LegalZoom Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
John Suh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Bagels on Friday, Portos once a month; bringing in healthier food and drink options (in 30 reviews)

• Carnival day, cake day, free bagels, karaoke, golf tournaments, kickball, company Olympics, and much more (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • They are a churn and burn call center who have stopped putting their customers and employees first (in 14 reviews)

• The management in customer care never gave you any reliable or correct information on when you'd be converted (in 8 reviews)

1. "Great Place to be apart of"

Current Employee - Prt in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Prt in Austin, TX

I have been working at LegalZoom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company has alot of growth and has an easy to work with crowd. I have worked in call centers in the past and the job is not that hard. They work with you in nearly everyway and are easy going. They even offer training so you can advance into new roles in the company.

Cons

Each level of the biz is not the same. Depending on the area you work in will determine the level of management.

Advice to Management

More management only focus training for the management team. to bring them more together. for other departments.

"I hope to leave soon"

Current Employee - Other in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Other in Austin, TX

I have been working at LegalZoom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bagel fridays, cake day, random catering, open work environment, decent people, relaxed dress code, nice building

Cons

I am just making it on this salary. Most people don’t seem to live in Austin but the surrounding area, so a lot of people have second jobs. Management arrives to work after you do, they hit the gym, talk, chat, shop online and then leave before you do, but if you’re late or mess up even a little bit, watch out! You only get six days off a year so if you are sick and you have kids that get sick, you will find yourself out of luck quite often. Management seems to have unlimited time off. Your holiday bonus is a joke and the raises you give are an insult. Little room for advancement. If you want to advance you can be total garbage at your job so long as your buddy can promote you.

Advice to Management

Put in your 40 hours a week like the rest of sales, production, and customer care reps!

3. "Great Company - Growing and Customer Focused - Lots of Opportunity to Move Up"

Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at LegalZoom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Company with Great culture working to help bring access to the legal space for all consumers.

Cons

Certain employees can and staff can be negative at times bringing down the moral and make the work environment a bit frustrating. Overall great place to work though.

"Not that good"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Glendale, CA

I worked at LegalZoom (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bagal friday I guess and location is good

Cons

Some of the managers know little about the technologies

"Sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at LegalZoom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, location and building. You also gain a ton of knowledge about legal documents.

Cons

You spend a lot of time doing work that is not your responsibility, such as customer service and retention which you do not help you hit targets. They are a churn and burn call center who have stopped putting their customers and employees first.

"LegalDoom"

Former Employee - Marketing in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Glendale, CA

I worked at LegalZoom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

With so many cons, the pros of working at LegalZoom aren't worth mentioning.

Cons

First, let me start by saying that most of the recent positive reviews are fake/coerced. LegalZoom HR has been known to ask new and/or easily-coerced employees to write a positive review about LegalZoom on Glassdoor. That's why for every negative review you'll see two or three positive reviews appear shortly after. When I started working at the company about three years ago, before HR began asking people to write reviews, LegalZoom's overall rating was around 2.8/5 (which should have been a red flag).

*Since Glassdoor does not allow me to refer to people within the company by their title, this review might read a little awkward...

Of all the companies I've worked at, LegalZoom by far has the worst leaders I have ever encountered. Favoritism happens at every workplace, but I've never seen such extreme cases as I did at LegalZoom, especially on the marketing team. And if you're not favored by at least one upper manager - you won't go anywhere with this company. It doesn't matter how hard you work, how nice you are, or how much money you make for the company - you will get absolutely zero recognition or support and you'll be treated like a worthless piece of garbage. If an upper manager or (certain) executive does not take a personal liking to you, it's possible you'll even get laid off under the guise that they are "restructuring" (then they'll post your position on LinkedIn a few months later).

If you’re a female who is considering applying for a marketing job at this company – don’t. You will never be recognized, appreciated or promoted because the female in charge of the marketing team has a VERY strong preference for her male employees and makes it VERY obvious. Males in this department are praised, promoted, made to feel important/appreciated – not because they have done such an amazing job, just because the female leader has taken a personal liking to them. The female in charge of the marketing team regularly makes inappropriate comments to her male employees and has even embraced a few of them in the middle of the office for no apparent reason. It’s such a bizarre, uncomfortable environment for a female to work in. It was awkward to watch some of the things that went on there. Unfortunately, the other male "chiefs"are too naïve to notice and stop this unprofessional, toxic behavior.

If you are a male, on the other hand, this is the company for you. Everything you do and say is praised and valued. The marketing "chief" will go out of her way to find something in common with you and will strike up a conversation with you on a regular basis. She’ll fight for you and protect you (should you screw up). You’ll get invited to extra-long and frequent meetings to discuss your “brilliant” strategy (and gossip). She may even invite herself to hang out with you on the weekends, if you’re one of her “special” ones. If you're a female - and not one of the two in the company she actually has a rapport with - you'll rarely even get a "hello" out of her.

