Leaf Group Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Leaf Group CEO Sean Moriarty
Sean Moriarty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Healthy work-life balance (up to you to create boundaries and set expectations with your manager/BU)" (in 18 reviews)

• "Not sure how things are in the rebranded Leaf Group, but Demand Media was the best company culture I've experienced" (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • "There's no cons to working here, they have free lunches all the times, great perks, great people, great environment, i literally have no complaints" (in 5 reviews)

• "including myself, which is why I no longer work there" (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Play Hard, Work Harder"

Current Employee - Marketing Acquisition in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Acquisition in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Leaf Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Great benefits and perks such as on-site training, unlimited vacation, pay-to-play, bring-your-pet-to-work, yoga classes, stocked kitchen, etc.
    2. Management is very supportive and open minded. Not just your bosses, but all levels. They really want to see you succeed.
    3. Challenging and fulfilling projects full of opportunities for growth. The premium site is one of the brightest and most collaborative teams I've worked on.
    4. Extra credit to the People team who have made things much easier (and fun as well). Great place to work!

Cons

Would love to see more interaction between different teams, especially marketplace & media.

Advice to Management

Keep up the openness and excitement.

May 1, 2018 – Director, Talent Acquisition and Corporate Communications

We thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your time here. Our teams work very hard to provide a challenging and fulfilling environment, ensuring that you grow as you help the company... More

"Great for those who want to be better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Leaf Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The leadership is very smart. There are few companies doing what we do.
    The people here really know a lot about what they do in all different areas and it's great to have conversations with people from so many different backgrounds.
    The benefits are second to none.
    Leadership really cares here. They want people to be better and grow. You will work hard here and, if you're like me, you like to keep busy.

Cons

There are some people here who need to figure out if they want to work hard and grow with the company.
    I wish some people here took more initiative to be curious about the business and the goals.
    There are some here who are content with not growing and you can see those around them trying to inspire them as much as possible.

Advice to Management

Keep being ambitious and striving for innovation.

"Great people"

Former Employee - Editor in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Editor in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Leaf Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great community of people who truly let you own your task. Flexible hours as long as you prove yourself in terms of getting sh*t done. Constant motion of new projects, executives are very transparent and open to sharing business goals or roadblocks. Really good employee benefits.

Cons

Not many cons. There are a lot of opportunities but it's up to the employee to speak up and really take charge of what they want in terms of career growth; I will say that promotions and salary increases seem to take a long time.

Jan 16, 2019 – Director, Talent Acquisition and Corporate Communications

We so appreciate you taking the time to give your feedback on your time with us. We work very hard to ensure our employees have the tools and resources to succeed. We definitely believe in empowering... More

4. "Solid place to work"

I worked at Leaf Group full-time

Pros

Leaf Group has a really nice work environment. It is usually quiet enough to concentrate, there are free snacks and coffee everywhere, and people are friendly there. I was thoroughly trained on my job and my direct manager was great. I never felt too overwhelmed, and there is a lot of respect amongst people. You're never talked down to there. One of the best aspects of LG is the unlimited vacation time. They also offer good benefits like healthcare, matching 401(k), free yoga classes, discounted gym passes, free lunch Fridays, different workspaces within the office, and more. It's a good place to start a career, and you may even be able to make up your own unique position there down the line. If you have a job offer from them, definitely take it. It's much better than most 9-5s out there.

Cons

There is not a lot of collaboration between teams. Layoffs came unexpectedly. There is no overarching motive like, "We're making the world a better place." It's simply corporate. You're there to make money for the company. Some upper team managers never introduce themselves, which feels strange when you're working for them. The pay is on the low side as well.

Advice to Management

Introduce yourselves to your new team members and have events where people on different teams can get to know each other. Millennials want feel-good messaging, so work on that. Give them a reason to come to work every day other than just making money for the company. Increase your pay, because Los Angeles is expensive. Hire more women to be in upper managerial roles.

Dec 18, 2018 – People Team

Thank you so much for taking the team to review your time here. Acknowledging our friendly team, the ability to train and grow, and our benefits among other aspects of our company means a lot... More

"You'll get treated well"

I have been working at Leaf Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is extremely helpful and easy to get along with. Work doesn't feel like work and Leaf genuinely cares about you. Company culture is very nice here.

Cons

Maybe have some events to get to know people outside of your team.

Advice to Management

Good job everybody. Everybody makes this experience enjoyable.

Nov 13, 2018 – Director, Talent Acquisition and Corporate Communications

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your time with us so far. We value our teams and believe they are key to a successful company. We will also look into doing more to have people meet... More

"Leaf Group is a Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Leaf Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I truly enjoy working at Leaf Group! We have a fantastic culture, smart, engaged, collaborative teams and lots of transparency. Not to mention the modern and open workspace with beautiful artwork throughout.

Cons

Not that I can think of.

Nov 12, 2018 – Director, Talent Acquisition and Corporate Communications

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your time with us. We definitely appreciate our teams who are invested in making the company the kind of place they want to thrive in. Being surrounded... More

"You won't beLeaf how awesome and amazing Leaf Group is"

I have been working at Leaf Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing staff, everyone is super friendly and accommodating. They really care about you and your experience working at Leaf Group

Cons

I wish they could bring the dog policy back

Nov 15, 2018 – Director, Talent Acquisition and Corporate Communications

BeLeaf is awesome! We definitely care about our teams at Leaf Group and we're happy that this view is apparent. Thank you for your review.

"Great People, Great Brands"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Leaf Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leaf Group's start-up style means there is a lot of opportunity to seek out new responsibilities to challenge yourself and grow in your career. Leadership expects every employee to work hard and deliver results and the team mentality makes for great collaboration. It's a fantastic environment that breeds great work from its employees and teams.

Cons

Employees get out of the job what they put in. The harder you work, the more you accomplish and the greater the reward.

Nov 6, 2018 – Director, Talent Acquisition and Corporate Communications

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your thoughts on working at Leaf Group. It's important to us that we give our employees the room to grow, be active in their own development, and work... More

"An Amazing Place to Work"

I have been working at Leaf Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The People: Leaf Group is full of engaging employees who are supportive of their fellow co-workers.

-The Leaders: Management at Leaf is responsive to their employee's concerns and forward thinking as oppose to being reactive. You instantly get the feeling as if they actually care about their employees. And when the leaders of your organization have those characteristics, the same feeling is disseminated throughout the ranks.

-Benefits: Another way you can tell that Leaf Group cares about their employees is through their benefits. They not only care about the employees, but their families as well.

-Unique Learning Environment: You are challenged at Leaf. There are times you can be pushed out of you comfort zone, but those are the times when you will learn the most about your role and yourself. Leaf is also a place for the curious. If show an interest in something, Leaf would provide you the tools to explore that curiosity.

Cons

None. I have been in a number of different work environments for various organizations in different fields, and I have never felt as if I was a part of a better group.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

Oct 26, 2018 – Director, Talent Acquisition and Corporate Communications

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. We are so happy that your first year is going so well. We pride ourselves on having a curious work environment and having employees who are... More

"Few years now and planning to stay longer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Leaf Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Within my time here so far, coworkers have been very supportive and they contributed greatly to my growth and development. It's been helpful getting to know other employees and learning more about their teams and positions across the company.

Cons

It can be busier than usual at times so you definitely have to self-manage and prioritize well.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your people

Oct 26, 2018 – Director, Talent Acquisition and Corporate Communications

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback. We definitely advocate learning about all of the different roles with each of our brands as knowledge sharing helps employees grow. Self-managing and... More