Legacy Health Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Legacy Health President & CEO George J. Brown
George J. Brown

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Some flexibility with work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Stable company, good benefits, growing and moving forward (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management takes sometime to answer questions that arise in a timely manner (in 7 reviews)

• Many of the leaders within Legacy do not listen to the suggestions made by those on the front lines (in 6 reviews)

"more negative than positive"

I worked at Legacy Health full-time

Pros

The nurses are among some of the best I have worked with.

Cons

The upper level of administration is very heavy ex-military and this is evident in their approach to management. Very hierarchical and unresponsive

May 23, 2017 – Digital Marketing

We are always looking for areas of improvement and we will look at your feedback and see where we can assist.

2. "Program Manager"

I have been working at Legacy Health full-time

Pros

Pretty good health benefits. Getting to be a part of a meaningful mission.

Cons

Many of the leaders within Legacy do not listen to the suggestions made by those on the front lines. When incidents occur, it comes as a shock to them, when in reality, they were probably warned many times before that an incident could occur and choose to ignore it.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Appreciate them. You want to keep good, hard-working people. Don't push them away.

Apr 4, 2017 – Digital Marketing

Hi and thank you for this feedback. We appreciate your input and suggestions. You can provide your anonymous inputs/suggestions in MyVoice on our intranet. And thank you for your contributions to our... More

"No accountability"

I have been working at Legacy Health (More than a year)

Pros

good benefits, good co-workers

Cons

No leadership. No accountability. Poor management. Favoritism.

Nov 9, 2016 – Digital Marketing

Thank you for your candid feedback. If you see specific areas of improvement, we would love to hear about them. You can always submit such feedback on our MyVoice platform on the intranet.

"Lots of potential"

I have been working at Legacy Health full-time

Pros

The organization is growing and expanding the lines of business. The health and dental insurance is decent. The 403B matching is nice. The accessibility of leaders is good. The CEO is friendly and willing to engage staff.

Cons

Sometimes there is a resort to the "Legacy" way of things meaning unwillingness to consider fresh ideas. The bonus program for non managers should not be called a bonus because it's so low. The dynamics of HR are very pro manager and not very helpful for employee concerns.

Advice to Management

Consider the thoughts and opinions of staff. Think about ways to assist with advancement.

Sep 19, 2016 – Digital Marketing

Hello and thanks for your comments. First, let us thank you for being a Legacy Health employee. As you know, being a large organization requires time to adapt to new ideas and/or culture. We would... More

"Not so good"

I have been working at Legacy Health full-time

Pros

Legacy has an intended mission of caring for patients, employees, and visitors in a kind a loving manner regardless of your age, gender, etc.

Cons

They have the worst insurance for their employees I have ever had in my employment history. For a healthcare facility, they don't value their employees very much.

Jul 5, 2016 – Digital Marketing

Hello and thank you for your honesty. We are always looking for ways to improve our employee's experiences here at Legacy Health.
    Do you have specific suggestions you would like to recommend? We... More

"Epic Analyst"

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Portland, OR

I worked at Legacy Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunities to work with some truly Amazing people. Absolute room for growth if you know the right people to speak to and are an effective brown noser.

the surrounding area around the Lovejoy campus is truly remarkable, could spend a career wandering around Portland's northwest finding things to do after work.

Cons

For a healthcare company they sure provide shotty benefits at best. MODA the primary insurance provider will not cover any outside specialists or services, the dental is a joke too.

Sick days = your accrued Vacation time. 5 holidays off a year..

Do not expect a work/life balance once employed in the system office.
    For Epic analysts, recommend seriously weighing other options before joining the team.
    The inner office politics can turn toxic pretty quick.

Advice to Management

Better benefits, better work/life balance for analysts.

"Bi-polar organization"

Former Employee - Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Legacy Health (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, great ideals, great treatment of the underserved community. I adore their views on the underserved and how they commit to helping them. True plus!!!

Cons

Competing priorities creates a bi-polar and disorganized work culture. Employees are important and valued in their stated "mission and values"; but the actualization is not there because of their competing values of being the frontrunner in medicine coupled with their participation in most of the new govt programs are not compatible, The new regulations do not take employee/provider satisfaction into account and the new programs require more staff then Legacy will commit too. They will fail if they haven't adjusted this crucial piece...

Advice to Management

Watch out for your corporate climbers. I watched numerous mid-level managers and directors brag about how they work to "get rid of people" and witnessed a director repeatedly lie about various employees in order to have these employees, most with high tenure, get fired. A letter was written to CEO and HR about this (as was discussed at a manager/director meeting publically) and reviewed by everyone but no action was taken - not even an investigation into this director was done. Upon my departure, she was in the process of getting a 30 year employee fired because she didn't feel this employee supported her goal of advancing her reputation and career. Witnessing this continual approach to career advancement is what made me decide to leave. I truly realize that corporations will always have climbers, but the amount of cruelty in healthcare was more than I could take and stay true to my own ethics. Do no harm should apply to more than just patients...
    Also - beware of George Brown. Awesome external image, dubious intentions. Advice - do not actively participate in discussion(s) always be a doer, not a changer unless it's 100% directed and supported by him.. Creative discussion is frowned upon...

"registered nurse"

Former Employee - Intensive Care Unit Registered Nurse in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Intensive Care Unit Registered Nurse in Portland, OR

I worked at Legacy Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Level 1 trauma hospital at Emanuel. Interesting patient population to work with. Pay and benefits competitive. Great front-line nurses and doctors.

Cons

Middle management globally incompetent and unsupportive to those below them. Large impersonal system with no loyalty to long-time employees.

Advice to Management

Value your front-line staff, especially nurses as they are your direct public relations. The business' viability depends on taking care of and valuing your nurses, as they determine the quality of care of the institution and its reputation. An experienced nurse is valuable in reducing costs and delivering caring/competent patient care.

"Hopewell House outdoor maintenance"

Pros

Hopewell House is a lovely place to spend my volunteer time. I have been an employee of Legacy during my professional career as an RN. Now I volunteer there.

Cons

The grounds at Hopewell House are in a deplorable state of non-maintenance

Advice to Management

I am a hospice volunteer at Hopewell House and have performed duties there since 2008. It has been brought to my attention by staff members and families of our patients that the grounds at Hopewell are extremely unkempt. Weeds are growing in all of the former flower beds, there are dead branches hanging from shrubbery and the gazebo area at the rear of the building is totally overgrown and the roses are dying. It is a shame that our patients and their families have to observe this mess. The other legacy hospitals appear to be fortunate to have wonderful landscaping services. Why does Hopewell not have the same.? One of our nurses has been so generous with her time and money to plant bulbs and other flowers at the entrance. She should not have to do this herself as well as provide excellent hospice service to our patients and their families. Please help make us proud of our facility and maintain this gem of an institution belonging to Legacy. Perhaps one of the management people should visit this wonderful place and recognize the work we do and take a look at the outside environment. We do bring our patients outside in their beds and family members use the courtyard for respite and comfort. How lovely it would be to have beautiful surroundings and not a weed patch. Hoping someone can make Hopewell as beautiful as the other Legacy facilities.

"Disappointment"

Former Employee - Safety Analyst in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Safety Analyst in Portland, OR

I worked at Legacy Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful "family" of co-workers. Great health care system.

Cons

Known for mass layoffs. Budgeting strategy to maintain competition is harmful to current employees