Lawson Products "sales reps" Reviews | Glassdoor

Lawson Products Employee Reviews about "sales reps"

Updated Jan 8, 2017

3.3
Lawson Products President and Chief Executive Officer 	Michael G. DeCata
Michael G. DeCata
Pros
  • "Lawson allows our sales reps to earn as much as they are capable of(in 10 reviews)

• "If you are a eager individual who wants an opportunity to advance in your career, Lawson is a great company for you(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Only thing I find challenging is the lack of car allowance(in 8 reviews)

• "Some indecision at upper management level can make for inefficiencies at the "worker" level(in 6 reviews)

Reviews about "sales reps"

Return to all Reviews

"Sales Representative"

Current Employee - District Sales Manager

I have been working at Lawson Products full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

As a Sales Rep of Lawson Products, you'll have an opportunity to build/grow your own business by-selling "Quality Products & Service". You'll accomplish personal success with the support of exceptional Corporate Programs, Corporate employees, and Corporate values. Your District Sales Manager will provide direct input and support to help you reach personal sales goals and income. Your "success" in our business is... "Lawson's success"-- we're all part of a "Family/Team".

Cons

Building a successful business as a sales rep is directly related to your personal drive, effort, persistence, and your ability to make adjustments every day. This opportunity is for a person that has self motivation to succeed--to win and maintain customers in a competitive field. In the end, your ability to "build trust" with your customers, so that they come to you for their MRO needs.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide exceptional Corporate Programs to help the Sales Rep grow their business.

Lawson Products2016-02-26
  2. "Good Honest Work"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Lawson Products full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been with Lawson Products for just about a year now and have seen continued growth in my customer base. It's like having my own business with Lawson as support for my growth. Customer service rocks Engineering is helpful with item I don't know Other Sales rep are willing to help when you ask for it Good training and support through blogs and email. Manager and District managers are good and helpful... getting me what I need Demos that work and produce sales. Good pricing on items I purchase for demos. Excellent product mix and more added all the time.

Cons

Strategic Account Pricing More Demo Videos Chemical information and use training

Advice to Management

Alaska needs better freight policy Fright inclusive variable accounts

Lawson Products2017-01-08

"The Truth About Lawson Sales Reps"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milton, WV

I have been working at Lawson Products full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Lawson has great products and a great reputation in the MRO industry. Many of the people who work for Lawson have been there for years. The commissions are very good (I make more money than most of my friends with 9 to 5 jobs) and the support from management and corporate is excellent. The job hours are somewhat flexible and you meet good people in the field. There is no clock to punch and there is a sense of... freedom in this business. You set your own schedule so it really is possible to make a very comfortable living working for Lawson as a sales rep and still be able to be at your kids school performances. There is a very nice work/life balance. I have been in the industry for nearly 15 years. I left for a couple of years and came back to it. For me, it fits my lifestyle and I really enjoy it. Lawson has put a large investment in technology over the past few years. There were some growing pains that came along with that but now those investments are beginning to pay dividends. The training is very good and they are continually striving to get better. That isn't just a talking point. Its the truth. You are taught every step of the selling process as well as the products and their application. Lawson has a very broad range of MRO supplies and many are exclusive to Lawson. The benefits are very good as well. (Medical, Dental etc.)

Cons

Ok, here are the negatives. This is a job that you have to be willing to work at. There is no set schedule and you must be self motivated. It is a commission driven job. The more you sell, the more you make. It also doesn't hurt to be good at organization and managing your time. Although we don't turn the wrenches, you will often be working in shops and large garages with people who get their hands dirty. If this... is not something that you are comfortable with, then this may not be the best place for you. Outside sales can be lonely at first. Early in your career you don't yet know your customers and you are in a car by yourself a lot. (After a while this changes. Some of my best friends started out as customers). This job is commission only. You start out with a support plan to help you get on your feet but it is commission only. Keep that in mind. This scares a lot of people but the reality of it is that I actually make more money even after my expenses than most of my friends. You use your own vehicle. The company helps with this for quite a while but then you are expected to cover all of your expenses. As a Rep you are advising your customers on products that they can buy from you to make their job easier and often you have to teach them how to be more efficient. So it also helps if you are a good problem solver. (I don't know if that is a con but I guess for some people it could be)

Advice to Management

We are headed in the right direction. Thank you.

Lawson Products2016-02-25
  4. "District Sales Manager"

Current Employee - District Sales Manager

I have been working at Lawson Products full-time for more than a year

Pros

Uncapped earning potential. Lawson allows our sales reps to earn as much as they are capable of. The only thing that will hold them back is the amount of work they are willing to put in. Superior Product: Lawson is widely known in our industry for having the highest quality products and services available.

Cons

This job is not for everyone: If you aren't a self-starter and able to set goals and develop a plan to meet those goals this may not be the right place for you

Lawson Products2016-02-24
  5. "Great Company To Work For! Come Join Us!"

