LegalShield Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 12, 2019

3.3
Jeff Bell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The ability to work from home and be with your kids, your family, travel and go where you want because you can work where you want is unbelievable" (in 6 reviews)

• "There are some really great people working at the company" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Crappy reviews rpm those who did not put anything into it and expected to make money" (in 5 reviews)

• "Communication outside home office sucks" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Company was really great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at LegalShield full-time

Pros

Professional environment with good people

Cons

We don’t have so many people

"Earn what you deserve."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at LegalShield full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Great pay. Lots of info /training.

Cons

Takes time and if you cannot self manage and poorly communicate it’s not for you.

3. "Profits are better than wages"

Current Employee - Armsteadworthington@gmail.com in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Armsteadworthington@gmail.com in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at LegalShield part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay (daily), no boss, able to build all over the country even while on vacation. Personal development focused company and family oriented.

Cons

Hard to say, because everything I think as a con is also a pro... Hard work (nothing worth having takes hard work), Lot's of reading and training (but now else do you expect to grow), No one makes you get up in the morning to go build your business (But, NO ONE MAKES YOU get up in the morning, not to mention your building your own business)... I could go on and on...

Advice to Management

Like I said, you have no bosses... But to the leadership, keep pushing us and driving us to get better. Thank you!!!!

4. "Sr. Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at LegalShield part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Get paid daily.
    All training provided.
    No overhead quotas boundaries nationwide.

Cons

So much to understand. But worth it

Advice to Management

Improve Prospects by LegalShield App.
    Update with videos.

"A Company With Potential"

I worked at LegalShield full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many of the people who have been there a long time are like a huge family and welcome others into the family. They are there to support one another and lift one another up. The company is experiencing growth under the new leadership, which is great. The ET is also doing a great job at bringing the company technology into modern times as well as improving processes.

Cons

People are just a number. Top leader does not seem to care about people. The rumors that ran through the grapevine were that he threw things at people and screamed and cussed at people. I don't know if its all true or not. I have heard him be less than disrespectful to people and about people as well as experienced the screaming so it wouldn't be a shocker if it were true. The work life balance was completely out of sorts. The CEO lives in the building, which I think plays a factor in the heavy work load.

Advice to Management

You've invested tons of money in improving the culture. Just be nice/decent and the culture will take care of itself.

"Your dream won't work unless you do."

Current Employee - Independent Sales Associate "Director" in Yakima, WA
    Current Employee - Independent Sales Associate "Director" in Yakima, WA

I have been working at LegalShield part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Legal Shield is a company that has been around 40+ years, and continues its growth. Don't listen to the nay sayers who try to meline the founder. Harlen Stonsipher was a salesman who got sued by the woman who hit his car totalling it and putting him in the hospital. When it took everything he owned to defend himself against the lawsuit. The was the time he said there has got to be a better way to have an Attorney and Law Firm on your side. And so we have Legal Shield. Harlen wasn't a preacher and Jeff Bell is not Jesus, but he is a remarkable and forward thinking leader and CEO. If you doubt that I urge you to contact Bill Gates. Ask him how good of a job Mr Bell did with the X-Box division at Microsoft, and how disappointed he was in losing him to the Legal Shield Family.

Cons

The only Con would be this. The people who nay say, and bad mouth the company, and income are the ones who don't work the business. It isn't some get rich scene. And it is no pyramid structure like Amway. Your business works when you do and managing your reaction to the word NO will determine how well you do. The people who see pie in the sky money, and are only interested in personal wealth, and then get discouraged because they missed their own sales goals. These are the people that sloppily moved too fast with tunnel vision with eyes fixed on green paper. Instead of remembering the Golden Rule of Business. It is the number 1 rule in business and it always will be.
    Your Customer pays your Paycheck. All business in one way or another is about Customer Service.
    I don't think anyone who follows the proven training system on how to run your Legal Shield Business as an independent business associate, and devotes 5 to 10 hours a week I don't see how they can fail. To grow your business takes time and dedication. You need to be Coachable. And you need to focus on your Customers and less on yourself.

Advice to Management

Keep going Jeff Bell.

"There's Always Room for Improvement"

I worked at LegalShield full-time

Pros

There are some really great people working at the company. The people who actually make things happen and do the hard work, for the most part, are amazing to work with, professional, and concerned about the success of the company.

Great benefits for the employee (primary health plan). Add spouse and children and it's still quite reasonable in terms of cost. There are a few, but very few, other perks in the benefits package that you don't have to pay for yourself. But even those other available perks are offered at competitive pricing.

Profit sharing is nice. (One caution if you're considering employment, make sure you understand what's being offered and how it's calculated. It's not a guaranteed payout as were the bonuses the profit share program replaced.)

