LeapFrog Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
LeapFrog CEO John Barbour
John Barbour

Pros
Cons
  • lack of vision at times from senior management (in 24 reviews)

• upper management not involved below their level (in 18 reviews)

1. "Glad I left!"

Former Employee - Licensing Manager in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Licensing Manager in Emeryville, CA

I worked at LeapFrog full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learned a lot from licensors about making strong brands. Individual contributors can affect real change to the product mix and influence brand image.

Cons

Little to no planning for future hardware or software. "New" hardware had same specs as previous hardware. All hardware and software was proprietary and couldn't support third-party development.

Advice to Management

Base your business on real data, not highest paid opinions.

"DEPRESSING"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Emeryville, CA

I worked at LeapFrog full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people and incredible products!!! But....

Cons

CEO ran it to the bone, and bankrupted the company. Sold out to the lowly competitor that was always copying/chasing. What a loss for our children!

Advice to Management

Give back the $$$ you stole from the employees!

3. "Leapfrog no more"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at LeapFrog full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people that have excellent knowledge of industry.

Cons

Departments do not work together to benefit company
    To many friends hiring friends whether qualified or not

Advice to Management

You are now gone, please make better business decisions wherever you land next.

"Senior Producer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, CA

I worked at LeapFrog (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, innovative and creative environment.

Cons

Poor upper management decisions led to consistent struggle and eventual downfall of company.

Advice to Management

Not applicable.

"Forget about working here..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at LeapFrog full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loved the work environment and my co-workers. Lots of bright people who really enjoyed for a company that makes products that help children learn. This will all change, however. With all the employee reductions and more to come, this company will never be the same. Many current employees who rightfully don't believe the CEO's optimism are already looking for new jobs.

Cons

Executive Level Management...they're a joke. The CEO is a con-man. He tells everybody not to worry as he has a strategy in place, then proceeds to lay people off after the company misses their revenue targets again and again by a mile. How can you be so wrong? In the short time I've been employed here I've seen a 50% reduction in staff...and more to come. Since the announcement of the VTech acquisition we've been told that this is an "opportunity" for us to grow and expand, and the VTech is impressed with our technology, processes and people...who is he kidding? If we were such a great company, then why did we get sold for a mere $72M? Was it because the company has lost a HUGE amount of money over the past several years? So much money lost that we no longer get a 401K match or annual bonus! The only opportunity is for is for the CEO and his Senior VPs to walk away with millions after running what was once a good company into the ground. It makes me sick to see what they've done to this company and how many good people's lives have been affected by poor management.

Advice to Management

This won't happen as the company will now be owned by Vtech, but you should've been honest with your sales forecasts and the fact the company could not survive given the current cost structure, rather than give employees false hopes by telling them constant lies. Leapfrogs as we all new is no more...

"If you want to quit, give only 2 day notice ( not more than that )"

I worked at LeapFrog full-time

Pros

Kids games
    Feel like you are working for a company that brings entertainment with education

Cons

Misuse of funds in the name of ERP implementations
    No proper check on project costs
    HR sucking up to management and taking decisions that lack common sense

Advice to Management

After working for 8 years in this company, I got good opportunity outside and gave 10 days notice to mgmt. My boss asked me to send email that I would like to quit ( after 10 days ) on that day. Next day, I was called for Exit interview that came as a shock to me. I was given 3 days salary and was shown the door. When asked, they mentioned my job was a critical position and they cannot compromise. I told them that would create bad impression for other group members. I asked them how they gave farewell parties upfront for other employees who were in "more critical position" than me. They didn't listen. Instead they gave me suggestion on how I can apply for UNEMPLOYMENT benefits. Atrocious.

Finally contacted a lawyer who said I might get my 7 days salary if I file case on discrimination basis but it is not worth fighting for. He also mentioned somebody will be definitely punished at the core during this process. Later I left it as I got busy with new and better job.

So, my suggestion to others, if you are leaving this employer , you give less than 2 days notice as that is the CA law mentioned by this company HR.

Specially when employees come under different groups after reorg, you are in BIG trouble.

"A once proud company in shambles."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I worked at LeapFrog full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Talented and friendly coworkers who believe in the mission and are incredibly passionate about quality. A long history of great products and a respected brand that has educated and entertained children for decades. The worker bees truly care about the end user.

Cons

Morale cannot get any lower. The leadership team is either completely incompetent or is purposely sinking the company so that they can cash out and retire. Marketing has run the company for many years with no creative or technical counter weight to balance them out. Ridiculous production schedules and a copy cat mentality ensure that this company is always a few years behind the latest hot trend. An abundance of out of touch cooks running the kitchen means that decisions get made as slowly and stupidly as possible.

Advice to Management

Have some accountability and fire the CEO, CMO, CFO and head of sales. Allow talented people with technical or creative backgrounds to have a voice. Stop letting out of touch marketing toy people run the company straight into the ground. Stop making crappy confusing commercials that don't communicate the product strengths and LOWER YOUR PRICES. Consumers are savvy and broke so stop trying to sell them magic beans that cost more than a 4 course meal.

"From "I can" to "I didn't""

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at LeapFrog full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most people here love what they do and are passionate about bringing educational toys and games to support children's growth and development.

Cons

The past year has worn passionate people down, driving morale lower than I thought it could ever go. Most are holding on to their jobs for dear life or are using every opportunity to get out. There are clear political and hierarchical relationships that allow certain people to move up and others at bay. No room for growth, unless of course you happen to be part of the club. Unlike it's mission statement, LeapFrog does not want every employee to "reach their full potential."

Advice to Management

Trust and listen to your teams. Don't pay contractors and outside agencies to provide you with expensive, outdated ideas.

"Just say no"

Current Employee - Manager in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at LeapFrog full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Majority of the people here are great. They truly care about educating children with the best tools. Nice location.

Cons

Executive Senior management here is spectacular in their incompetence, arrogance and general "eh" attitude towards common sense and their workers trying to keep the company afloat. 2 layoff rounds in 2015 so far, last in October with no end in sight. You don't want to work here unless your truly desperate. And even then, don't. You'd be better off driving for Uber.

Advice to Management

You all (senior executive team) have made Leapfrog the laughingstock of the industry. You owe every single Leapfrog employee past and present an apology. And your resignation notices.

"Senior Finance Analyst"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Oakland, CA

I worked at LeapFrog full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good products that were invented for kids back in the days.

Cons

Very Political environment. Nothing gets done. No collaboration, accountability, respect or professionalism. HR is hopeless.

Advice to Management

Fire all the old managements and bring in new blood.