Learning Ally (formerly Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic) Reviews | Glassdoor

Learning Ally (formerly Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic) Reviews

Updated June 22, 2017

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Learning Ally (formerly Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic) President & CEO Andrew Friedman
Andrew Friedman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There is a huge emphasis on work/life balance here, which one of the most important aspects of any job I plan on looking at in the future (in 6 reviews)

• Great product for individuals with visual impairments and for teaching professionals as a supplemental tool to aid in their student's development (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Some might consider the smaller budgets and financial constraints of a non profit as a con, but I appreciate efficiency and avoiding wasteful spending (in 6 reviews)

• The senior management of this organization was absolutely awful and have been the cause of this once proud organization's steady demise (in 5 reviews)

1. "Quality Checker"

I have been working at Learning Ally (formerly Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic) part-time

Pros

Work on your own time both in the studio and at home, the at home community is supportive and informative, the studio team is well knowledgeable and friendly

Cons

Some of the readers do not hit pause for substantial breaks or coughs, though this is individual and not company-related

Advice to Management

Require QC'ing for all readers whenever they need to brush up on their reading skills. You learn a lot more about how you should be reading when you're quality checking someone else's work, and it ultimately helps the kids in the end

2. "Decent Enough"

Pros

nice building, nice colleagues, lots of food

Cons

pretentious upper management and nepotism

"Member Services"

Pros

Good training
    Decent benefits
    Diverse
    Mission-driven work - they really care about their members

Cons

Lots of politics, especially between departments

Advice to Management

Innovate more quickly

4. "A Great Place to Make a Difference"

Current Employee - Studio Production Director in Athens, GA
    Current Employee - Studio Production Director in Athens, GA

Pros

Learning Ally has gone through some tough changes over the past five years or so. When I first came on board in 2008, the place was a mess. There were little "princedoms" all over the country, resulting in a huge variation in both performance quality and job satisfaction. Now, we are a unified organization, with a strong sense of our mission. Our focus is on the people we serve, and our new culture is one based on transparency and teamwork. Every day, I know everything I do is helping make a big difference in someone else's life. It's a great feeling.

Cons

The pay is a little low; I could make quite a bit more with less work if I moved to a position at our local university. We are also a bit understaffed, which gives us all a heavy workload. However, I am keenly aware that my benefits cost me less than my spouse pays at aforementioned university, and I'm also aware that for several years our top brass made sure the rest of us got at least small raises...by foregoing raises for themselves. I really respect that. Also, I don't want "just a job"; I like being part of something so worthwhile.

Advice to Management

Continue helping us all feel that we are each an integral part of the great work being done all across the country. Continue in your efforts to make us all feel valued and a part of this great team.

"Best place I worked"

Former Employee - Production Assistant in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Production Assistant in Princeton, NJ

Pros

Great benefits, great people to work with, family atmosphere early on, pleasant work environment. Free of stress, at least in the departments I worked in.

Cons

Low pay, although that was largely made up for with the benefits. And, as I found out in 2008, it can be hit hard by recessions.

Advice to Management

I don't know what the work environment is like today. But I would advise to keep the great benefits as much as possible and bring back the sense of family that I experienced when I started working there in 2001. Very little was left of it by the time I was downsized out in 2008.

6. "This is a non-profit second to none"

Former Employee - Math Textbook Reader - Volunteer in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Math Textbook Reader - Volunteer in Hollywood, CA

I worked at Learning Ally (formerly Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic) (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have volunteered at Leaning Ally reading textbooks for 27 years. The friendliness, professionalism and skill of everyone I encountered has been excellent. Everyone works well together and the organization has been running smoothly since 1948. Their mission of supplying everyone, regardless of handicap, with access to the printed word has immense social value so work satisfaction has always been at an all time high. They know how to treat their people well.

Cons

None that I have seen in 27 years.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"An Organization with Good Intentions and Bad Management"

Former Employee - Production Assistant
    Former Employee - Production Assistant

Pros

The staff and the volunteers at the recording studio were very inspiring with their dedication and commitment to the mission of the organization and the students they served. Some of the volunteers were especially inspiring considering most of them had volunteering for decades. One volunteer had been volunteering for Learning Ally for over 50 years! The technical support staff in Princeton, NJ was also amazing. Their IT department were always friendly and helpful and were quick to respond to any question.

Cons

The senior management of this organization was absolutely awful and have been the cause of this once proud organization's steady demise. Because of them and the misappropriation of the organization's money, it has turned from a non-profit into a corporate nightmare complete with layoffs, closings of studios, taking away of retirement benefits, a lack of any kind of promotions, and a culture of "do more with less." When you first get hired on in production, it is common to hear things like "we want to know how you could make the process better," only to find that your ideas are never actually taken into consideration. It's common to hear things like, "Our CEO works well over 40 hours; why can't you?" Instead of fixing these issues, Learning Ally executives like to turn a blind eye to all of the problems and instead choose to pat themselves on the back for things like the National Achievement Awards–a ritzy, overpriced gala they use to promote Learning Ally and award students with scholarships (which is great!), all while telling production staff that there's no money to hire more people, give them retirement benefits, or give them an increase in pay.

Advice to Management

It is very disingenuous to tell staff members that they are valued and that their opinions matter if you never do anything to make their working lives any better. It also comes across very badly to tell staff that there is no money to give them raises or offer them retirement benefits if your executives are constantly using organizational money to fly around the United States to promote things like wine tastings and galas. One last piece of advice—if you're going to visit one of your production studios, don't lock yourselves in an office all day and instead sit out with the production staff and volunteers and actually see what they are doing. It is really easy for you to dictate how a studio should be run and what production should focus on when you have no idea what the day-to-day operations entail. It also paints such a horrible picture of you all when you come to a studio as a guest and never actually interact with the staff or volunteers.

"great product, terrible management focus"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I worked at Learning Ally (formerly Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product for individuals with visual impairments and for teaching professionals as a supplemental tool to aid in their student's development.

Cons

Top management is all over the place with company focus. It takes forever to get support and to get something done.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look how some of the management actually manages support staff. Some are so hands off and not good at developing the staff. Some petty interactions and favoritism.

"Strong national NGO focused on helping students"

Pros

Strong mission focus on helping students succeed in school. Have made investments in making service more useful for teachers looking for data, and in making access for students easier.

Cons

Feel like it is the best kept secret in education. Needs greater investment in communications, advertising, and out reach.

Advice to Management

Keep reinforcing core mission.
    Make investments in marketing and advertising
    Remind folks of Sister Kraus's adage: "No margin, no mission."

"Disappointed"

I have been working at Learning Ally (formerly Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic) full-time

Pros

Great product to help students with disabilities become successful. Beautiful building to work in.

Cons

Losing sight of intention to help students as first priority and not make a profit. Some shady things go on in management/board directors that make it difficult for the people who are trying to remain honest and work with integrity.

Advice to Management

Remember why your company exists and go back to running business with integrity and honesty.