Legal & General America Reviews | Glassdoor

Legal & General America CEO Bernie Hickman
Bernie Hickman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Always learning, constantly challenged, perpetually proud of the people and company!"

Current Employee - Emplyee in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Emplyee in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Legal & General America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Never bored! The work (at least in my area) is constantly evolving and I am proud to be part of it.

I have learned so much and can see the same progression in my co-workers once they've been here awhile. Wonderful group of people with remarkable talents. Can’t say enough good things.

Benefits are amazing- plenty of vacation, great, affordable health insurance and retirement plans are fabulous (I now actually have a pension + 401k with a generous match!) Can't believe how much I have built-up over a short time.

Cons

Very team oriented. If you must have constant recognition for yourself, not sure this is the place for you.
    Also, not a place for slackers. They usually get weeded out (and then complain about it).

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Legal & General America Response

Sep 8, 2017 – Human Resources Associate

Thank you for the positive feedback! We enjoy it here too!

2. "We build the best teams!"

Current Employee - Chief Operating Officer in Urbana, MD
    Current Employee - Chief Operating Officer in Urbana, MD

I have been working at Legal & General America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Legal and General represents a great place to work and an outstanding career choice because of these important elements:
    •We are a company focused on growth and innovation
    •We offer an engaging environment where your ideas and voice are heard
    •Finally, our staff has the ability to make a real difference for our customers, our company and themselves!!

As Chief Operating Officer, I am energized by the place I work and the people I work with. My goal is to find people who don't just want a job, but want to build their future career in a place where they can go as far as their ambitions take them.

Cons

There just aren't enough hours in the day to do all the exciting things we want to do!

"Fantastic Company With Fantastic People"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Legal & General America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company is a great place to start out. Company activities are a blast. Coworkers are very genuine and friendly.

Cons

I do not have any at this time

"So/so"

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Legal & General America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There's a gym for employees that you can workout in if you're not doing mandatory overtime and you can volunteer for different charitable events. You get a pension started after a year which is a plus.

Cons

For a company that was started in London the vacation days are slim to none within your first 3 years. 10 days of vacation out of 52 weeks??? Most companies are switching to 3 weeks or unlimited vacation. IBM starts off with 5 weeks. Europe has a minimum of 30 days off (hence the London remark). You would think they would apply the 30 day min principle to their other branches which in turn would help with their employees quality of life which will reflect on their work for the most part. There's barely a few mins to get a drink of water. Interview process was at least 3 hours so don't expect for it to be a standard timed interview. They say there's room for growth but that's typically if someone else leaves/gets promoted first and there's an opening. High production environment.

Advice to Management

It would be nice if the execs came in a few times a year to get to know their staff a little better and not just stats.

5. "It's a Good Place"

I have been working at Legal & General America part-time

Pros

I enjoy speaking with clients and feeling like I make a difference. The pay is good, and even as a part time employee I have medical, dental, and a 401k.

Cons

It would be nice to have sick leave. But as a part time employee I still have vacation so it's not too bad.

Advice to Management

Nothing major. Continue to communicate change.

"Flexibility"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Legal & General America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Support from management, flexible schedule if needed, coworker comradery, community outreach, LOMA certifications offered for compensation

Cons

High workload for less pay, only one health insurance plan to choose from, low bonus and low pay increase for non-management employees

Legal & General America Response

Jun 29, 2017 – Human Resources Associate

Thank you for taking the time to give us your review. We have been listening closely to employee feedback and offered more flexible remote work schedules this year. We are happy to hear positive... More

7. "Licensing Case Manager"

Current Employee - Licensing Case Manager in Urbana, MD
    Current Employee - Licensing Case Manager in Urbana, MD

I have been working at Legal & General America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I get to work remote once a week.

Cons

Production environment, monthly audit and very strict with sick leave.

Advice to Management

More remote work days and ease up with leave approval.

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Legal & General America full-time

Pros

Love the innovative spirit, working inntechnology, amazing interaction with business units. Works collaboratively among groups to find the best industry solutions. Organizational culture promotes community involvement.

Cons

Wish we had unlimited resources as that is our only limitation, have to focus on the right projects with the most return.

Advice to Management

Keep the free spirit flowing, the employees in this organization is its strength. Continue to invest as we will be the best in the industry.

"LGA: Great Place To Work"

Pros

Tons of fun events to get involved in, a few examples include book club, wellness programs, intramural sports, Relay For Life and more! Volunteering and charity outreach is encouraged - employees are able to leave work (and get paid!) to volunteer at local schools, food banks, etc.

LGA sponsors educational opportunities to help develop employees skills.

The building had a beautiful courtyard, gym and innovation center (meeting room with beanbag chairs and whiteboard walls). The office is located in Urbana, MD - easy commute and accessible to major highways.

The people are great and everyone is always wiling to lend a hand, if needed. Very innovative and collaborative spirit.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind, overall a great place to work!

Advice to Management

Communication between departments could improve.

10. "Another Brick In The Wall"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montgomery Village, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montgomery Village, MD

I worked at Legal & General America (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are some great people who work hard and are respectful. I made some good friends in all departments. The benefits are great and if you have the vacation time, they allow you to use it as long as there isn't too many people scheduled out the same time.

Cons

I worked in two departments during my time. The first department was very laid back and we all worked like a team. I actually liked going to work because it was the right amount of work and the people were friendly. When I moved to the other department that I didn't want to go in the first place but was forced to, all that changed. I began dreading going to work and I felt I was tied down from being myself. My attitude towards the work changed and I became more stressed because of it. This is based on the second department, not the first one. Despite some nice people, there are others who only think of themselves. Some are very shady so be careful what you say around certain people. There is an obvious popularity contest and unless you are buddies with the supervisor or the right people, you are just another cog in the machine. Too much micromanagement. Some of the expectations are so high that it makes some people more paranoid not to mess up. The supervisors spend too much time on numbers and the times between certain tasks, rather than how hard an employee works. The department I was in was run like a library, where no one was allowed to speak to each other more than a minute or else we get in trouble. But, those who were favored were able to have normal conversations like it was gossip time. Concerns and issues about work or personal stuff would be listened to, but rarely gained any traction. However, if you were one of the favorites, there was a better chance action would be taken. The supervisors watch you like a hawk, yet they are able to chat as long as they want with their other supervisor friends. Even though I was in a large team, there was an obvious divide. It never felt like I was one a team. The mandatory overtime was also a problem sometimes and we would have to sacrifice our lunch as well to get the queues down. The standards made it impossible to take a break from working, unless you were really fast. It was pretty much 8 hours of sitting, typing, and not talking to anyone the entire day. God forbid you just want to walk around for a couple of minutes to get a soda. They will send a search party to find you if you're not back in 5 minutes. They claim they are about the employee, but from experience, I know that is not entirely true.

Advice to Management

Enough with the micromanagement. This isn't a prison. I don't need someone watching what time I badge in or log into my computer. I don't need someone who constantly checks my task log just to see if I am actually doing work. As long as your employees get their work done and meet standards at the end of the day, they should be allowed to chat for a few minutes if they want to and just be able to get up once in a while without feeling like they are being watched all the time.