Leading Authorities Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 20, 2017

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mark French

"Been here for several years - still love it"

Current Employee - Program Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Leading Authorities full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture in this office is extremely unique from others I've experienced. Everyone is very friendly and interaction among co-workers is encouraged. There are company outings and happy hours planned a few times a year to ensure new hires have a chance to get to know the rest of the staff. Leading Authorities loves to take care of their own and promote from within - several people started here as interns and employees are able to move between departments in order to find the right fit. There is an open door policy with C-level management so anyone is able to voice an opinion or concern regardless of title. If you work hard and are a team player here, management will notice and have your back. I love working here and don't plan on leaving anytime soon. Oh, we also represent some extremely cool speakers and have the privilege of meeting them and listening to them speak in our office and at our private events.

Cons

Teleworking hasn't been fully implemented or accepted yet. There was a problem with dated technology around the office, but that was overhauled in 2015 and much better now.

Advice to Management

Hire more sales support!

"A lot of micro managing on insignificant projects, nice co workers for the most part, but culture is not ideal"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

You get to meet interesting people that come into the office for events or to be introduced as a speaker

Cons

Micro managing is rampant, really behind technologically, management is "meh" - they don't really want to foster their workers, but rather get results with no inbetween

Advice to Management

Help your employees to develop their skills, from interns to seasoned consultants, there is always room for improvement and development.

"A personal hands on experience at a smaller sized dc firm"

Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Leading Authorities as an intern

Pros

Great office morale, interesting clients, steadily growing and expanding their business

Cons

Without constant events the workday can be a little slow

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing in terms of office morale and staff enjoyment

"A fun, creative, and progressive environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Once you "pay your dues / prove yourself", your opinion and ideas have the opportunity to directly impact the company's operations and creative vision. This is a fast-paced, progressive work environment where good career-focused employees can thrive.

And did I mention we get to meet famous people?!?!
    Well "DC famous" anyway.

Cons

The traffic in and surrounding DC!

"Career Suicide. Worried I'll never grow or advance here. Leadership lacking."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

casual dress, laid back, decent staff, politicians visit, location, food at monthly meetings, few HR rules wear what you want, say what you want)

Cons

not a whole lot of smiles here; staffers run for the door at 5:00. lots of boring busy work that is pointless. no recognition. overworked employees. crappy computers. not tech savvy. leadership doesn't get along and has a hard time creating to a plan and sticking to it. sales team is not given good resources or even realistic goals. uses outdated sales models--dialing for dollars & cold calling. even upper level sales wishes for better conditions. don't see a lot of promotions. commission is not good. LA has trouble getting and KEEPING big name talent. keep adding the same old white male military leader-types to the speaker roster. it's hard to sell here. few clients are loyal to LA. if another employee bothers you, makes you uncomfortable, or takes your business, you're just out of luck--HR and management won't help. worse CRM and confusing email system. marketing needs to be more open to suggestions from sales. work elsewhere if you can. uggh.

Advice to Management

they'd never take advice because they know it all, but if I could, I'd suggest investing in better technology, stop bickering in front of everyone, create guidelines, give more recognition where it's due, and create a strategic plan and stick to it instead of changing your mind every week.

"A place to grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

LAI is a face paced company and their is plenty to learn

Cons

burn out of staff is chronic.

"Negative work environment where teamwork isn't encouraged, poor resources & impossible goals"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

casual work environment, good central location

Cons

Where do I begin? Poor technology. Lack of resources needed to get the job done. Dissatisfied employees frustrated with leadership. No support and little respect for employees from management. Employees are on their own to solve problems and are looked down upon when they ask for funds to resolve problems. "Not my problem" heard most often. Management rarely has time for employees. High turnover. Interns even quit. MICRO MANAGING is a way of life here. You might get promoted--after 4 years as a coordinator. Leadership squabbles openly with one another and finds it hard to agree. Management's hair is always on fire. Large group meetings often end in frustration and no defined direction. Don't want to spend money to make money. Leadership changes mind every single day and hands down conflicting priorities. The position they describe during interviews will likely change drastically on your first day as an employee and you have no say or control over it. Employees are only out for themselves as that is the culture that is set by leadership. A young company with a less-than-stellar reputation with customers. Leadership sadly believes there is a "magic bullet" to solve every problem. If the bosses don't like you and feel you can't reach lofty goals in a month's time, you're out.

Advice to Management

They seem threatened by advice. Handing down impossible goals to staff without resources is just bad business. Respect for employees and understanding of what they actually do (and biggest challenges) would help the company progress. Allowing employees time to offer solutions and problem solve with you is key.

8. "Strong Team Environment, Entrepreneurial Culture"

I have been working at Leading Authorities full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very collaborative teamwork to accomplish goals - I could always count on members of my department to support my objectives and vice versa. The company also has a very entrepreneurial culture in the regard that they support their employees in training opportunities and learning new skills that would benefit the employee and the company at the same time. They allow you to grow your role based on your interests as long as it aligns with the needs of the company and don't force you to stick to predetermined job duties. If you can dream it, you can do it.

Cons

Tight office space due to internal growth - but we are moving to a great new space in August of 2017!

9. "Great place if you have drive"

I have been working at Leading Authorities full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Prove yourself and the company will look for ways you can advance
    -Great corporate culture if you like to work hard/play hard
    -Competitive compensation
    -Great location
    -Continue to invest in new technology
    -Regular speaker visits allow you to meet and ask questions to really interesting/accomplished people

Cons

Prefer people in office to working from home

"Marketing Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Leading Authorities as an intern

Pros

The people and atmosphere at the office is really laid back. There is a good sense of camaraderie with everyone who works there.

Cons

Very repetitive tasks with directions that were often times unclear. I did not feel that anyone was really keeping tabs on me and that a lot of the work I was given was seen as unimportant.