Layne Christensen Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
David A.B. Brown

Pros
  • There are some good people who have been beat down by the company (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Loss of communication from employees to upper management (in 5 reviews)

• There is no work/life balance here, no pay raises and no bonuses just vague assurances things will get better (in 3 reviews)

1. "HR"

Former Employee - Consultant in Humble, TX
    Former Employee - Consultant in Humble, TX

I worked at Layne Christensen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Allowed me to do my job and provided me with the tools I needed.

Cons

Unfortunately that was a time where the company had to begin layoffs in all departments, just as many other employers were. Wish them the best.

"Toxic culture"

Former Employee - Driller in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Driller in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Layne Christensen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits were above average.
    Fair per diem policy

Cons

Very cliquish and condescending culture. Outsiders not welcome. Overbearing temperamental man-child for in a certain management position. Relative to the rest of the country, very low pay for drilling.
    New hire paperwork is literally more voluminous than a phone book.

Advice to Management

Not everyone is limited by the sparse opportunities in Southwest Florida, and as a result will be intolerant of abusive rig managers/operations managers. Clean house and get some professionals in there. Right now it's literally lord of the flies. You have people in management that call former employees AFTER they have resigned just to belittle and bombard them with profanities. That is harassment. One day that'll get Layne sued. You will never retain talent with the current "old boys club" in place. Perhaps that's why the Florida division is so unproductive? Why not make the division something better than a boys club that serves to tide oil field hands over during busts?

3. "Former employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mission, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mission, KS

Pros

No one bothers you if you do your work

Cons

Loss of communication from employees to upper management

Advice to Management

Include employees in

4. "Supervisor/installer"

Former Employee - Field Supervisor- Installation Technician in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Field Supervisor- Installation Technician in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Layne Christensen full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company has long history so it will be around for awhile.

Cons

If there is no work or slow you get sent home. So you could have 50hrs one week and then 20hrs the next week.

Advice to Management

Keep your employees working at least 40hrs a week or you will be losing good people.

"Needs new direction..."

Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at Layne Christensen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fellow colleagues were great to work with. Loved my job.

Cons

Management and execs have no clue on how to treat their employees. No bonuses or pay increases, except the cost of living raise which is next to nothing. Benefits were outrageous. Corporate was a revolving door...constant change.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the employees. They are the ones doing all of the work!

"Water Treatment Division, Mesa, AZ"

Former Employee - Senior Mechanical Designer in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Mechanical Designer in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Layne Christensen full-time

Pros

There are no pros to work for this company, read all of the reviews and do yourself a favor and heed the warnings. As a Senior Mechanical Designer they will expect you to work numerous hours of overtime without any compensation at all. Their benefits package is no more than them providing you insurance they purchased off the market place. Their 401k plan was so weak I could not bring myself to put any of my money into it. After about three months they did a review and basically told me I was going fast enough even though they knew I did not have a lot of Inventor software experience, so I quit at that point and surprisingly they keep me another 9 months, they are so desperate. I personally knew better than to work for this company but the lure of an easy commute overpowered my reasoning, please do not make the same mistake.

Cons

I worked for a group complete idiots that sit around trying to figure out how to tell their managers that their project is running late because of the designer is to slow, I don't know about that, they purchased new computers that were a complete step down from what I started with. I even spec'd out what type of computers they should buy but they had the another designer do the same and went with what he thought, little or no thought went into selecting the appropriate computers as recommended by Autodesk. The bottom line is this company is failing and doesn't have the funds in place to even upgrade their computers. The computer they bought for me allowed a command about every 2-3 minutes while I sat there staring at the windows blue circle. I was let go 6 days before I was to go on vacation to see my brothers gravestone and my mother after her fight with breast cancer so they really don't care about you at all just what you can do for them. Once again please heed my warning this company will suck the life out of yo and not think twice about it.

Advice to Management

I have no advice other than liquidate your assets and let the company be sold off, maybe someone with a brain will buy and make something of it. Oh by the way I had a great vacation and haven't felt so great about things since I was let go. Pull your heads out boys maybe you will see the light before it's too late.

"Hoping it can get back to its roots"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in The Woodlands, TX

Pros

Incredible field people, but the corporate office is out of touch with the company's history, which is what made it successful for over a century

Cons

C level executives only care about the money going in their own pockets...look at the golden parachutes in the public filings - disgusting

Advice to Management

Get back to basics. Start looking out for the company's best interest and not your own!

"Unprofessional and Toxic"

I worked at Layne Christensen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I don't have a 20 word minimum for this place. The best thing there was the pay. Some of the co-workers were nice but supervisors are full of themselves.

Cons

Toxic environment, revolving door. Poor management. Non team environment. This company allows certain people to get away with very aggressive acts towards other employees.

Advice to Management

Don't let your lower level supervisors make decisions based on their insecurities and personal feelings.

9. "Payroll Specialist"

Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in Mission Woods, KS
    Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in Mission Woods, KS

I worked at Layne Christensen full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great job processing weekly hourly payroll, and biweekly salaried payroll verifying garnishments and child support

Cons

Moved corporate office to Houston, TX

Advice to Management

None known

"Sr. HR manager"

Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Layne Christensen (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, culture and work environment

Cons

Unstable company, not consistency in policies, resistance from upper management