LegalShield "legalshield" Reviews | Glassdoor

LegalShield Employee Reviews about "legalshield"

Updated Jul 3, 2019

3.8
LegalShield Chief Executive Officer Jeff Bell (no image)
Jeff Bell
Pros
  • "I have been with LegalShield a little under two years and I absolutely love working here(in 20 reviews)

• "LegalShield provides a great opportunity to build your own business with residual income(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "I really can't think of a downside to sharing an incredible service like LegalShield(in 9 reviews)

• "Crappy reviews rpm those who did not put anything into it and expected to make money(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "legalshield"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Absolutely the best company ever."

Current Employee - Independent Agent in Owasso, OK

I have been working at LegalShield full-time for more than a year

Pros

Daily pay and amazing bonuses, there is nothing more exciting than waking up to a direct deposit every morning m

Cons

None. Whatsoever, LegalShield is the best company they have the best commissions and bonuses. I mean come one, do you earn 10 thousand dollar bonuses?

LegalShield2018-03-10

LegalShield Response

April 25, 2018AS Leader

Thank you for being an Independent LegalShield Associate. Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback!

Continue reading

"There's Always Room for Improvement"

I worked at LegalShield full-time

Pros

There are some really great people working at the company. The people who actually make things happen and do the hard work, for the most part, are amazing to work with, professional, and concerned about the success of the company. Great benefits for the employee (primary health plan). Add spouse and children and it's still quite reasonable in terms of cost. There are a few, but very few, other perks in the benefits package that you don't have to pay for yourself. But even those other available perks are offered at competitive pricing. Profit sharing is nice. (One caution if you're considering employment, make sure you understand what's being offered and how it's calculated. It's not a guaranteed payout as were the bonuses the profit share program replaced.)

Cons

Leadership views employees as "seats," and nothing is "personal." It's quite unsettling how cold the company has become to the people. As a result there's not much of a sense of job security. As long as you know what you're signing up for and begin your career with eyes wide open, it’s not a problem. However, for so many tenured employees, this culture shift has been quite personal. If you’re looking for a company with a “family” atmosphere, this isn’t that place anymore. Watch out for personality tests that are taken to the extreme. Generalizations around the results of one test became a very powerful filter in how many in leadership viewed my actions and conversations. Instead of being considered a well-rounded individual with legitimate concerns, I was referred to as a two-digit number (the number representing my personality) and legitimate concerns could be dismissed by simply assigning them to a personality defect. Common phrases included, "You're in shadow." and "You're not being your best self." So, if you're into that kind of thing, great...if not, frustration is the nice way to describe how it can feel at those times when you're being dismissed by someone with personality traits resembling a freight train. "There's always room for improvement." That's the mantra chanted from the top down...and proliferated by every level of management. It seems fine, maybe even logical, at first. Even I bought into it for awhile. But, to the extreme it's employed at LegalShield, the constant state of disappointment, and the fact that nothing is ever good enough, is quite demoralizing and causes some people to second-guess every decision. It can cause productivity paralysis if you're concerned about doing work that will be well-received.

LegalShield2018-10-04

"A ”Side Hustle” for the Aspiring Con Artist"

I have been working at LegalShield full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Let me just preface this review by saying that you will NOT make money as a LegalShield associate. I've spent a long time as a member of the corporate associate services team, I've seen the numbers, I've talked to the sales force, front line newbies and upper-echelon long-timers, and I know that the deck is stacked against anyone except the upper .1%. You will pay your associate fee, buy the material, sign up for the training, go to the events, and it will net you nothing.

Cons

All the money that you sink into ”setting up your business” just gets funneled up to the top level guys. That's the game. We sell the ”opportunity” and the money you spend on training is how we pay the commissions that you will likely never see.

LegalShield2018-10-18

"One of the Great Unreported Scandals"

Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Ada, OK

I worked at LegalShield full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I am so glad to have found this site and to see all the current and former home office employees who have had the same sort of experience that I had while employed at LegalShield. It is a successful, growing company, and much praise has to be given to a leadership team who has been able to keep it growing. But, more and more, I see that this growth comes at the expense of the employees, the integrity of the sales force, the professionalism of the attorneys, and the rational self-interest of the members.

Cons

It’s snake oil, everyone in leadership knows it’s snakeoil. Leadership has made a change in messaging from the evangelical-tinged preaching of Harlan Stonecipher (the God “wants you to be rich” sales pitch) to a more social justice message under Jeff Bell (get even with the establishment by ripping them off one membership fee at a one), but it’s still a service based pyramid scheme where instead of product loading, you push a “service” that most people don’t want to use and, as a result don’t, so the average lifespan of a member is 2-3 years of monthly dues paid for nothing that is then funneled to the law firms and up the pyramid to the higher up’s. It really is a well designed scheme.

