LegalZoom Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2020

LegalZoom CEO Dan Wernikoff  (no image)
Dan Wernikoff
Pros
  • "Bagels on Friday, Portos once a month; bringing in healthier food and drink options(in 40 reviews)

• "Carnival day, cake day, free bagels, karaoke, golf tournaments, kickball, company Olympics, and much more(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "They also need to get it together on what teams need to be in Austin vs(in 15 reviews)

• "They are a churn and burn call center who have stopped putting their customers and employees first(in 14 reviews)

1. "Focussed on customers and employees"

Current Employee - Product

I have been working at LegalZoom full-time

Pros

Genuinely cares about customers and employees

Cons

Experiencing a period of rapid change

2. "Decent pay but not worth the headache"

Former Employee - Account Representative II in Austin, TX

I worked at LegalZoom full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great new building. Gym, free food, great for a call center. Everyone is very friendly for the most part but not very efficient with communicating when it comes to work.

Cons

The systems they use are not up to date. Which in return made them not very accurate. You really had to watch what revenue you were making versus what their system showed.

3. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Retention Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at LegalZoom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing office with gym, commons area, cafe and beautiful outdoor spots to spend break times. Engaged leadership at all levels, they really care about their people and their development in all aspects of life - at work and at home.

Cons

Constantly changing, which is only a con if it’s hard for you to keep up.

4. COVID-19

"Chaos and Confusion"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at LegalZoom full-time for more than a year

Pros

WFH during COVID. Bagel Friday’s pre COVID.

Cons

C team, all 2, don’t have no C-level experience. Completely winging it. They think they can lift and shift culture, processes, people, product development and strategy from Intuit and have smooth sailing into IPO land. They seem to think most existing employees are stupid because we’re not from Silicon Valley but yet keep the most disliked and not respected VPs (mostly in Tech) Complete lack of clarity about company goals are creating lots of confusion and chaos starting with the fearful VPs and Directors, who are so scared to lose their jobs, they’re becoming tyrannical yet do not communicate goals and expectations so people understand what and how to direct their energy. Forget about Diversity and Inclusion, BLM, gender equality, racial equality. The leadership is homogenous so they can’t begin to understand what this means. The CPO is an immigrant, however of European descent, and is completely clueless about the benefits of different perspectives and opinions from people of all backgrounds. People are jumping ship and people that are waiting for a vaccine for COVID are scouting new jobs.

Continue reading
  5. "Great Atmosphere. Great Company."

I have been working at LegalZoom full-time for more than a year

Pros

They really do try to help everyone be successful.

Cons

Can't think of any. I only left because I re-entered school. I would definitely go back and work there.

6. "Account Executive - Sales"

4.0
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX

I have been working at LegalZoom full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Culture and People, competitive pay for job expectations.

Cons

Being on the way to being public, there are a lot of changes and inconsistency in messaging and communication. (probably same for more organizations)

Continue reading

"False Promises Not Kept by New CEO"

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at LegalZoom full-time

Pros

-Amazing health insurance. -Nice facility with huge fitness center. -Free Bagels on Friday. -Nice coworkers who also suffer under the callousness of new CEO and C-Suite.

Cons

When I started Legalzoom well over a half a decade ago, it had a clear mission to help small business owners achieve their dreams. There were clear performance metrics in place that were customer-centric... that also allowed for sales people to make money but also help customers. You could feel good when you went to sleep at night and felt like you made a difference helping people solve complicated problems with affordable products. It was a beautiful thing and when I first started Legalzoom I thought it was the best company that I ever worked for. The culture was amazing, and people always smiled entering the building for the most part before their shift began grateful to be there. After at least two venture capital firms began infusing capital into Legalzoom in the past four years becoming major stakeholders, it has become a rudderless ship with no direction that only cares about profit to the point of very questionable business practices. No longer are the customers or employees a concern, just profit. To the point where it makes your stomach turn. The new CEO and COO took the helm in late 2019. Zoomers were really hopeful. Incredibly, they showed a huge grasp on what issues were facing the contact center and the customers biggest pain points. To the point where they met with each department and read intensive surveys we did. We thought things were going to truly get better. Boy were we wrong.... Customers are still getting hit with Registered Agent charges for 399 dollars with no prior notice during a deep recession. I have had customers tell me their rent checks bounce because of these very questionable billing practices. Might I add you that the original registered agent service the prior year was 159 that they signed up for. Customers have no clue they are going to be automatically re-billed at 399. We deal with these calls all day and the CEO said it would stop late last year. It hasn't. Shame on him. He told us that we were going to get performance incentives that rewarded us. That more senior reps should be rewarded for their tenure in compensation because they field more advanced and complicated calls. He failed on this promise too because ever since January during a borderline depression our goals on the sales floor have been more unattainable than ever. This means drastically less commission despite the fact that surprisingly our revenue as reps has not diminished significantly at all for what we bring into Legalzoom. They are just making the goals sky-high and unattainable to cut commission seemingly out of greed. This is despite the COO repeatedly assuring us he does not want to pay us less what a joke. The CEO/COO also said they want to make the sales floor and contact center more customer centric. It has gotten so much worse during their tenure. Sky-high sales goals, new quality assurance scorecards that make you a robot, and pressure of endless calls back to back with diminishing commission are making sales reps less customer focused.... more concerned about paying bills and hitting ridiculous sales targets to keep their jobs. Believe me the last thing on most reps' mind is serving the customer but paying their bills in the face of huge pay cuts. In fact, in March, where most American families live paycheck to paycheck... Legalzoom did not tell any of their sales reps or sales managers that they were not going to disburse bonuses on the 15th like every month until the 14th at around 4 o'clock early evening. They ended up being paid on the 17th, but the lack of communication was a giant middle finger to all the agents. It also did not help that they did not let us know our commissions until the 16th, and that they decided not to reduce goals significantly that agents had to hit amidst one of the biggest recessions in American history. This led to disappointing payouts as they made no adjustment for technological shortcomings in moving to a work from home ecosystem or from customers' reduced purchasing power. They just blamed sales agents for their lack of production. There is a joke on the sales floor that most reps would be making more on unemployment each week combined with the 600 dollar federal stimulus than from Legalzoom right now due to commission cuts. I guarantee you that most recent glassdoors that give glowing reviews are probably fake due to the fact in the past HR has been known to coach new hires into give glowing reviews while they are drinking the kool-aid. DO NOT WORK HERE. It is not worth the mental health issues or questioning your conscience in how they treat customers.

