Legacy Community Health Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Katy Caldwell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good company to work for"

I have been working at Legacy Community Health Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Freedom to be who you are.
    Great benefits and PTO.

Cons

Hard to move up unless you know someone.

Advice to Management

Improve communication with staff.
    Have workflows in place for every facility.

2. "Okay"

Former Employee - Billing in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Billing in Houston, TX

I worked at Legacy Community Health Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Open minded place

Cons

Management

3. "Manager/ Corporate office"

I worked at Legacy Community Health Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Depending one what department/team you work for and with, depends on how you are viewed and elevated. I worked with a team that was encouraging, engaging and if your ideas were heard. Processes are defined whether or not people follow through with the outlines.
    If you have an idea, it's heard and I was lucky to be under two managers who were both professional, inspiration and great leaders.

If you want to do good work, gain a skill set, but know you won't advance in your career, legacy is great foundation to build upon.

Legacy has a great mission and does great for the community not only at a city level but a state one as well.

Cons

Leadership, on the csuite and VP level can be horrendous. It doesn't take long to figure out people in leadership are only there because of who they know and not for how well they manage or lead a team. CEO, while an outstanding leader in the health care world, is not a leader of her employees. She has favorite people, departments and it's obvious. While sharing the same space with her for two years, never engaged in conversation. And when she wants something from a certain department will ask another department to get it from them since she stays close to her friends, not her employees. This not how one leads their people, it's the exact opposite. She also isn't afraid to yell at assistants, and other employees in public if she's having a meltdown. Fear is how she leads, and in my book, thats exactly how you get people to leave.

It's evident what departments are valued and which ones are not.

Advice to Management

Leadership should be at all levels and please don't keep managers/VPs on board because they have been there for x amount of years.

It's clear in growing quickly, while beneficial for the organization, strained a lot of training and how effective leadership should be growing their teams.
    Remember to value your people, and know they want to grow their careers as well. If there is no value in personal growth people will move on.

"Frequent turnovers"

I worked at Legacy Community Health Services full-time

Pros

Excellent Benefits; Autonomy; Serving indigent patients

Cons

Poor communication and planning; very frequent manager/director turnovers; Frequent transition of leadership

Advice to Management

Improve communication and planning

"40 Hours Pay for 70 Hours Work"

I worked at Legacy Community Health Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The salary is above average and there is a bonus structure if targets are met.
    - Most co-workers are wonderful to work with and the clinics are clean, safe, and comfortable.

Cons

1) In 2016 someone in HR provided a hacker with a PDF of every employees' W2, and Legacy didn't act on it until after I found out. Basically some employee in HR got an email that said, "Hi, I'm the CEO of Legacy, please email me every employees' W2. xoxo Mr. CEO." and she dutifully emailed the hacker over 300 W2s. Made a HUGE hassle for a lot of people. Legacy, in response; they offered the employees "1 year of free credit monitoring." Wholly inadequate. It should have been 5-years, minimum + credit repair.
    2) They have these mandatory meetings that clinicians must attend, but then require the clinicians to 'make up' that time afterwards!
    3) Meetings about Meetings: Speaking of meetings, 80% of these mandatory meetings are useless and could easily be handled with an emailed PowerPoint presentation
    4) Psychologists are expected to work on their own time. (yes, expected). Patients are scheduled with inadequate report-writing time. I was given 6 hours of report writing time each week, and then scheduled with 6 or 7 evaluations per week. Each evaluation requires at-least 4 hours of scoring & report writing... so you do the math. Where do you think the time comes from? Right! I have to work at home on my own time to keep up with the patient load. I was literally working 7 days a week: 3 hours each night after I got home, and then 6 hours on both Saturday and Sunday.
    5) Don't bother telling management that you shouldn't have to work from home to complete Legacy's work. The response I got (repeatedly) was, "Well I put in more hours than I'm paid for too."
    6) Legacy employees rarely return emails or voicemails. I've never worked in an environment where it's the norm to ignore someone's emails or voicemails but at Legacy it's common, whether it's HR, Medical Records, Finance, or the mail room.
    7) Reimbursement of Expenses can take up-to 2 months. If you purchase something for business use Legacy takes approximately 2 months to pay you back. I attended a conference and my supervisor approved the expenses immediately but it took Legacy an additional 7 weeks to issue me my reimbursement check. During that time I paid interest on my credit card and they, of course, refused to reimburse me for that interest.
    8) Keeping Offices Open during Flooding. Legacy states they use HISD as the determiner as to when to close the offices due to weather. Well, in January 2017 there was a sudden storm which flooded most of the highways around Houston. HISD issued a "late start" message saying classes would start at 11 am. By policy that means that Legacy should have done the same, but instead they sent out a text stating, "We know HISD is starting late, but we're ignoring that and opening at our usual time. Oh, BTW, if you can't make it in because of flooding you have to use your PTO." It ended up taking me 2 hours to make it into the office... and only a few patients showed up because (surprise, surprise) the roads were flooded!
    9) One of the perks of working at Legacy is supposed to be free health care at their clinics. Good luck getting an appointment though. Appointment requests take 2 months for them to respond. Two months! (see #6 above)
    10) Medical Records constantly loses patient files. This is disturbing, actually. I've had numerous medical records, patient authorization forms, and other medical documents get lost by Medical Records. Of course, if you call them to ask where a record is they won't respond to emails or phone calls (See #6 Above).
    11) Electronic equipment is very unreliable. IT is constantly pushing patches and policy updates that completely render your laptop unusable. It's impossible to perform an evaluation on a patient when they PC you must use keeps crashing. Making matters worse, some clinics don't have on-site IT support.
    12) Being required to perform functions outside of my job duties. For example, I was required to supervise a psychiatry resident even though that is not in my job description and was not given any additional resources (such as time) to accomplish the task.
    13) Mailroom is also very slow. I've received patient authorization forms that have the envelope stamped that it was received in the mailroom 10 days before it actually appears at my office. That means it took 10 days to go 80 feet. That is literally 10-times slower than a snail (which travels 82 ft in 1 day).

