Lee Tilford Agency Reviews | Glassdoor

Anthony Lee Tilford

1. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Charleston, SC

Pros

Tilford is a family environment first and foremost. The owner cultivates an atmosphere of family with everything he does. He is very involved and genuinely cares about the happiness of his employees and shows it often. I learned and grew more than I can explain here over my time at Lee Tilford. I see Tony Tilford (the owner) as a mentor and as family. He was very good to me and I cant recommend this agency enough.

People may read this and think it is fake, or I was put up to it, or any of those thoughts when you read a "too good to be true" review, but all I can tell you is that everything here is accurate and honest.

There is never a Friday you'll stay past 4:30. In fact, it is not rare that you'll be on your way to happy hour, a movie, or just home even earlier. You'll head to a movie at Noon or take a group outing to the bowling alley. This is an agency where they work hard and play hard. Expectations are high, and you will know if they are not being met, but isn't that how it should be?

The staff is filled with bright, funny, cutting edge minds. They care about each other, and they work to produce great work everyday. I was there for around 5 years and saw good times and, if I'm honest, difficult times. That said, this agency really hit its stride over the last two years. Employees are happy,the work is great, everyone there gets along, and new hires are welcomed.

Breakfast is provided in the form of tacos, or bagels or breakfast sandwiches or something every day.

The pay is at or above anywhere else in Austin. This agency is not afraid to pay talent and to do what they have to to keep talent.

I could go on and on, but I think you get the picture...Definitely check them out. I only left because I moved to SC to be closer to my family. If not for that, I'd still be there. I miss it more than I would have expected.

Cons

This is probably different for every position. As an AE, it was at times difficult to manage the workload and stay as on top of things as I would have liked. The stress level could be higher than I would have liked, but this i9s advertising and if you don't handle stress well it may not be for you. The pace is so fast, and the agency is always working towards getting more and more ahead so that they can provide the best work possible. Getting ahead is always a challenge in the ad world and Tilford is no different. I will say that processes being implemented as I was leaving are sure to help work flow and keep the stress level in a manageable range.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Don't work too hard, and keep the breakfast tacos coming. :)

2. "Established agency which does killer work for great clients."

Current Employee - Art Director in Austin, TX

I have been working at Lee Tilford Agency full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Been in business for nearly 40 years, in itself a great achievement
    - Smart and kind people, solid accounts, options for movement across departments
- Big believer in true strategy
    - Pushes concepts past inception, discovering only the best solutions

Cons

- More collaboration across the agency

- Sometimes goes with safe creative work

Advice to Management

Look to foster creative staff through local and national creative groups, creative events and competitions.

3. "Great people and great opportunities!"

I have been working at Lee Tilford Agency full-time

Pros

Owner cares about and takes care of his employees. As an employee I feel that my work is valued not only by my boss but also by my colleagues. This is a great group of people who work well together and care about the work they are doing. I feel like I am getting so many more opportunities here than I would have gotten at a larger agency. Work/life balance is great. We typically get out early on Fridays, and the life you have outside of the office is respected.

Cons

Every day is a full day. We work incredibly hard during work hours, but I guess that's what allows us to have a life outside of the office.

Advice to Management

Keep the tacos coming :)

"Former Employee"

Former Employee - Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Lee Tilford Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food, drinks and close to banking. Non-family employees are great people and good friends.

Cons

Micro-managing owner who gives unqualified family members jobs. Prepare to be part of the endless, revolving stream of employees. They will love you when you start for very little money because you need a job. Your pay will be increased to entice you to put up with and ignore the public humiliation and mis-treatment you must endure from the ill-mannered management. Once another victim has been located to take your job, you are out. And out in a hurry. I have seen many injustices against employees happen here. Any positive review of this place was undoubtedly submitted by either a family member, or an employee fearful of losing his job.This place is pure evil.

Advice to Management

none.

5. "Great people, great environment"

Former Employee - Art Director in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Art Director in Austin, TX

I worked at Lee Tilford Agency full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Great work/life balance; we usually got off work at 4:30pm on Fridays
    * Hilarious and intelligent co-workers
    * Strong management
    * Great place to learn
    * Great respect for LTA clients; owner treats every dollar like it's his own. It's very refreshing!
    * Healthy snacks and a fridge filled with drinks!
    * Environment fosters creativity and productivity
    * Best design programs and computers

Cons

* Can be chaotic at times....but that's advertising, folks!

"Hard"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Good location. Nice co-workers. Occasionally there is free breakfast.

Cons

Rude management. Does not care about employees' professional careers or personal feelings.

Advice to Management

Be more respectful of the people who work for you. They are there to keep you in business, so treat them well.

7. "A gratifying place to learn alot about our industry"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

This place always has the latest technology and software, and they recently re decorated the office with new furniture which looks great. Being involved with a small team on day to day client jobs really gets you immersed in the work and how things get done. You learn alot with hands on responsibility like this. And you are held accountable for staying on track and making things happen. The pay has been fair for the level of decision making and responsibilities I've been given. My personal life is always expected, and unlike other ad shops we work a 40 hour work week. So when we're here, we're working, and when we go home, work stays at the office (which is nice having 2 kids).

Cons

Organization can go by the wayside sometimes, but deadlines are always met one way or another. So things can get a little crazy. But if you plan ahead and don't procrastinate, it can be handled with minimal stress when the hammer drops.

Advice to Management

Keep the efforts on organization coming, and implement them. It will make everyone's job even more pleasurable : )

8. "Positive Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

The team at the Lee Tilford Agency maintain focus and hard work during the busy business week. The payoff is an efficient environment that works extremely well together accomplishing goals and successes for the agency's clients. It's a comfortable environment that's inviting and cozy. Opinions and ideas are welcomed and always encouraged. Team work is the core of this outfit, while small in size - easily big in capabilities and getting strong results. Often it's a casual feeling in the agency but always on point. I find the environment worthy of great place to work.

Cons

Schedules can get crossed, but Improvements and upgrades are constantly happening to improve the workflow. It's a constant evolution of streamlining work, but efforts are constantly put forth to help smooth out any wrinkles.

Advice to Management

Highly appreciative of the oppurtunity I've been given and thankful for the effective work environment as well as working with so many wonderful people.

9. "A Rewarding Experience"

Current Employee - Art Director in Austin, TX

Pros

I believe as with most jobs, you get out of it what you put in it, and I have found my experience here very rewarding. Management welcomes and listens to my input, and makes efforts to let me know I am appreciated. I have been given great opportunity for growth here and can see vast improvements in my own work since I have been here. My personal schedule and family life is respected more than I could expect elsewhere. There is a lot of great creative energy in our current team which helps make work fun. The environment is casual, open and easy going, jeans are the typical daily uniform.

Cons

Office environment design is not currently optimizing our space. I am looking forward to the upcoming redesign of our office space early in the new year.

Advice to Management

Thanks for being open to new ideas and for the honest feedback. I appreciate the opportunities I have had at Lee Tilford so far.

10. "Great place to work that provided valuable experience."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Friendly staff and management, large office and excellent equipment and software, great salary and benefits, very satisfied clients who are treated well

Cons

I wasn't able to work from home, which was the only real downside. I was pleased with the experience overall and only left because my wife got a job in another city.

Advice to Management

This was a great place to work, thank you for the opportunity. I would recommend your office to others looking for work in Austin.