Lee County Library System Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A good starting job"

I have been working at Lee County Library System part-time

Pros

Friendly, professional, and competent staff.

Cons

Not much room for advancement.

2. "Okay place to get experience"

I have been working at Lee County Library System full-time

Pros

* Decent benefits
    * Coworkers are nice
    * Good place to get experience

Cons

*High turnover rate
    * Always being watched
    * Bad communication
    * Awful pay
    * Experience will vary on which location you work at

3. "Library Assistant"

Former Employee - Library Assistant in Albany, GA
    Former Employee - Library Assistant in Albany, GA

I worked at Lee County Library System part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, caring and fun co-workers.

Cons

Low pay and no chance for advancement.

Advice to Management

All in all, management was great.

4. "Library Assistant"

Former Employee - Library Assistant in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Library Assistant in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Lee County Library System (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work if you're into public service. I loved assisting library patrons, and most staff were nice to me.

Cons

During the course of my sixteen years service, I applied for higher positions two dozen times and didn't get it. I never understood the why and what behind it since others with less experience and degree level were all promoted. For me, it was time to leave and seek other opportunities.

Advice to Management

When you spot talent, dedication, and perseverance, try to keep it in your organization.

"Think Twice"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Lee County Library System full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits - reasonably good forced retirement plan and medical.

Cons

This has to be the most negative and oppressive work environment I have ever experienced. I was bullied, belittled and bossed around to the point I thought I was worthless. And I was not the only one that felt that way. Constantly under surveillance (think police state) and spied on.

As advice to others, I would only work here unless there was no other alternative and give myself 6 months max.

Advice to Management

Quit playing favorites and stabbing people in the back. Your dismissive attitudes towards real issues don't help either.

6. "Great job with good salary"

Current Employee - Library Assistant in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Lee County Library System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Predictability, very little variety to schedule and duties, great chance to use people skills.

Cons

Daily job functions get routine, but colorful patrons help mix things up! County can decide to move you to another branch with no input from you, can get worrisome when changes occur.

Advice to Management

Cutbacks always create stress, so keep checking in on employees to keep morale up.

"OK place to work if you don't mind being a robot."

Current Employee - Library Assistant in Fort Myers, FL

Pros

As of right now, health benefits are excellent; however, severe budget cuts in the last couple of years could altar that in the future.
    You provide an excellent service to the community; most staff and patrons are exceptionally nice and appreciate you.

Cons

No raises for 3 years, and none expected in future; 5 furlough days planned for this fiscal year (they have allowed those with vacation time to use that in lieu of no pay).
    Focus is on building new libraries, renovating old ones, and installation of automated equipment and Self Check machines instead of retaining employees or hiring new ones. 'They' say the installation of the machines will not cut jobs, but the evidence is to the contrary; lost jobs due to the economy will not likely return in future because the machines will have alleviated the need for them.
    If you're unlucky enough to be under a 'bad' supervisor, your life will be miserable; upper management thinks any kind of whining and complaining is just that, instead of realizing that they might have a VALID complaint and a solution, but it's simply dismissed and all staff are instruction not to say anything negative about supervisors. We are all given detailed evaluations 4 times a year; and they are getting more and more detailed and micro-managed; the feeling is that you cannot even go to the restroom without permission.
    There is also A LOT of inefficiency, and it's usually because of poor scheduling and planning on management part - it also seems counterproductive not just as a staff member, but as a tax payer!

Advice to Management

Read and implement some of the advice given in the many leadership materials available at the library! Micro-managing does not work, don't punish all staff for the inadequacies of the few (or yourselves for that matter); most employees want to do a good job and go above and beyond what is required of them, recognize and reward them, they might be able to tolerate the roadblocks you put in their way.

"Great staff!"

Current Employee - Library Associate
    Current Employee - Library Associate

Pros

Other staff members are supportive, the atmosphere is that of a family within most libraries. There are fewer training opportunities available because of budget cuts, but they still encourage you to expand your knowledge. Because of budget constraints there are few openings, but you are encouraged to advance your career. Insurance benefits are great for full time employees.

Cons

This is a government agency, with lower property values there is less money for all county departments, this has meant furlough days and an increase in insurance premiums. Upper management does not always seem to understand the stress in each library. This is due to having to provide more services to more people with fewer staff.

Advice to Management

Spend time in each branch to see the needs of both staff and patrons. Communicate better with staff about what the budget.