Legacy Health Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Legacy Health President & CEO George J. Brown
George J. Brown

Pros
  • Another great characteristic is the work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Stable company, good benefits, growing and moving forward (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Employees that are on the front lines actually caring for patients are continually expected to do more with less (in 6 reviews)

• Paid time off is limited to when your respective doctor wants to take their vacations (in 5 reviews)

1. "chef"

Former Employee - Chef in Tualatin, OR
    Former Employee - Chef in Tualatin, OR

I worked at Legacy Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

benefits and pay working conditions

Cons

management, training of employees,food handling

Advice to Management

know the job your in charge of,don't be social boss be in charge and treat everyone equal and not down play experience

"Unmet Expectations"

Current Contractor - Food Service Worker in Salmon Creek, WA
    Current Contractor - Food Service Worker in Salmon Creek, WA

I have been working at Legacy Health as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Many of the staff at Legacy hospitals are wonderful, caring, and intelligent people, and the main perk of this job has been in getting to know them.

Cons

Unfortunately, Legacy seems to be a very dangerous and frightening place to work, especially for supplemental/contract employees. In my case, I am not qualified to receive employer-based health insurance from the company because I am of supplemental status, despite how I have wished to become a regular and positioned employee for a long time. Because I make about $13 an hour, I don't qualify for medicaid, but can't currently afford what is available in the health-insurance market, thus I am uninsured. This is particularly harrowing since hospitals are known to be places where many injuries occur. According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), hospitals feature more injuries and illnesses per year than construction and manufacturing fields. By working at Legacy, low-wage supplemental/ contract workers are putting themselves at a tremendous risk for serious illnesses and the enormous financial burdens that can come from being uninsured. After talking with HR, I was told that even if I showed up to every shift on time and worked hard, Legacy was under no obligation to give me a position with benefits. Now, the only way I can hope to get health insurance while working at Legacy is to somehow find another job with benefits somewhere else, or hope to get demoted further so I can be covered by Medicaid. This is a serious issue that no one I've spoken to so far seems to care about.

Advice to Management

Stay true to your values and prove yourselves to be good stewards of your resources, including your employees. Offer healthcare options to all of your employees, including affordable options to supplemental and contract staff. Please put the "care" back in "healthcare," rather than take advantage of corporate loopholes that allow you to not offer healthcare to employees who may even be working 40 hours a week or more due to technicalities of a strictly nominal nature. Thank you.

"CNA"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Bernardino, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Bernardino, CA

I worked at Legacy Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None. None. None. None. None.

Cons

They treat you like dirt, work you to death and don't pay you well or offer any benefits.

Advice to Management

Develop people skills.

"Very difficult company to work for"

Current Employee - Healthcare Provider in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Healthcare Provider in Portland, OR

I have been working at Legacy Health full-time

Pros

Employees are nice to work with
    Patients are nice
    Laboratory services are good

Cons

Very regimented
    Difficult administration communications
    Poor communication

Advice to Management

The management is very anti-health care provider

"Very Difficult to Move Up in this company"

Current Employee - Emergency Department in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Emergency Department in Portland, OR

I have been working at Legacy Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hard to say anything positive when there is no recognition or incentive or room to grow no matter your performance.

Cons

Nothing is based on performance and everyone is paid a 3% annual increase. There is no reward system and people only care about the weekend. People live by the clock and when they will go home. Very little encouragement from managers and pay is low so employees don't try to care about each other. People complain about the littlest things to their office managers about each other, and this is more of a child's school than a pro career environment. People have no motivation and are burnt out, patient care has gone down and cost have gone up as well as physician bonuses. Everyone in management thinks a pizza day will make up how employees really feel.

Advice to Management

Start paying people for their performance. Employees want to see system wide improvements and better pay. This is

"Overall politically toxic environment"

Former Employee - Physician in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Physician in Portland, OR

Pros

The Children's hospital is aesthetically pleasing. People smile when they see you. There are some staff that are not passive aggressive and really want to make it a better place to work

Cons

They are disingenuous when they say patient care comes first. It is a businesses, and the bottom line is always first. They have a habit of squeezing what they can from employees. Brilliant employees are fired because they advocate for change. Employee concerns are marginalized. Employees are not valued if they do not nod and smile. They view part time as a weakness and outwardly will voice that leaders can not work part time. The head of the children's hospital often says, "I had two nannies, and expect you to do the same." This is regardless of your status.They are known to have a high physician turn over rate, which is because when physicians see the "inside" they are fired so the organization can protect themselves.

Advice to Management

Investigate the departments that have high turnover as this is due to ineffective leadership. This applies particularly to the pediatric departments. Often employees are fired or put under the microscope if they have flexibility in thought or voice concern.

"Hostile work environment"

Former Employee - Back Office in Tualatin, OR
    Former Employee - Back Office in Tualatin, OR

I worked at Legacy Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent doctors..dedicated wonderful doctors! Great coworkers. I worked with some amazing staff there.

Cons

Terrible low level management. Benefits are marginal. Low level managers ride roughshod over employees without any redress. You will not be heard at this company. You will be worked until you can be replaced by a newer cheaper model. I would not recommend this employer unless you are looking short term for some skills training. There are much better places to work where you will be treated with respect.

Advice to Management

Listen to your front line workers when they are trying to speak with you. Make sure that HR employee reps are there for the employee, not to cover for a bad manager. Listen when employees try to tell you that they are in a hostile work environment due to manager. If you want to keep quality employees, appreciate them. If you want to be trusted, you have to be trustworthy.

"Very Hostile Workplace!"

Current Employee - Staff Nurse (RN) in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Staff Nurse (RN) in Portland, OR

I have been working at Legacy Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Serves a high volume of indigent.

Cons

Chronically understaffed and below market value pay. Managed by negative reinforcement. Terminates staff frequently in unfair labor practices. Not a happy place to work. A struggling, stressful workplace.

"No medical insurance , no PTO for 3 months, must work 7 hrs/day to qualify when they don't give you the hours"

Former Employee - COTA/L in Roxboro, NC
    Former Employee - COTA/L in Roxboro, NC

I worked at Legacy Health part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay. I had to travel for 30 miles to a po-dunk town for work

Cons

Very religious- Played Christian music during work day- Quoted the "verse of the day " from the Bible in the am- Too far to travel

Advice to Management

Begin PTO and medical insurance on day 1

"Used to be fantastic. Going downhill really fast"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Pros

Above average benefits, Above average pay rates at least in Information Technology. Very dedicated and genuinely nice colleagues (non-managerial). Flexible hours.

Cons

Terrible upper management. Complete lack of vision and foresight. Absolutely no planning. Extremely reactive and shortsighted decisions taken by upper management and the executives in the last 2 years. Recent Medicare policies are eliminating most of the funding for quality employees.

Advice to Management

Think things through. Be proactive. Have a five year strategic vision and stick to the plan. Changing directions every few months is disastrous. And above all, TRUST your employees.