Lawson Products Reviews | Glassdoor

Lawson Products Reviews

Updated July 14, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Lawson allows our sales reps to earn as much as they are capable of (in 10 reviews)

• Great Benifits, uncapped earning potential, and overall a outstanding company to work for (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • No car allowance unless you are a new hire and it's only temporary (in 5 reviews)

• Can be hard work if you're in the field but it's a very rewarding career (in 5 reviews)

1. "warehouse"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Fairfield, NJ
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Fairfield, NJ

I worked at Lawson Products (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay for nj warehouse.

Cons

Employees weren't helped as much as they should be.

Advice to Management

Reorganize management that looks out for there best interest.

"Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Bowling Green, KY
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Bowling Green, KY

I have been working at Lawson Products full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Benifits, uncapped earning potential, and overall a outstanding company to work for.

Cons

None that jump out at me. The company gives you everything you need to be succesful and the rest is up to you.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. I am a new employee and am very impressed with the company and proud to be on board.

"10 years and loving Lawson!"

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Bartlesville, OK
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Bartlesville, OK

I have been working at Lawson Products full-time

Pros

TRUE unlimited earning potential! Ability to grow and manage your own book of business without the debt and hassles of starting your own company. Freedom and flexibility to make a great living without sacrificing your personal life. Very respectful group of people to work with, in the field and at corporate. Recognition for stellar performances. I find great pride in working with the best technical salespeople at the customer level! Most of our competitors are hiring order takers (and paying them as such). I love the appreciation we are extended by our customers! I also love the appreciation I feel from new employees when they realize they can make a great living and have a great life balance!

Cons

Independent model is not for everybody, but I love it! Finding sales rep candidates that are hungry, willing to work hard, and stay motivated long enough to reap the rewards of their labor, can be a challenge. This is not for the meek, but it is not difficult for the right personality type. Some people find it challenging to sell a premium product and service at a premium price.

Advice to Management

Increase the number of ALL PRO trip spots for sales management!

"The Truth About Lawson Sales Reps"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milton, WV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milton, WV

I have been working at Lawson Products full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lawson has great products and a great reputation in the MRO industry. Many of the people who work for Lawson have been there for years. The commissions are very good (I make more money than most of my friends with 9 to 5 jobs) and the support from management and corporate is excellent. The job hours are somewhat flexible and you meet good people in the field. There is no clock to punch and there is a sense of freedom in this business. You set your own schedule so it really is possible to make a very comfortable living working for Lawson as a sales rep and still be able to be at your kids school performances. There is a very nice work/life balance. I have been in the industry for nearly 15 years. I left for a couple of years and came back to it. For me, it fits my lifestyle and I really enjoy it. Lawson has put a large investment in technology over the past few years. There were some growing pains that came along with that but now those investments are beginning to pay dividends. The training is very good and they are continually striving to get better. That isn't just a talking point. Its the truth. You are taught every step of the selling process as well as the products and their application. Lawson has a very broad range of MRO supplies and many are exclusive to Lawson. The benefits are very good as well. (Medical, Dental etc.)

Cons

Ok, here are the negatives. This is a job that you have to be willing to work at. There is no set schedule and you must be self motivated. It is a commission driven job. The more you sell, the more you make. It also doesn't hurt to be good at organization and managing your time. Although we don't turn the wrenches, you will often be working in shops and large garages with people who get their hands dirty. If this is not something that you are comfortable with, then this may not be the best place for you. Outside sales can be lonely at first. Early in your career you don't yet know your customers and you are in a car by yourself a lot. (After a while this changes. Some of my best friends started out as customers). This job is commission only. You start out with a support plan to help you get on your feet but it is commission only. Keep that in mind. This scares a lot of people but the reality of it is that I actually make more money even after my expenses than most of my friends. You use your own vehicle. The company helps with this for quite a while but then you are expected to cover all of your expenses. As a Rep you are advising your customers on products that they can buy from you to make their job easier and often you have to teach them how to be more efficient. So it also helps if you are a good problem solver. (I don't know if that is a con but I guess for some people it could be)

Advice to Management

We are headed in the right direction. Thank you.

"Unethical management - executive misconduct"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Kaneohe, HI
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Kaneohe, HI

I worked at Lawson Products full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Freedom of comm only rep and a good selection of products to sell.

Cons

Management is driven like a mafia organization.

Advice to Management

Get a clue

"District Sales manager"

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

Excellent training and very customer and employee. Focused.

Cons

None, this job is what you make of it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and stay in touch with the field.

"terrirtory sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Lawson Products full-time

Pros

If you have ever owned your own business or desire to do so with the backing and support of the best in the industry this would be close to experiencing that entrepreneur feeling

Cons

You have to be on your game, and understand that you must put the customer first- at any cost and that is all there is! IF you can't do that every day don't bother-

Advice to Management

keep doing what you are doing

"sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Lawson Products full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Supportive management , great schedule....

Cons

no car no expense no phone ....making changes for sake of making changes.

Advice to Management

leave the sales force be for a few yrs. let them sell.

9. "Lawson Products...an Incredible Company"

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Lawson Products (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredible Company with many Opportunities. First class in all aspects.

Cons

Need to work hard to be successful...not really a con

Advice to Management

Continue the great support

10. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Lawson Products full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, proactive approach to process change, Lean Six Sigma, solid management with a hands off style.

Cons

Can be hard work if you're in the field but it's a very rewarding career.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to advice from the field.