Lebara Reviews | Glassdoor

Lebara CEO Ratheesan Yoganathan
Ratheesan Yoganathan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • I found this to be particularly upsetting given the competence and dedication of the staff in the firing-line, which explains the high staff turnover (in 6 reviews)

• The excellent people mentioned above are generally under-appreciated by senior management (in 8 reviews)

1. "Just awful"

Former Employee - CS Agent in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - CS Agent in London, England (UK)

I worked at Lebara full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Localisation of the office (Morgate)

Cons

Unfair treatment
    Letting people go without a notice or explanation

Advice to Management

None

"Stay away"

Former Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Lebara full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Colleagues' relationship is the best

Cons

Lots of politics, poor HR! They need to know how to treat employees! They are impolite and rude

Advice to Management

No worth working there, athmosphere is bad and money wise isn't great! Employ you for sometime and they are planning to off shore must of the roles

Lebara Response

Apr 18, 2017 – Head of Talent and Resourcing

Thanks for taking the time out to share your feedback. It’s sometimes difficult to hear when things haven’t gone so well, but we appreciate your honesty, and we’re glad you met some good colleagues... More

"stay away"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Lebara (More than 5 years)

Pros

none really whatsoever....can't think of any

Cons

too much politics, no strategy, completely chaotic, bad vibes, impossible working conditions, place full of lies

Advice to Management

not worth giving any advice

Lebara Response

Apr 18, 2017 – Head of Talent and Resourcing

We’re sorry to hear that you don’t feel positive about your time at Lebara. We’d like to be able to talk with you, so if you want to reach out, please feel you can email in confidence to... More

"Finance"

Former Employee - Finance in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Finance in London, England (UK)

Pros

Some areas are well funded, some staff wanted to work together to make the company a better place to work. People don't work too much past 6pm

Cons

Lots of secrecy, lots of politics. Poor management with poor communication

Advice to Management

Have less managers, ensure that managers have aligned objectives

"Not for the weak."

Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in London, England (UK)

I worked at Lebara full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One pro was that Lebara was forced to pay thousands and thousands of pounds in EU law abided redundancy to all the customer service agents they fired this year, when they decided to move customer service to India.

Cons

Pay was horrible. Hours were inflexible. If you worked part time, they could and would force you to spread out 20 hours over all 7 days of the week.

Bonus scheme for customer service agents were changed constantly, and with a system set up for failure, disregarding that this would also fail the customer.

Advice to Management

Good luck finding new jobs, I hear you're next in December.

"Headless chickens are “fast-moving”, at least until they die"

Former Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Lebara full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for Lebara reminds me of a proverb from my childhood: “Blaming your faults on your nature does not change the nature of your faults”

1. It's easy to get a taxi to leave.

2. It's not the worst place I've worked, but it's close.

3. If you want to see white people being made the subject of racist comments, this is the place.

Cons

1. Many middle and senior management jobs are held by people that have been there a while and claim to be on first-name terms with one of the founders. You can't cross these people, or disagree with them in any way, or your bonus/promotion/project will be forfeit and any recommendations you make will be ignored. Your name will be muddied and you will not be given the chance to defend yourself.

2. This was the worst joining experience I have ever seen. My name was spelt wrongly when entered into their system and so my system logon names were wrong everywhere. It took a week to sort it out, my first week’s email was deleted and HR didn't seem to care. IT did seem to care, but they were so busy that bigger problems always took priority.

3. We seem to be constantly recruiting. 60% staff turnover in the last year and 40% the year before. We had 4 different people in charge of HR in 18 months!

4. There is a clear hiring bias towards Asian/Asian British, which is only 18% of the population of London (see Wikipedia). Positive discrimination suits me fine, but the fact that we recruit primarily from only 18% of the population means that there’s only an 18% chance of hiring the best person for the job. As a result we have a lot of very incompetent people. Ironically, at mid-to-senior level we pay above average, which means that the incompetents won’t move on, so we seem to be a sort of idiot trap. At some point we’ll reach peak idiot and the company will implode.

5. Everyone’s desktop background is set by marketing, but it’s rubbish. We had a bright-blue Happy New Year background until April and then we got a dull gray thing that talks about EBITDA. Who below senior management knows or cares what EBITDA is? Plus, the usual branded bright blue background is migraine-inducing and you can’t easily see your desktop icons. You’re not allowed to change your own desktop background. There's a Dilbert comic about this somewhere.

