Lee Enterprises Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Lee Enterprises Chairman, President and CEO Mary E. Junck
Mary E. Junck

Pros
  • Many nice and friendly people made the work environment enjoyable and the pay was fair for the area (but low compared to similar jobs in other cities) (in 9 reviews)

• Great co-workers, decent commission plan (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Nearly no raises in many years and when there have been it's been like 2 percent (in 11 reviews)

• Upper Management out of touch with reality (in 7 reviews)

1. "Rats on a sinking ship"

I have been working at Lee Enterprises full-time

Pros

The property I worked at had a great team, loved the people I worked with. We worked hard, served our customers and offered a complete portfolio of business solutions to our clients.

Cons

Corporate reporting and directives feels like panic mode. New products are great, requiring that every customer participate in them is unreal.

2. "Customer Support Specialist"

I worked at Lee Enterprises full-time

Pros

Good benefits. Fun environment.

Cons

Company seemed to be unorganized.

3. "Media Sales"

Pros

Flexible work schedule, strong coworkers

Cons

Newspaper Business is struggling, sales way down

Advice to Management

Best of luck

5. "News editor"

Pros

Varied and exciting work atmosphere. Never boring,

Cons

Single-minded focus on maintaining unrealistic profit margin has reduced quality of product.

Advice to Management

The end user, not shareholders, should be primary concern. Refocus on them and the profits will come.

6. "Senior Advertising Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Missoula, MT
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Missoula, MT

I have been working at Lee Enterprises (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits and a flexible schedule

Cons

Management and Limited Growth Opportunity

7. "Media sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Lee Enterprises full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's very hard to find a pro for this company. If you accept an offer good luck!

Beware of the interviewer "selling" you this job vs telling you information about the position & company.

Cons

The newspaper already as the negative reputation of being slow and out of date. So it makes it even worse when our seasonal sales initiatives are delayed and we try to connect to costumers who have already been contacted and spent money with our competition. Their is no real plan of action.

We are late on everything. The building doesn't even have wifi.

Advice to Management

Go on a leadership retreat program and really focus on your team/company goal. Then develop a plan on how you expect you team to work together to achieve the goal. We have no teamwork.

8. "Difficult, frustrating working environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, NE

I worked at Lee Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Local office, 5 minute commute was great. Small town newspaper is a noble endeavor - customers value it if it is done well. It can truly bind the community together.

Cons

Understaffed. Low Pay. Huge amount of employee turnover which is incredibly draining. So many rules and regulations. The product is complex, constantly changing. Very fast paced environment, lots of pressure. The industry is moving to online. Small town customers still expect a great product on their doorstep every morning, with great service at a great price. It's a daunting task. Management does not understand its small town customers and is not meeting their needs. Employees do their best in a difficult situation, inevitably burn out and move on.

Advice to Management

Look at the business from the viewpoint of the small town customer. Prioritize marketing plans and consistently focus only on the best. If you can't deliver a satisfactory product at a satisfactory price, it's time to divest.

9. "Advertising Director"

I worked at Lee Enterprises full-time

Pros

They have access to good resources for helping clients. I worked with some great sales associates and employees. They try to be forward thinking when it comes to technology.

Cons

Their attempts to be forward thinking fall short in many respects as they tend to not listen to the people on the "front lines." They usually think one way and are unrealistic in some of their viewpoints. They frequently classify all markets the same... i.e. if it works in New York City it will work in Medford, Oregon.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people on the front lines more. Listen to your clients better. Make decisions that encourage employees and management to use their intellect to grow the company instead of stifling their creative juices by imposing your ideas that may or may not be applicable in all regions.

"Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Digital Sales Executive in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Digital Sales Executive in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Lee Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The regular incentive programs helped motivate some employees

Cons

The company is to slow to adopt a strategy that embraces the technological changes in the advertising industry. It is a sinking ship that is negatively leveraged and suffers from annual declines in revenue. Management encourages a work environment and ethic that destroys synergy among sales reps. There are also too many products for which reps are responsible to sell but have inadequate training to sell.

11. "Standard Job"

Current Employee - Page Designer in Munster, IN
    Current Employee - Page Designer in Munster, IN

I have been working at Lee Enterprises full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I took this job to help me break into the journalism industry. So far so good, this is a pretty standard job. You show up, design pages and that's the end of it. Lee own a lot of papers, they have a solid internal job board. Everyone I have met has been nice for the most part.

Cons

Irregular schedule, often asked to work overtime. I live in Chicago and commute to Munster, it's a pretty rough drive when there is traffic. You have to live with the night hours, which can really put a damper on your social life.

Advice to Management

Pay people more in order to avoid lack of available people to work.