Legal & General America Reviews | Glassdoor

Legal & General America CEO Bernie Hickman
Bernie Hickman

1. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Legal & General America full-time

Pros

Love the innovative spirit, working inntechnology, amazing interaction with business units. Works collaboratively among groups to find the best industry solutions. Organizational culture promotes community involvement.

Cons

Wish we had unlimited resources as that is our only limitation, have to focus on the right projects with the most return.

Advice to Management

Keep the free spirit flowing, the employees in this organization is its strength. Continue to invest as we will be the best in the industry.

2. "Good Place to Work"

I worked at Legal & General America full-time

Pros

- Excellent benefits
    - Stable employment
    - Team work encouraged

Cons

Very limited room for growth

3. "LGA: Great Place To Work"

Pros

Tons of fun events to get involved in, a few examples include book club, wellness programs, intramural sports, Relay For Life and more! Volunteering and charity outreach is encouraged - employees are able to leave work (and get paid!) to volunteer at local schools, food banks, etc.

LGA sponsors educational opportunities to help develop employees skills.

The building had a beautiful courtyard, gym and innovation center (meeting room with beanbag chairs and whiteboard walls). The office is located in Urbana, MD - easy commute and accessible to major highways.

The people are great and everyone is always wiling to lend a hand, if needed. Very innovative and collaborative spirit.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind, overall a great place to work!

Advice to Management

Communication between departments could improve.

5. "Another Brick In The Wall"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montgomery Village, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montgomery Village, MD

I worked at Legal & General America (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are some great people who work hard and are respectful. I made some good friends in all departments. The benefits are great and if you have the vacation time, they allow you to use it as long as there isn't too many people scheduled out the same time.

Cons

I worked in two departments during my time. The first department was very laid back and we all worked like a team. I actually liked going to work because it was the right amount of work and the people were friendly. When I moved to the other department that I didn't want to go in the first place but was forced to, all that changed. I began dreading going to work and I felt I was tied down from being myself. My attitude towards the work changed and I became more stressed because of it. This is based on the second department, not the first one. Despite some nice people, there are others who only think of themselves. Some are very shady so be careful what you say around certain people. There is an obvious popularity contest and unless you are buddies with the supervisor or the right people, you are just another cog in the machine. Too much micromanagement. Some of the expectations are so high that it makes some people more paranoid not to mess up. The supervisors spend too much time on numbers and the times between certain tasks, rather than how hard an employee works. The department I was in was run like a library, where no one was allowed to speak to each other more than a minute or else we get in trouble. But, those who were favored were able to have normal conversations like it was gossip time. Concerns and issues about work or personal stuff would be listened to, but rarely gained any traction. However, if you were one of the favorites, there was a better chance action would be taken. The supervisors watch you like a hawk, yet they are able to chat as long as they want with their other supervisor friends. Even though I was in a large team, there was an obvious divide. It never felt like I was one a team. The mandatory overtime was also a problem sometimes and we would have to sacrifice our lunch as well to get the queues down. The standards made it impossible to take a break from working, unless you were really fast. It was pretty much 8 hours of sitting, typing, and not talking to anyone the entire day. God forbid you just want to walk around for a couple of minutes to get a soda. They will send a search party to find you if you're not back in 5 minutes. They claim they are about the employee, but from experience, I know that is not entirely true.

Advice to Management

Enough with the micromanagement. This isn't a prison. I don't need someone watching what time I badge in or log into my computer. I don't need someone who constantly checks my task log just to see if I am actually doing work. As long as your employees get their work done and meet standards at the end of the day, they should be allowed to chat for a few minutes if they want to and just be able to get up once in a while without feeling like they are being watched all the time.

"Not a whole lot of growth potential. Depends on your team."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Urbana, MD

Pros

Great benefits. Nice people in some of the groups.

Cons

Meet a lot people who been there for years but they seem to be in the same position. Not a whole lot of growth. The benefits are great but my salary was low compared to the market. I got a large raise when I left. Some of the people are really friendly and great to chat with. But I met some really strange and weird fellow employees. The managers I met were fake and passed by in the hallway without saying hello. Seems like the people who liked the place were local in Frederick, MD. You can find better if you want more, that is my opinion.

7. "Backward Company Needing Many Forward Looking Changes"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frederick, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frederick, MD

Pros

small firm, location ok with no traffic

Cons

office politics, immature, backwards, low morale

8. "Stable place to work"

I worked at Legal & General America full-time

Pros

Good location that avoids a lot of 270 traffic. Management is very knowledgeable. Good benefits, including 401k match and a cash balance plan pension.

Cons

Communication is sometimes lacking. Bonuses are available but it is unknown how they are calculated and what you can do to maximize your bonus.

9. "Wellness com."

Former Employee - Laid Off in Frederick, MD
    Former Employee - Laid Off in Frederick, MD

I worked at Legal & General America (More than 5 years)

Pros

Does a great job getting people involve

Cons

Activity are during working hours and due to schedule some may not be able to attend

Advice to Management

Be fair

"Great Company To Work For - Looking Forward To Celebrating 17 Years!!"

Current Employee - Manager, Accounting Operations in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Manager, Accounting Operations in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Legal & General America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Legal & General America cares about their staff and clients. The company is stable with great benefits such as: 401K, pension plan, dental, vision, vacation, tuition reimbursement, an annual bonus and salary increase depending on performance. LGA gives back to the community in many ways and every year we have an annual charity campaign raising money for the less fortunate. Our work environment is a family atmosphere with caring, kind, and considerate coworkers. We laugh together and work hard together to achieve our goals and objectives. The company follows the motto “EVERY DAY MATTERS”.

Cons

Our department is not currently setup to work remotely at least one day a week.

Advice to Management

Please continue to provide business updates to staff on the growth of the company. Listen to employees because together we can continue to make LGA our home away from home.

"The Company that cares"

Current Employee - Vice President in Urbana, MD
    Current Employee - Vice President in Urbana, MD

I have been working at Legal & General America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work environment, great benefits, cares for staff, willing to listen

Cons

Can't always balance priorities and work/life balance