6. They took away the sugar from the tea-making facilities and replaced it with some nasty chemical that leaves an aftertaste. We now bring in our own sugar and keep it in our desk drawers because the nasty chemical has been linked to cancer.

7. Senior management told budget-holders that their purchasing decisions would be second-guessed for “fiscal responsibility” and if not approved, the person would be subject to disciplinary action. Cue almost immediate exodus of the best managers.

8. We like to give you a company phone with a PAYG SIM, which then runs out of credit at the wrong moment. The more important the call you need to make, the less likely you'll have credit.

9. We’re right in the Square Mile with the Bankers and Brokers. You’ll want to wash that stuff off you when you get home.

10. Budget-slashing happens with depressing regularity, apart from whole teams getting decimated, even previously approved projects suddenly stall or evaporate without notice, or communication as to why.

11. I find it funny that many of the positive reviews here include the expression “fast-moving”. The reason for apparent fast movement is the lack of leadership, lack of strategy and constant lurching from one self-induced crisis to the next. Headless chickens are “fast-moving”, at least until they die.

12. If it really is your life’s ambition to work here and you’re not a tragic incompetent, wait until the problems are sorted out.

Advice to Management

1. Be more discriminating about who you hire and who you keep. Train your hiring managers to interview properly. End the idiot-trap.

2. Carry out a staff survey to gauge morale, engagement, etc. Publish the results and act on them, then survey again 6 months later and tell us all how you did.

3. Get rid of the friend-of-the-founder culture. It’s incredibly disingenuous, depresses morale and stifles innovation.

4. Communicate the company strategy clearly and to everyone.

4a. Have a company strategy.

5. Stop trying to be everything to everyone. We do really good things pretty well in a small number of areas, why do we need to a lot of things poorly?

6. Why do we need a large office bang in the middle of the Square Mile/City of London at £50 per month per square foot? Why not move a few miles west and knock 30% off the rent?

7. Put back the sugar. If I want to work for an organisation that gets involved in my personal health, I’ll work for the NHS.

8. Practice what you preach. The company values aren't worth the price of the motivational posters if you don't actually apply them from the top down.

9. Please stop randomly repeating the word "change" at us, then proceeding to do the same stuff you did before.

"Please dont join lebara digital chennai , No job guarantee"

Former Contractor - Motion Graphic Designer in Chennai (India)
    Former Contractor - Motion Graphic Designer in Chennai (India)

I worked at Lebara as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

no challenging jobs there,
    so u can simply spend time,
    you no need to learn new thing,
    u will forget all softwares which u have learned earlier,
    so ur mind get more space.

Cons

Saturday have office, extended working timing, u will get timesheet need to fill ideal time in it,
    no pf, no medical benefits, only u will get salary unless nothing, very silent atmosphere,
    no job guarantee, with short notice period, u don't believe me still contact previous employee in linkedin

Advice to Management

lebaraplay platform is a commercial thing , not corporate thing u should appoint talented people further

"avoid"

Former Employee - Marketing in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Marketing in London, England (UK)

Pros

it used to be fun atmospherics but now more than half employees were fired - from having 3 floors of employees to only one..

Cons

The place that was once proud of being the best call centre in Europe is now based in India. Legal cases with Lyca which is embarrassing. No one is proud to work there. All current employees know that this company is going down and people are seeking jobs elsewhere.

Advice to Management

as far as I know they are all being made redundant

"Shocking is not the right word"

Former Employee - IT Support Technician in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - IT Support Technician in London, England (UK)

Pros

Leaving, Some people were nice, Company losing money

Cons

Office Politics, Hygiene, ethics, ethos, below human standards, writing fake reviews on this site to bring ratings up, I know this because we had to set up the account. CEO verbally abusive towards colleagues. Treat their staff so badly it's unbelievable. Constant change of staff due to lack of process and direction. Mis-selling roles to professionals. IT Infrastructure as whole whole is dated and backwards. Lebara would on purpose not pay it's suppliers for it's services e.g. Microsoft O365. The IT Infrastructure team did not have a clue how to run their department. Felt embarrassed towards the end of being there. Majority of the work is now being outsourced. No future, No hope, Dont bother. Real segregation in the company. Avoid at all costs. HR do not have a clue what is going on and please do not bother replying to this to make the company look good.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your staff like third rate animals

"Lebara Play"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Lebara full-time

Pros

Great colleagues. Free fruit. Great location.

Cons

Awful work environment. You can guarantee that whatever is decided today will be changed three days later (including the whole direction of the product).

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.