LeapFrog Reviews | Glassdoor

LeapFrog Reviews

Updated May 3, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • lack of vision at times from senior management (in 24 reviews)

• upper management not involved below their level (in 18 reviews)

1. "Decent place overall. Can't complain too much."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at LeapFrog full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good atmosphere. It's definitely a great brand to work for, and has a stellar reputation, and dedicated employees. There is excellent creative energy.

Cons

Product variation was becoming too narrow, and had a lot of room for improvement. Also, there wasn't as much room for growth as would've been ideal.

2. "Senior Producer"

Former Employee - Senior Producer in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Producer in Emeryville, CA

I worked at LeapFrog full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Creative company, motivated by learning goals

Cons

High volume production on tight timelines, not a lot of diversity in product line so not as competitive in industry

"No leadership in IT, no team work & Leaders are busy to secure their jobs"

Former Employee - Associate Brand Manager in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Brand Manager in Emeryville, CA

I worked at LeapFrog full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Making Educational toys and helping kids is pride

Cons

No team work, one man show and no career growth, bad work environment in IT

Advice to Management

You may review to see what's happening in IT

5. "Mixed, Depends on the department."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I worked at LeapFrog full-time

Pros

A lot of nice, talented people. Great building/environment/location, Great HR department. Inspiring CEO. Wonderful products.

Cons

Lack of resources. In several areas of the company, there are checked out middle managers. Workloads extremely heavy for product marketing managers and creative marketing team due to budget constraints and inefficient allocation of resources. The workload is not sustainable and creates way too much stress even for the most talented and dedicated team players.

Advice to Management

Yes you need to be lean and the company is in turnaround and everyone needs to contribute, but you should require your middle managers to engage with their staff, listen to their teams in the trenches and be watchful of the "YES" managers who are afraid to speak their mind with senior leaders. Require managers to position their best for success, support them, help them grow and get rid of those who are not contributing. Do not stand by while people are working 12 - 15 hour days and through lunch hours for months on end.

"Very political and unhealthy environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at LeapFrog full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In the summer they close Emeryville office at 2pm. OK benefits. Good location

Cons

Very political environment. Bias incompetent management who are dismissive of new ideas and improvement. Not innovative. Senior Management lacks vision. Systems are really old and defective and NO documentation or processes for business anywhere. Every department is short staffed, so people work long hours of overtime. Management do not value employee's life.
    During the interview - they will promise you the world. Do not expect to get trained on anything. If you ask questions, Managements gets very defensive.
    If you take your job seriously, value accuracy, try to be efficient and good at it and try to change the unhealthy environment around you - there will be resistance. Lots of self inflated old-timers who lacks technical or theoretical knowledge and do NOT like change.
    Managers never take responsibility for anything and not afraid to let employees know that they are all disposable. Do not expect to get promoted within -

Advice to Management

Fire all the self inflated middle managers and bring in new blood.

7. "Fun company, great products, hard work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at LeapFrog full-time

Pros

Exciting, highly collaborative environment with passionate and talented people. Strong corporate mission of helping children achieve their potential. Individuals at all levels can have a strong, direct impact on the business.

Cons

Employees are often overwhelmed with the number of priorities placed on them. Company is expected to outperform itself year after year, even in a volatile industry, which leads to a tendency to try to do too much with very few resources (skeleton staffs, low budgets).

8. "Company culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at LeapFrog full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Children oriented, good products on tablets

Cons

No improvement in culture, process or planning.

"Don't even apply"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at LeapFrog full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My colleagues were the best thing about working at LeapFrog. We worked in an open floor concept, so it was a good thing that we all got along.

Cons

Oh goodness. Pay. Benefits. Dishonesty. Lies. Unreasonable workload expectations.

I am not kidding when I say there were some days when it was an 18-hour work day. There were times where the Developers hadn't slept in two days because they were trying to meet a deadline. So in a nutshell, they treated their employees horribly.

Nothing about this company was done in a manner that supported their employees. All they care about is getting money in the door, whether it's morally correct or not it doesn't matter. Turnover is outrageous. And the only long-term people there are managers and people who are willing to be treated like they are completely replaceable.

Two phrases I heard constantly during my 3+ years working there: "Everyone is replaceable" and "Perception is everything".

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees' advancement. Give raises. Make reasonable expectations of workload. Give praise when a good job is done. Stop walking around just after 5 to see who is working late. Stop lying. Stop manipulating. Get rid of the ridiculous non-compete. Oh, and stop trying to intimidate employees into staying with you because of the non-compete.

"Always something new, great support, fun place to work."

Current Employee - Senior Producer in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Producer in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at LeapFrog full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The mission is solid. We are helping children reach their potential. I see it every day.
    I work with a fantastic team of committed, fun, easy-going people. I laugh every day.
    My manager respects a healthy work-life balance.
    Our newish (2 yrs) CEO is top notch, best I've seen in my time here.
    Process is king.

Cons

There are some frustrations like not getting approval on a project but still having to work on it.

"Great people, poor management."

Former Employee - Producer in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Producer in Emeryville, CA

I worked at LeapFrog full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked with some of the smartest and savviest people in the Bay Area when I worked at "the frog" from 2000-2003. I was on the product development team and learned a tremendous amount from my peers and managers.

Cons

At the time, management had unrealistic schedules and deadlines. The pay was terrible, too. I hope that these things have changed since my time there.