LegalZoom Reviews | Glassdoor

LegalZoom Reviews

Updated January 10, 2019

John Suh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Bagels on Friday, Portos once a month; bringing in healthier food and drink options" (in 33 reviews)

• "Carnival day, cake day, free bagels, karaoke, golf tournaments, kickball, company Olympics, and much more" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "They are a churn and burn call center who have stopped putting their customers and employees first" (in 14 reviews)

• "Turning into more of a customer care role rather than sales" (in 9 reviews)

1. "Love it"

Pros

Great place no doubt absolutely love this place.

Cons

There is nothing that resembles a con at this place

"DON'T DO IT"

Former Employee - Sales in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I worked at LegalZoom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gym. Food Market. A few employees....

Cons

I think this box is too small to list allllll the things wrong with this company. Your commission is based on 'points'. So you can hit your revenue goal but not your points goal and still get written up. Their management SUCKS. They promote without training. Complaints, upon complaints, upon complaints are given to HR and nothing is ever done about them. Reps who steal orders are not given any repercussions, so they keep doing it. Reps who cheat aren't reprimanded or, how about, FIRED. You should get fired for cheating, it's unethical. I'm aware of managers arrested for drugs but don't worry, they didn't get fired, they got promoted! Management could care less and they promote people based on who hangs out with them and plays golf and basketball. Not who actually applied for the position and worked their butt off to jump through the hoops they were told to. No, those guys, they got screwed over. Someone promoted without even having to go through the proper application process. Every single day they show their employees how little they mean to them.

Eventually they'll run all their employees off. Hard to run a business without employees. I sure hope they get what's coming to them. You can't continue to treat employees like care and keep them.

Advice to Management

Get new managers. Treat your employees like you care they're there. Punish the people who are unethical and cheaters. Reprimand people who steal orders. Show your employees you want to keep them. Stop playing favorites. Start promoting people who can actually manage people not just people who fell into the role . Just because they were there first DOES NOT mean they are the right people to manage others. Look at team dynamics. Look at complaints. If there are a lot of complaints from the team it's probably the management, duh. And do something about it.

"Decent company to work for, but..."

I have been working at LegalZoom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Employee Engagement
    -Company Culture
    -Colleague Collaboration
    -Corporate Learning
    -Food

LegalZoom does a good job of trying to keep people happy. I believe they truly care about their employees (most of management) and they will do their best to keep employee morale high.

Cons

-Greedy Company
    -No Transparency
    -Lazy Management
    -Politics

I have never seen a company so greedy for money without trying to improve customer service first. They have a great brand, but this all they rely on to remain as a leader in the industry. Eventually, I suspect that the market will realize other companies that truly care about their customers first and it will be impossible for LegalZoom to compete. They have dug themselves a hole so deep, all they can focus on is how they can squeeze another dollar (or $300) from each customer.

Advice to Management

If you keep your customers happy, your employee morale will improve naturally. Think about the next major decision you will make in this order:

1. Will this truly improve CSAT (don't hypothesize, but test this with a decent sample size)?
    2. How will this affect employees?
    3. How will we be able to capitalize financially?
    4. How will we be able to communicate this change correctly?

Customer satisfaction will eventually outweigh the brand recognition...

"Unfair Treatmeant!"

Current Employee - Shipping and Receiving in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Shipping and Receiving in Glendale, CA

I have been working at LegalZoom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food, but I'm about tired of eating pizza and Thai.

Cons

LegalZoom doesn't treat ALL their department employees fair!

Advice to Management

Working for LegalZoom is perfect if you don't like your family and you want to get away from your family working long exhausting hours and holidays.

I thought it was very disrespectful to us make our department work on New Year's Eve while the ENTIRE company had the day off enjoying their freedom.
    That's not fair to our department. We are the hardest working department sacrificing our most weekends and just about all major holidays in order for customers orders to ship out. Such as New Year's Eve.

We are already underpaid, there's no need to treats us like dirty face peasants.

As usual, the department slaves were working on New Year's Eve, and 0 employees present from different departments. Our department lunch was the usual, pizza and wings, a common meal big enough to feed poor dirty face peasants. The entire office was a ghost town of empty cubicles as I walked down the halls. I wish I wasn't at work that day.

To put us down more emotionally both two other departments left before the hardest working slave department. LegalZoom is cruel and evil having us work New Year's Eve. But LegalZoom doesn't care! They are driven by selfish greed! LZ is a modern day corporate abuse slave ship. It's more important orders are shipping out to meet our end of the month and end of the year totals than to be fair allowing the dirty face peasants have the day off.

Why can't we be treated fair like all other departments for once?
    Will these same teams be the Only teams working on New Year's Eve December 2019?

5. "Great pay if your top 5"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at LegalZoom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Inbound calls, laid back, no micromanagement. You can be at the bottom and still make 60k/year barely working. If you're a top performer, you can make over 6 figures, working 40 hours a week taking 30 calls a day. It's insane.

Cons

Lots of miscommunication. Changes in company not necessarily helpful. Commissions get lowered after people start making too much. Turning into more of a customer care role rather than sales. Investors now control entire operations.

Advice to Management

Listen to your sales reps. No one is happy with changes being made. Will hurt performance and drive people out. People like, your top 10 performers.

"You Shouldn't Work Here Any Longer Than 12 Months"

Current Employee - Senior File Clerk in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior File Clerk in Glendale, CA

I have been working at LegalZoom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The job is stable as long as you don’t screw up. Such as mixing customers files, personal information, or shipping the customer someone else's documents or even shipping the customer their own documents along with someone else's documents! Or provide inaccurate information over the phone to the customer. Remember, we are NOT a law firm; so we cannot give legal advice.

