Learning Objects Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Derek Hamner

1. "EdTech as Expected"

I worked at Learning Objects full-time

Pros

Culture is great. They do take care of their employees' snack, coffee, soft drink, and happy hour cravings. Team is highly talented, skilled, and entrepreneurial.

Cons

Long hours, work-life balance can be tricky, company strategy is poorly defined, results of recent acquisition yet to be fully understood. Stay tuned.

Advice to Management

Start trusting your team members more.

2. "Progressive Company Progressive Ideals"

Former Employee - People Operations Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - People Operations Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Learning Objects full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome work space, snacks/beer/kitchen gimmes, education support (with real money), opportunity to learn and grow. Amazing coworkers and team comradery.

Cons

Still learning it's place in the product market but with the recent partnership with Cengage, this should clear up over time.

Advice to Management

Appreciate those with tenure in the organization, keep making education better!

"Great company making a difference for learners."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Learning Objects full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small, innovative, agile company on the rise
    Based in learning science and focused on learner success
    Fantastic physical space in downtown DC

Cons

Boot-strapped growth through new client acquisition sometimes makes it hard to get out ahead on the product roadmap. But we're getting there.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent regarding resourcing issues and how they relate to accelerating the strategic roadmap. Be more strategic regarding professional development--tie it to the company's vision of improving learning and education wherever possible.

5. "Great company, great benefits, and very fast paced."

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Learning Objects full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed my time as a QA Engineer at LO; I met some great people, learned a great deal about agile development and software in general, and felt like I had chances to contribute. If I had to list the positives, they would have to be - Awesome co-workers, great job flexibility, amazing perks, and significant growth over a short period of time.

Cons

I'm not going to sugar coat things because wherever you have a ying there is always a yang. The QA role can require long hours because there are times when you will need to work later than usual to ensure build quality after all developer code has been checked in for the day. This is definitely not the place for you if you are faint hearted or can't be flexible.

Advice to Management

Try to recognize your frontline QA staff more for the effort they put in and how much they care. In fact, that should be the case for all staff members, not just development staff.

6. "Awesome environment, demanding though"

I have been working at Learning Objects full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good. Daily snacks, beer and wine for after hours. The work is interesting and exciting. They are really at the cutting edge of education technology.

Cons

I would really expect some sort of 401k matching. The work can sometimes result in very long hours. Initial work planning still needs a bunch of help to make sure there is a good balance.

Advice to Management

401k matching is a must to be truly competitive. Need to involve software developers in the business development process.

"Business Development"

Former Employee - Business Development in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Business Development in Washington, DC

I worked at Learning Objects full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It has a friendly working environment. People would try hard to help you if you need help. It's close to Chinatown metro.

Cons

They have some new competitors.