Cons

Leadership views employees as "seats," and nothing is "personal." It's quite unsettling how cold the company has become to the people. As a result there's not much of a sense of job security. As long as you know what you're signing up for and begin your career with eyes wide open, it’s not a problem. However, for so many tenured employees, this culture shift has been quite personal. If you’re looking for a company with a “family” atmosphere, this isn’t that place anymore.

Watch out for personality tests that are taken to the extreme. Generalizations around the results of one test became a very powerful filter in how many in leadership viewed my actions and conversations. Instead of being considered a well-rounded individual with legitimate concerns, I was referred to as a two-digit number (the number representing my personality) and legitimate concerns could be dismissed by simply assigning them to a personality defect. Common phrases included, "You're in shadow." and "You're not being your best self." So, if you're into that kind of thing, great...if not, frustration is the nice way to describe how it can feel at those times when you're being dismissed by someone with personality traits resembling a freight train.

"There's always room for improvement." That's the mantra chanted from the top down...and proliferated by every level of management. It seems fine, maybe even logical, at first. Even I bought into it for awhile. But, to the extreme it's employed at LegalShield, the constant state of disappointment, and the fact that nothing is ever good enough, is quite demoralizing and causes some people to second-guess every decision. It can cause productivity paralysis if you're concerned about doing work that will be well-received.

Advice to Management

I see some really great things happening, but too many things still need improvement for my rating to be higher (if I'm using the same performance evaluation metrics I was subjected to as an employee). In a fair evaluation, I think the company averages out in the middle, but on the bottom side of the 3-star rating...like a 2.7 maybe.

Celebrate successes more!

Communicate to EVERYONE more directly (massive newsletters are ineffective at sincerely delivering important information).

Provide some measure of job security (I don't know how you do it, but it's clearly missing).

Finally, the application of perceived pressure can be abused. Don't do that and don't let your middle-management do it. It can cause teams to be less effective, become paralyzed, or seek other employment.

"Home Office Employee Review"

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Ada, OK
    Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Ada, OK

I have been working at LegalShield full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Don’t expect to make money at LS. And if you don’t believe me, just look at their own income disclosure which they are required to provide no matter how much they’d rather you didn’t see it.

Cons

In your first couple of years you can hope to make $800 a year IF YOU’RE LUCKY. This isn’t even enough to cover the costs of the sign up fee and all the training and materials you have to buy. So right off you’re working at a loss. And even the associates who keep at it for over 20 years still only average less than $10k a year. That’s a minimum wage job and, unlike MCDonald’s, you don’t get insurance and other benefits with LS.

Advice to Management

So, my advice is to ignore the slick promotional videos and all the lies told at the events and just ask to see the actual numbers. If you can convince anyone to actually give it to you (hint: most of them won’t. The will delay and change the subject and try to sucker you in with more lies and promises) you’ll see that it’s a rip off. Its all sizzle but no steak.

"Great people, difficult management"

I worked at LegalShield full-time

Pros

Other employees were like family, enjoyed the work, cafe and prescription delivery were convenient, home office was beautiful.

Cons

Management increasingly treated employees like machines or beasts of burden, no job security for most personnel, supervisors played clear favorites.

Advice to Management

Treat all employees equally, give equal opportunities for development and advancement, and be kind from top down.

"There’s One Born Every Second"

Current Employee - Senior Product Developer in Ada, OK
    Current Employee - Senior Product Developer in Ada, OK

I have been working at LegalShield full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The LegalShield methodology is increasingly becoming one of “monetizing window dressing”, taking things that already exist in the marketplace, labeling it as their own, and using that to extend the lifespan of the “opportunity”.

Cons

A year ago it was Launch and offering up free legal documents and forms as a perk of membership, in other words, selling stuff that is readily available online or through RocketLawyer or many other sources without a LegalShield membership. Now its the LegalShield Law Index which essentially takes the prevailing conventional wisdom about bankruptcies, interest rates, economic growth, etc. and tries to brand it as a LegalShield “product”. So, essentially they read the Wall Street Journal or watch CNBC and restate what they hear as if they have internal analysts adding value to publicly available information.

Advice to Management

Why? Well, its like the “new” formula for a decades old laundry detergent that is really nothing more than a redesign of the packaging There will be people who actually think that their whites are getting whiter but in reality its the same old detergent being poured from a shiny new box. It creates an image of corporate vitality when in reality its a testament to their stagnation, but when your business model is predicated on the PT Barnum dictum that there is a sucker born every minute, you just have to fool enough people to keep the commission checks flowing to the upper 1% of the salesforce and to corporate upper-management.