Lawson Products Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Lawson Products President and Chief Executive Officer Michael G. DeCata
Michael G. DeCata

Pros
  • Lawson allows our sales reps to earn as much as they are capable of (in 10 reviews)

• There is a very nice work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Can be hard work if you're in the field but it's a very rewarding career (in 5 reviews)

• The organization is getting better at consistently communicating with the sales force (in 5 reviews)

1. "Pricing Analyst"

Former Employee - Pricing Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Pricing Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Lawson Products full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great direct team, always worked well together and got along great. Hard working team, good work family. Everyone helped each other to get the job done

Cons

Boys club. Sometimes in the area or the other groups you were working with it seemed your opinion didn't matter or you had to prove yourself because you were not a man

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the little guys

2. "sales"

I have been working at Lawson Products full-time

Pros

Free to make your own schedule. Great training

Cons

I don't have any at this time

Advice to Management

wish we could keep our salary

3. "Good Honest Work"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Lawson Products full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been with Lawson Products for just about a year now and have seen continued growth in my customer base. It's like having my own business with Lawson as support for my growth.
    Customer service rocks
    Engineering is helpful with item I don't know
    Other Sales rep are willing to help when you ask for it
    Good training and support through blogs and email.
    Manager and District managers are good and helpful getting me what I need
    Demos that work and produce sales.
    Good pricing on items I purchase for demos.
    Excellent product mix and more added all the time.

Cons

Strategic Account Pricing
    More Demo Videos
    Chemical information and use training

Advice to Management

Alaska needs better freight policy
    Fright inclusive variable accounts

5. "sales"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

Pros

Great training on how to sell and demo great products. Lawson does it the way MRO should be done. Lawson has the products and the pricing with good commission levels to make a nice living.

Cons

Do your homework to back up "we are the only ones that have this product" some other company may have something very close. It really depends on who you are talking to in the company, some stretch it a bit to far.

Advice to Management

Don't lower commissions.

6. "Great Sales Team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Plaines, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Plaines, IL

I worked at Lawson Products full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hard working sales team. Very receptive to corporate employee visits / calls. Lots of investments in ERP and websites to stay competitive.

Cons

Management changes often (sales vp's, marketing vp's). More training should be provided / encouraged.

Advice to Management

Stay on course.

"terrirtory sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Lawson Products full-time

Pros

If you have ever owned your own business or desire to do so with the backing and support of the best in the industry this would be close to experiencing that entrepreneur feeling

Cons

You have to be on your game, and understand that you must put the customer first- at any cost and that is all there is! IF you can't do that every day don't bother-

Advice to Management

keep doing what you are doing

"An Excellent Company to Work For"

I have been working at Lawson Products full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is an excellent organization to work for. I can honestly say this is a company that cares and is focused on the overall well being of its employees. Over the last several years the culture of the company has improved dramatically in the following ways: field sales focus, technological advancement, tools and resources, compensation, communication, and training. Lawson is moving from a great company to becoming a world class company.

Cons

Although communication to the field has improved significantly over the last several years there is always opportunity to improve.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop talent from the field and find additional avenues to promote leaders already within the team.

9. "Manager"

Pros

Great Work enviornment and ability to build a great sales career

Cons

just need a great attitude

10. "Employee for 10 years"

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Wasilla, AK
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Wasilla, AK

Pros

I have seen an evolution of Lawson Products for the past 10 years where an amazing amount of money has been invested in becoming a modern company that continued to make every effort to reward the employees in every way. Salary, benefits, work environment have all improved over the course of my time with the company. I think its the finest MRO company in the market from an employee viewpoint.

Cons

There has been a huge learning curve to stay on top of technology and process.

Advice to Management

I applaud the management team for every effort they have made to grow a profitable company.

11. "Sales Rep"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Augusta, GA
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Augusta, GA

I have been working at Lawson Products full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company gives you a great opportunity to earn uncapped commissions. If you can hustle, you will be rewarded and treated well. I have been with the company 4.5 years and am pleased to be making six figures, setting my own hours and essentially running my own business. We sell high quality, proprietary products in the MRO realm and differentiate from other players in the market with a focus on service, quality and a commitment to still selling American Made products.
    They company has invested in itself tremendously in the past 4-5 years. Converted to SAP. Built a new state of the art master DC in McCook IL. Built a custom made order software which is almost through the beta testing phase which will empower the sales force with real time inventory information and incredible flexibility and functionality.
    Through all these changes, there have been hiccups and setbacks but the strategic vision of DeCata and the senior management team has the finger on the pulse of the company and are leading well. The company's trajectory is upwards and I'm happy to be helping to drive that success.
    Bottom line, if you want to have a career in sales and are willing to work and build your own business, this is a great company to do this with. I came in with no industry experience and was trained well. There are mentoring programs in place which pair veteran reps with rookies and the culture is one that is helpful and supportive.

Cons

I'm not sure that this is a con, but this is not an easy job. If you're looking for an easy 9-5 and easy money, look elsewhere. But with work, the rewards are fantastic.

Advice to Management

Hire quality, not quantity.