Lee Enterprises Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Lee Enterprises Chairman, President and CEO Mary E. Junck
Mary E. Junck

Pros
  • Many nice and friendly people made the work environment enjoyable and the pay was fair for the area (but low compared to similar jobs in other cities) (in 10 reviews)

• Great co-workers, decent commission plan (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Nearly no raises in many years and when there have been it's been like 2 percent (in 13 reviews)

• Upper Management out of touch with reality (in 7 reviews)

"Newspaper"

Former Employee - Nebraska in Fremont, NE
    Former Employee - Nebraska in Fremont, NE

Pros

enjoyed working outdoors,and meeting people

Cons

to much ware and tear on vehicle

"Good Training and Benefits, not so good pay"

Current Employee - Oregon in Coos Bay, OR
    Current Employee - Oregon in Coos Bay, OR

I have been working at Lee Enterprises full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits
    Small Office Enterprises
    Great Training program

Cons

My manager is too hands on for me. Corporate Communication is not good. One side of the office doesn't know what the other side does. too much personal politics

"Great Environment and Helpful People"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Munster, IN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Munster, IN

I have been working at Lee Enterprises part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong training helps you learn the ropes Helpful supervisors are there if you need any questions answered. Any information about the multiple newspapers is available on the computer, so memorizing isn't a requirement. You can always look up what you need to know. Most employees have been there several years (one for 40!)

Cons

Customers can be very rude and demanding. Hours can be long, and you have to stare at two computer screens your entire shift. It can be uncomfortable after a few hours - like any desk job.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! I've felt comfortable since I started, and I believe the networking and communication here is very clear and concise.

"The people who work here care"

Current Employee - Reporter in Longview, WA
    Current Employee - Reporter in Longview, WA

I have been working at Lee Enterprises full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Strong community ties, loyal readership, commitment to accuracy, wins awards every year, and the staff cares about their work and each other. Good health benefits & 401K.

Cons

Not everyone who leaves is replaced, and those who are replaced aren't replaced very quickly. No raises in years.

Advice to Management

Raises would lift morale and make it easier to hire quality staff that will stay longer. Hire an assistant city editor.

"Great coworkers, great customer service, poor management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longview, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longview, WA

I worked at Lee Enterprises full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Comparable pay for entry level employees, friendly staff, active in the community.

Cons

No raises for years - pay freeze. Working late when sales staff missed deadlines and production staff had to stay after-hours to get everything done. Sales Staff got commission (aka a reward for missing a deadline) production team (graphics, prepress, printing staff, circulation, carriers) got longer hours with no reward. No overtime. No employee incentive program, little to no training program for new employees, slow on equipment upgrades. High turnover rate, especially in circulation, sales staff and carriers.

Advice to Management

Employee incentives for all staff, not just sales team. Manager training.

"Five years at corporate"

Former Employee - Director in Davenport, IA
    Former Employee - Director in Davenport, IA

I worked at Lee Enterprises full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great CEO. Friendly people. Commitment to quality. Excellent communications.

Cons

Short-sighted middle management. Slow transformation.

"Good people trying hard in a tough industry"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Chippewa Falls, WI
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Chippewa Falls, WI

Pros

The company is full of people who really seem to care about their work - professional journalists. They are dedicated to the idea of spreading news for the good of the community knowledge. Most people truly seem to work hard every day.

Cons

The company doesn't (or can't) offer competitive salary to keep the high talent people they need to turn things around.

9. "I had a good experience - many factors can determine if you do, too"

Former Employee - Reporter in Central Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Reporter in Central Valley, CA

Pros

Good place to start. I had a nice amount of independence and was trusted to do my work well. From what I have heard vaguely from others in the field, Lee is one of the "less evil" companies. The benefits were excellent, even if the salary was low. It was as low-pressure of an atmosphere as you could expect from a newspaper.

Cons

Low pay, a lot of variance depending on what office you worked in. It could really change the way your work-day looked, even if the next office is ten or twenty minutes away. The variables could include what your boss is like, what your coworkers are like, how the office is set up, what geographical area you cover, and if you get on someone's bad side or good side - which would seem to apply at any company. That is meant more as a caveat. Working in a small office means conflicts are more pronounced. The building was kind of old and had rats.

Advice to Management

I didn't know enough about how "senior management" ran things to really give them advice. I had no problems with them, but I didn't see them much on a day-to-day basis. From what I've heard from other people in general (outside the company), not seeing senior management on a day-to-day basis isn't always a bad thing.

"Online Digital Specialist"

Pros

Pay and benefits were decent. Moved up fairly quickly based on performance and abilities. Mostly friendly, helpful atmosphere. Position itself was enjoyable.

Cons

Commission for my position was based upon things I could not control such as other people's success in sales, which meant if a less successful sales person was hired my income would drop. I basically had to teach myself everything, which wasn't so bad for me because I am motivated in that aspect but would be hard for someone who may need more direct training.

"It pays the bills"

I have been working at Lee Enterprises part-time

Pros

Retention commission can nearly double your paycheck, relaxed work environment, fast paced, leadership does really help with training and any questions you may have while taking calls, no cold calling.

Cons

strict attendance policy, breaks and lunches can get put on hold if the call volume gets too high, more information to assist customers