Advice to Management

Legacy will not be able to attract, let alone retain, professionals unless they immediately address these key issues:
    - Burnout. Psychologists are leaving because of the complete lack of work/life balance... and the lack of management interest in addressing it.
    - Provide adequate report-writing time. The professional standard ratio is 1:4 - For every 1 hour of testing a psychologist requires 4 hours of scoring and report-writing time. Unlike TCH, Legacy does not have psychometricians who do the testing, so Legacy has to stop using TCH (which is a teaching hospital) as the benchmark for how long it takes to complete an evaluation. 1:4 is appropriate and is standard across the profession.
    - Address the "ignore your colleagues" culture. There's no excuse to receive no reply from a colleague.
    - Address Medical Records losing patient files. Seriously, this is a significant HIPAA violation.
    - Fix the electronic equipment issues. The laptops are wholly unreliable. Start with a more consistent IT policy, and definitely make sure that more than 4 people in IT know what they're doing.

"Referral Coordinator"

Former Employee - Referral Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Referral Coordinator in Houston, TX

I worked at Legacy Community Health Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Legacy provided PTO,medical benefit,and 401K,is Monday thru Friday flexiable hours.

Cons

The location are far they won't relocate you and you never moved on to other positions.

"Contact Center Location was rough"

Former Employee - Contact Center Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Contact Center Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at Legacy Community Health Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can pay for onsite gym, and better parking at the corporate drive location,

Cons

Lots of workload you need to know KIPP, all of their locations, confirm appointments between calls, and assist in scheduling, also some of the staff may contact you in an unprofessional manner as you are basically an off-site receptionist for all of the departments, also be warned the receptionist will have new clients call you to register rather than actually do that themselves even if they are physically in the clinic. You have to explain your call times on a sheet of paper if it goes over a set time frame. In summary you are essentially working in a matrix management style while being very close to the span of control and you will feel it regularly.

"Behavior Health Representative"

I worked at Legacy Community Health Services full-time

Pros

Great office environment, offers room for advancement.

Cons

Can sometimes micro-manage, needs a bit more organization between some departments.

"Legacy does great work for patients, not for employees"

Current Employee - Care Team Assistant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Care Team Assistant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Legacy Community Health Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Legacy does amazing work for the low income HIV and Trans community by providing free or low-cost services to people who otherwise, wouldn't be able to get this treatment.

Cons

There isn't much room for growth, or employee support from management. Also, the communication from management is almost non existent.

Advice to Management

Communicate changes or improvements to employees.

"Nutrition Coordinator"

Current Employee - Nutrition Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Nutrition Coordinator in Houston, TX

I have been working at Legacy Community Health Services (More than a year)

Pros

Patients can be reached from all over the city, and the Legacy team continues to provide excellent services to each of them along the way. The Legacy BRAND is increasingly stronger with every day. As new locations emerge and more services can be performed, the Legacy team is never hindered with a lack of improvement. There is a great team portion for many different facets like: Behavioral Health; Public Health Education; Nutrition Services; Pediatric Help; Vaccinations; Optometry
    These are just a portion of the services provided with my location, and there is never a question as to what new service and the quality of such will be.

Cons

It is quite difficult to get each and every patient to make their appointments, and it is quite disheartening when we are unable to provide for those who are absent.

Advice to Management

Please continue to grow and help to provide a better life for all.