Males also get promoted at a much faster rate at LegalZoom. For example, a male who starts as a Manager will typically get promoted to Sr. Manager within six months or so; after another six months he'll be promoted to Director, then shortly after that, Sr. Director, and from there they'll just change his title every few months to include more "fluff" in an effort to appease and make him feel more important than he is. A female who gets hired as a Manager, on the other hand, will remain a manager for 3, 4, 5, years - sometimes more - with no promotion in site. It's blatant sexism that has a lot of female employees feeling insignificant and undervalued.

The second in command on one of the teams within marketing acts likes a spoiled child when he doesn't get his way. He's been know to walk the hallways cursing and whining when he's upset. He also has his favorites on the team (basically any male, and females who are soft-spoken and attractive) and shuns anyone who doesn't fit that description. His wife has a high position within the department that handles the hiring, administration, and training of personnel (should be easy to figure out which department that is) so that's how he's able to get away with this unprofessional, immature, inappropriate behavior for so many years.

Also, if you are on the quieter side or consider yourself an introvert, you will not feel comfortable in this environment. The people who do well at LegalZoom talk a lot - too much - about nonsense, mostly, but also about their "brilliant" ideas and how wonderful they are. The incessant chatter of pompous coworkers will really get on your nerves after a while.

The marketing team at LegalZoom is a toxic environment to be in. I would advise anyone who is considering a job in marketing at LegalZoom to look elsewhere because you will regret it.

Advice to Management

Your management team needs a complete overhaul. Get rid of toxic, narcissistic executives and upper-managers before you lose more people who made your company tons of money. You're allowing the company to be overrun by those whose egos are much bigger than their talent or their consideration for the people who work hard for them. Pay attention to past reviews of similar complaints and do something about it.

7. "Nice place to work"

Former Employee - Writer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Writer in Austin, TX

I worked at LegalZoom (More than a year)

Pros

Great snacks and good people.

Cons

Long hours and suspect room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Better snacks they are healthier.

"Exciting Time"

I have been working at LegalZoom full-time

Pros

Putting their money where their mouth is on new product investments
    Super-collaborative
    Lots of kind and smart people from very diverse backgrounds
    Aggressive transition to subscription and customer-focused products/services

Cons

Too many decisions made at the top of the company
    Can be hard to balance collab with getting work done

Advice to Management

Double down on customer focus!

"Worst job ever"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at LegalZoom full-time

Pros

The gym and not much else. The gym offers a quick escape from the horrible environment past the gym doors.

Cons

This place is hands down, the worst job I have ever had. I have never encountered more ignorance, favoritism, misogyny and sexual harassment in any other position. And then to come on here on Glassdoor and see that I was not the only one who dealt with the same sort of experiences, well, I'm not surprised but I wish I knew others going through the same thing when I was there. This is a company that turns a blind eye to what is really going on: bullying by management between themselves and other staff, gossip, passive-aggressive behaviors, and encouraging others to "stand up for themselves" where it backfires. And then when you go to HR with the complaints, they do NOTHING because they're friends with management and have been for years. But does anything change with all these complaints? No. And the thing is, with this counter-productive work environment, we are expected to work and still be professional, even when everyone else around is not doing their job.

They hire people in management who are horribly unqualified and subsequently insecure by their lack of experience and they start to turn and throw their own staff under the bus, without any sort of accountability on their part or coaching. And the people who could be promoted to fill management roles have been primed to be a part of that toxic Legalzoom culture and are just as bad as their managers. I'd like to think this is within the Production department but sadly, this is across the board, with all the departments, throughout the entire company.

If you're thinking about applying here, DON'T. Even if you can ignore a toxic work environment, you'll get looped into gossip without doing anything. It's a very judgmental environment and you really are damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Advice to Management

Hire people with integrity, not the crummy people who are enablers and sub-par in terms of qualifications. HR, put your foot down and do what is right. C-level execs, look at your managers and directors with a high-def magnifying glass because they deny doing anything wrong but they are so very much the problem. Same with the assistant managers. This environment and these issues run deep and you cannot get quality work out of lackluster and horrible people.

"Customer Care"

Current Employee - Customer Care Tier II in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Care Tier II in Austin, TX

I have been working at LegalZoom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This place has an excellent culture. I went down the list of reviews, seems to me most of the negative reviews come from individuals who used to work on the sales floor. They really do have an open door policy. I have been working here a little over 2 months and it doesn't matter who I talk to they are always receptive. Management has a lot on their hands at all times, so for them to make it seem like they have time fora question or concern is pretty incredible. Training was intense, and it needs to be. There is a lot to learn, but this is a customer service job with an actual, tangible impact. The empowerment given to the customers is something real and can be measured. I worked at a company for 11 years before coming here and have been wondering why I didn't leave earlier. Most companies tell you they reward hard work; Legal Zoom backs it up. I busted my behind in training and earned a promotion out of the gate. This is my first experience in a call center and honestly, unless you worked in other sectors in the service industry, there's really nothing to complain about. Do your job, do it well, and get noticed - age old recipe that's in effect every day here. Benefits are great, PTO is great, co-workers are great and supportive.

Cons

There are some "same page, different book" issues when it comes to knowledge of the job, but this is also normal when you are working to improve your methods / products every day. Change is necessary.