Outside Sales Representative in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Lawson Products

Pros

I have worked as a Sales Rep. for Lawson Products for over 12 years. It truly is a great company to work for. There are a vast amount of opportunities within the company for career growth. Lawson Products sells great products, and provides customers with service that is second to none. As a sales representative, there is unlimited opportunity to make as much $$ as you would like to. You are directly rewarded... and paid for your hard work. You will get as much out of it, as you put into it. We are looking for more sales reps right now. Come join a winning team!

Cons

No cons that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the ideas & suggestions of the sales representatives. Their suggestions help make the processes run smoother.

Lawson Products2016-02-09

"LOVING LAWSON!"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Lawson Products full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have been working for Lawson Products for only 4 months and haven't regretted one second! Fellow sales reps are from very diverse backgrounds, so don't let that stop you from seriously looking at working for Lawson Products! After 20 years as a motivational speaker and lecturer, a national retail manager for non-profit, international business trainer and productivity and efficiency consultant for businesses..., I have brought all those transferable skills to my role as Lawson Products Sales Representative. My formal education was in Marketing and Production/Operations, and I am finally "back to my first love" in industrial sales, Why leave that diverse background to represent Lawson Products? It's one thing to deliver 'opinions' and 'ideas', but now, with Lawson Products, my ideas for productivity and cost-savings are backed by 63 years of engineering and product development of durable, quality products! It is super exciting to help my customers get to where they want to go as a company. Lawson Products offers a very generous "ramp-up" timeframe for new reps growing our territories. When I first encountered Lawson at my first, and last, job fair, I was amazed to see 36-month base support, along with uncapped commission, to give a nice runway to grow my business. They provide an expense allowance during the 3 years you receive a base salary. That was huge for me because it reflected Lawson's strategic direction to provide what it takes to help me be successful. You want that in a company as an Outside Sales Rep. The autonomy and flexibility I enjoy every day gives me room to design, strategize and grow my customer base and still be available for my family if needed. It's perfect. I'm not punching a clock. I'm not sitting at a desk. I am out meeting new people every day and finding ways to help them be more productive and effective in how they do their job. Lawson is able to train any motivated person, who desires to act with the utmost level of integrity on a daily basis, and who chooses to work hard to provide quality service and product sales for the MRO industry. The effort Lawson has put into retaining their existing sales team and attracting new ones is proof they know who is out there bringing in the business and they appreciate it. A huge factor in succeeding is the high-quality, expedient support from the corporate departments ranging from Customer Service, Product Engineering, New Accounts, Government and Strategic Accounts personnel. Having these teams in place to respond quickly has helped me build trust and respect with my customers. The Lawson corporate network is solid and expedient in helping me provide solutions for my customers and that adds to my bottom-line almost instantly! The professional level of commitment to the sales team, evident with the compensation plan, solution-focused engineers and support personnel, just makes my job that much more enjoyable! Long list of Pros, but am so excited to have found Lawson Products!

Cons

My main regret is having not found Lawson Products earlier in life! A Con for me was not having a strong working knowledge of the categories of maintenance supplies we sell. That has been a sharp learning curve, not insurmountable, but people coming from a mechanical background will have a faster ramp-up. I have worked really hard, with lots of outside reading and researching to aquire a general knowledge of each... category and am able to ask questions from the various Lawson departments. The Con is this is not a job to take if you just want to fly under the radar, get by with minimal effort, be satisfied with a base salary, or have no passion to serve your customers with integrity and genuine care. This job requires heart!

Advice to Management

Create a Mentorship Program for veteran sales reps to choose to mentor new reps to reduce ramp-up time! Compensate them in some way for sharing their experience and being available to answer questions from the new rep.

Lawson Products2015-10-13

"An American Company That Cares"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at Lawson Products full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lawson is restructuring their entire way of doing good business to business sales. They are currently building their outside sales force and allowing their sales reps to grow the business.

Cons

Old way of doing business, if they keep making the necessary changes the need then they will not have any cons to face in the future.

Advice to Management

Promote from within, many of your sales reps have the knowledge and drive to be the leaders of the company for the future.

Lawson Products2015-08-17

"Focus on the field people"

Current Employee - DSM

I have been working at Lawson Products full-time for less than a year

Pros

Management recognizes that everyone in the company depends on the success of the sales reps in the field. Quality products, excellent service and fill rates. New system gives reps ability to set prices locally to ensure they are competitive.

Cons

One separate department is used to source all special orders instead of staff who are familiar with particular product categories or vendors.

Lawson Products2014-10-07

"The Company has turned around and they are in growth mode. The transition with SAP was difficult but"

Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Lawson Products full-time

Pros

The company is growing which leads to future opportunities at many levels. If a sales rep stays with the structure of demonstrating products on every call they can earn commissions much higher than normal. You can place bins and cabinets at no charge which helps customers and the sales force. Organizing a shop and labeling everything makes it easy for repeat business.

Cons

The outside sales position is hard work, but for those willing to stay with it, they will earn a great income. Its easy to be become an order taker but if you do, your income will suffer

Advice to Management

increase product education

Lawson Products2014-09-01

"Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Lawson Products full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lawson has made many changes is the past 5 years, all changes have been needed and improved the company. Lawson is growing and adding many new sales reps and growing its market share. Its a great place to grow your carrier.

Cons

Cant really say anything negative about the company.

Lawson Products2014-08-26