow their career.

A lot of attention is placed on company culture, on-boarding new employees and internal communications. Senior leadership believes in the open-door approach and welcomes feedback from employees of all seniority levels. The company is always looking for ways to improve itself.

Cons

Luke-warm clock watchers won't do well at L&S.

"Poor Companuy"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Lawrence & Schiller as an intern

Pros

young employees, fun clients, creative atmosphere

Cons

limited upward mobility, toxic leadership

"It's all about the culture"

I have been working at Lawrence & Schiller full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have a great working culture and view on family/work balance. The people are friendly and professional.

Cons

There are a lot of behind the scene politics. Sometimes it can feel like a popularity contest or "what have you done for me lately" mentality.

Advice to Management

Make you compensation align with industry and regional expectations.

"Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sioux Falls, SD

Pros

Great culture, great CEO, some good directors). Great experience and picked up some great skills.

Cons

L&S underpays and overworks. Expect to bring home work often. After speaking with other coworkers, I found out my male counterparts were making $6,000 more than me. It's also extremely hard to get a decent raise, even if you work extremely hard.

Advice to Management

Give employees more freedom. Directors often dictate too much and this hurts employee growth. This is why retention is extremely bad. Pay women more - people talk and know how much each other makes.

7. "Customer Service"

Pros

They had a good staff

Cons

Lots of Downtime on calls

8. "It is an ok company to work for - I gained certain experiences that have helped me with my careers"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sioux Falls, SD
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sioux Falls, SD

I worked at Lawrence & Schiller full-time (More than a year)

Pros

managers have energy and are nice - the vending machines have $1 sodas

Cons

tele-services environment - some days can seem long

Advice to Management

good management

"Gained a lot, learned a lot -- mostly good."

I worked at Lawrence & Schiller full-time

Pros

Absolute professionals when it comes to the work they produce. Most of their people are at the top of their field, especially for this region. They have a culture that expects the employees to perform at a high level, which helps energize everyone to produce their best work.

Cons

For a "creative" company, atmosphere seems a bit sterile.

Advice to Management

Be mindful of treating people with respect ... there's a definite fear factor at work that some in upper management seem to like to hold over people. This sense is emphasized by a lack of transparency with upper management decisions. Also, there's a definite boy's club atmosphere that many seem to play into.

10. "NA"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative - Lead in Sioux Falls, SD
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative - Lead in Sioux Falls, SD

Pros

The sense of teamwork and comeraderie is contagious.

Cons

Treatment of workers that don't quite meet the standards isn't the most professional.

Advice to Management

NA