LegalShield2018-10-16

"A Breech of Trust"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ada, OK

I worked at LegalShield full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

In it’s time, LegalShield was a good company to work for. They cared about the employees and were fair and open about their plans, strategies, and worked to keep employees abreast of changes.

Cons

At some point all of that changed. Leadership simply cannot be trusted. Here’s my proof. After I was told, after nearly 25 years at the company, that I could find another position within the company or I had 30 days to vacate. This happened with several people of the same tenure and with similar salary levels (i’ll let you draw your own conclusions). So, not wanting to leave the company I found three potential positions that I felt I was suited for and could make an impact at. My leader (executive VP) made sure that I gave him these positions before I applied for them. I did. So, after getting his approval to apply for them I was told that not one, not two, but all three positions that were all open, internally and to the public, we’re actually filled. They remained open on the public website for weeks after I left the company. So, I took the hint and decided to move on at the end of the 30 days. I spent the next few weeks training my replacements as the same executive VP did everything he could to humiliate me in public, in front of coworkers and friends, as if he was trying to get me to leave early, lash out and justify early termination, or just did it out of sadistic pleasure. But I held my tongue, did my job, and finished out my time.

LegalShield2018-10-04

"Love it!!!"

Current Employee - Director - Independent Associate in Marietta, GA

I have been working at LegalShield part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have been with LegalShield for almost 12 years as an Independent Associate as well as a member. I have used my membership countless times and have been astounded at the response by the Legal representation by every law firm I have encountered. I will first and foremost never be without the membership. Secondly, as an associate, I have thoroughly enjoyed not only recruiting people to join this venture but introducing people to a service that empowers you and your family. We all have questions and those questions usually have a legal root, so why have to check your wallet before calling an attorney. LegalShield gives you the freedom to get the advice and consultation on ANYTHING legal based.

Cons

I really can't think of a downside to sharing an incredible service like LegalShield.

LegalShield2018-08-07

"Leadership Misrepresents the Opportunity"

Current Employee - Retention Specialist in Ada, OK

I have been working at LegalShield full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The corporate office is a nice facility and the Ada community is pleasant and polite.

Cons

I spent nearly 15 years as an employee at the corporate office and not once did I ever feel tempted to actually sell the product. Why? Because I saw the reality of the numbers. The company’s income disclosure is online (just search LegalShield income disclosure) and not because they want it to be. Based on their own numbers you see that in the first two years of being an associate you can optimistically hope to earn $700/yr. Not exactly the image that is being sold to people by the company marketing material. Even if you stick it out, associates that have been there over 20 years and go the extra miles of training, certification, etc... to be a group salesperson, you can only hope to make $15k/yr. That works out to $300/wk or less than $8/hr. So, my review of LS is that it is dishonest, from the leadership on down the pyramid of salespeople.

LegalShield2018-08-13

"Not All It’s Cracked Up To Be"

Current Employee - Corporate Trainer in Ada, OK

I have been working at LegalShield full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I’ve spent over ten years of my life working at LegalShield and I’ve come to be amazed at how the company looks down upon its own membership base. It’s all recruit, recruit, recruit and the members are kind of viewed as a hindrance to what the leadership sees as their purpose: creating a bigger and bigger sales force.

Cons

When you have a people oriented mindset and you really do want to help people with legal issues, it’s dispiriting to see how little it matters in the grand corporate scheme.

LegalShield2018-07-30

"Great work environment!"

Current Employee - HRIS Administrator in Ada, OK

I have been working at LegalShield full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Work Environment Communication with Staff Benefits Self-Service with Workday Great Atmosphere I have been with LegalShield a little under two years and I absolutely love working here. The culture and atmosphere make LegalShield feel like a second home, you won't be disappointed if you accept a job opportunity here!

Cons

Our new prescription coverage seems to not cover as much as our previous one, however, I know our Benefits team is working to help resolve issues we are having with this.

LegalShield2018-02-13

"Great"

Senior Associate in New York, NY

I worked at LegalShield for more than 5 years

Pros

The company provides great legal access for what it's worth. For $24 a month you can get access to a team of lawyers to answer any questions that you may have. In 85% of the cases they are very good. Like any service there is a fail rate, but LegalShield ain't so bad.

Cons

As a Network Marketer there are lack of support. You have to be very careful as to who you sign up to business with. You're upline is your lifeline. If they don't know what they are doing or they don't know how to lead, it will affect you.

LegalShield2017-10-10