Continue reading

"Initially Appetizing, and Quickly Changes"

Former Employee - Account Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at LegalZoom full-time for more than a year

Pros

The interview and hiring process are great. They really sell the company with their little philosophy lesson about knowing 'Your Why'. The first few weeks in training and shadowing make the job seem great. The benefits are great. Bagel Fridays are cool. The parties are okay.

Cons

While they have a strong culture within the company, the dynamic comes to a quick halt. The company requires you to be on the phone or chat at ALL times. They will schedule "meetings" and things like that, but cancel them because everything is too busy. You don't really get much feedback or recognition unless you are lucky enough to pull off a one on one, or apply for another position. You can try and pull your boss aside, but MOST of the time there are "too many people in queue" and they leave before you get off. I know this wasn't my direct leadership's issue at the time, because they expressed their issues openly as well. It seems most people are miserable after the initial hiring is done. You are required to be on your computer so much that bathroom trips, or small breaks to reset can count against your goals (money). The leadership does tend to play favorites as well. They will pull people off of the phones and throw around a football or just joke around. That's also how you get promoted. It's a very toxic environment. Upon putting in my two weeks notice, some peers and my leadership also put theirs in. I also won a trip around the world worth $4,500 that this company WOULD NOT honor. I took forever for them to tell me how to use it. Then I tried to use it before I left, and HR would not get back to me about it at all. Ultimately I just put in my two weeks and said it wasn't worth the headache, which is DISGUSTING. as I was using it for my honeymooon. They taxed everyone on their gifts anyway. Why not just give it to me? So many empty promises with this company. All I wanted was what I was told I would get. The gift, but also the pay, schedule, and happiness that they pitched in the beginning.

9. COVID-19

"Legalzoom used to be a great place to work. Not anymore"

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at LegalZoom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

*Good, competitive health benefits *Well stocked office and new cafeteria *Teammates are great people

Cons

*Sales goals have been set at an unattainable level since the new C-team took over in December of 2019. Goals are now being adjusted upwards in the middle of the month, some teams having goals increased as much as 30% during the current global pandemic. *Technological limitations hinder the ability to be productive. Slow and outdated data systems prevent maximum efficiency, and the horrendous phone system leads to multiple dropped calls and terrible call quality. *Management has become write-up happy and are searching for reasons to push experienced reps out of the door. Any minor infraction is immediately written up. Make sure to stay on script and do not take too much time in the restroom. Heaven help you if you get sick and miss significant time. *Legalzoom has the highest prices in the industry, and have also increased prices during the pandemic. One subscription service, for instance, has been increased to $249 for one product line while the same service is listed at $159 for other products. This is viewable on the website under each product line. This is one of many examples of inconsistent pricing and service. This can be viewed online as you proceed through each product questionnaire. *Culture has been deteriorating for years and there is no accountability. There are a lot of interdepartmental feuds and reps are not held accountable for the treatment of customers, or stealing orders from other reps. It is now common to see colleagues crying at their desk, give up and start looking for a new job while at work while waiting to be fired. *Management could not be less interested in developing new leadership. Unless you are in the same clique as management it will be impossible to move up. It is a classic good old boys club. *The company is pushing employees to the point of burn out. Paid time of is accrued but reps are discouraged from taking vacation. Doing so will put you in a position to not reach your monthly goal and thus, written up. Teams are only allowed a certain number of people off at any given time. so make sure you to submit your vacation time months in advance if you are looking to have it approved. *Senior management has openly dismissed and ignored employees when they have voiced their concerns. The prominent attitude is that representatives should be lucky they are allowed to work for Legalzoom, and the turnover rate is reflective of that lack of regard for employee satisfaction. *Upon stepping into his role, Legalzoom's new CEO made several promises to improve culture, morale, and compensation. The exact opposite has happened during the first half of 2020. Whether this is his doing, or if is not aware of his subordinates are running their teams if a question I can't answer. However, the impact on company morale has been greatly negative.

Continue reading

"Stay away unless you don't want support from impotent leadership."

I worked at LegalZoom

Pros

Good training and insurance plan.

Cons

The complete and utter lack of support from leadership. Between being berated and held accountable for things that weren't my fault and improper guidance it's a wonder they are still open. Also there is an issue with hidden fees for customers.

Found 308 reviews