Cons

This company is a steppingstone to get paid; it is not your second home. I wouldn't suggest working here longer than 12 months, the yearly raise increases are not enough to survive while working in a peasant position such as customer service, legal document processing, print, shipping, H.A.(Holding Area), and R.A. (Register Agent).

Advice to Management

Legalzoom.com has been in business 15 years but we still had start-up policies as if we've been in business less than 5 years. CA law requires employees to clock in and clock out using ADP. From our starting shifts, meal breaks, and ending shifts. As of Monday 8/6/18, ADP has an upgraded and we are going forward with the new policy. I’m surprised there hasn't been a CA employee who got CA laws involved over this 15 years ago. People were taking lunches AFTER their 5th hour. For the past 15 years company peasants were required to send a check in / checkout email to their lead and direct manager. In the subject bar, you'd write START TIME 9:30 AM and ending shifts you would attach your productivity for that day and send it to your lead and direct manager. As we have ADP as our check in and check out system peasants are still required to attached their production totals to an email and send it to management at the end of their shift. Micromanagement is very real at Legalzoom.com for peasants (Hard eye-roll)

Monthly department meetings are totally unnecessary! Within each department meeting, you will witness each peasant's eyes glued to their cell phone or sitting close to a colleague whispering among themselves as entertainment until the useless meeting has passed. Department meetings should be outsourced for peasants. All the department peasants could care less if the customer is satisfied with our products, service, and experience. If a customer is satisfied or dissatisfied they will share their positive / negative experience regardless. Customer's ratio to refer our products and services can be sent by email. Better yet, this is something our marketing team or legal team should be discussing among themselves.

STARTING PAY -

You're making $13.00 an hour if you’re hired by a temp agency. BEWARE, if you’re employed by a temp agency expect to be hired by the company in 12 months. That's too LONG of a wait if you need medical benefits sooner. Starting pay directly through LZ is $15.00 hourly with yearly increases of 1%, 2%, or 3% raises.

The company does not allow employees to cash in their vacation balance for cash unless it’s absolutely an emergency. Examples include an eviction notice on your apartment door or a ex-girlfriend / ex-boyfriend who doesn't take rejection well and you have to move immediately. In either case, you would have to provide proof of documentation to our Human Resources Department of the police report before your vacation balance is turned over to you. Our sick time cap is 48 hours and our vacation balance cap is 269 hours. Should you get fired, quit, or laid off, your sick time is not awarded to you in your final check. Either you use them or you lose them.

Every Friday is bagel Friday, which I could go without. It's also handy when you're on a budget and starving.

While working a peasant position we are working Martin Luther King Day and President's Day with Memorial Day off. Independence day is kind of tricky... If Independence Day falls on let's say a Tuesday, we are working a 6-hour shift on Monday the 3rd. With that said, we return to work that Wednesday the 5th during your normal shift. Let's not forget about Labor Day, We are working normal schedules. The day of Thanksgiving and the day after we are closed. Christmas Eve, we work 8-hour shifts (call in sick if you don't want to be there.) New Year Eve we work 8-hour shifts (call in sick if you don't want to be there.)

Company Christmas Party-

If you work in a peasant position we work 6-hours and your team manager cuts you loose.

Christmas Bonus -

All peasants receive a $250 gift card along with a Christmas card saying "Thank you for all your hard work". I'm not ungrateful; What bothers me is, peasants who started working for the company 2 years AFTER ME receive that same $250.00 bonus I'm receiving. No matter the length of your employment all peasants receive the same amount of money as a Christmas bonus.

Team Work-

There's no such thing at this company. Expect the work to pile up while you're away on vacation, or out sick.

Every day feels likes it's your last day working there if you make one mistake management will write you up or fire you. When you make a mistake expect a meeting with your direct manager along with the 2nd meeting with your manager reminding you of your screw up and possibly a 3rd meeting so you can lash out at them verbally and get yourself fired and denied your unemployment :-) Isn’t that considered badgering?

As a "Thank You" for all your hard work during busy starting quarters and closing quarters, we are thanked with a lunch dedicated to the entire company or a department lunch, or team lunch. As a "Thank You", I need money not a free meal.

If you are fired, laid off, or quit, your position will be replaced in Austin, Texas. When LegalZoom.com has enough employees in a team or department in Austin, TX our CA departments will be outsource. You're a foolish person if you do not believe what I wrote.

I don't understand why LZ has legal document processors and customer service reps in CA! One of the Big Bosses who oversees our entire department should have laid off our teams long time ago. I once asked my direct manager if he could lay me off too during the 2013 layoffs and he told me no. Yes, I was upset because I was rejected.

Yearly anniversary lunches are my favorites! Accept the invitation and don't attend the lunch. You'll have a 2-hour lunch for yourself.

LegalZoom Response

Jan 10, 2019 – Director, HR

Hi, and thank you for your candid feedback. As every Zoomer knows, People First is one of our values, and we take that seriously. Your happiness and success mean a lot to us, and we hope we can have... More

"A Third World company culture in IT"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I worked at LegalZoom full-time

Pros

Some really cool people work here. Too bad, they are fleeing the company.
    They do some company-wide entertaining events from time to time, which is good.
    They have bagels and cakes from time to time.

Cons

Where do I start?
    The management.
    Most of these guys shouldn't be managing anyone, they are just worst that can possibly be. It may seem at first that they are just strict and want a better performance, but after some time you understand that they simply want your failure.
    You are just setup for a failure here.
    You delivered a good project? Few bad things will be pointed out about it and you will have an ugly conversation with your manager about how you must do better next time, because this is not acceptable.
    You delivered a project that really had some issues that need to be fixed? You will be publicly bashed and humiliated.
    I see this general pattern among many managers here, that they manage not by trying to motivate you, but by making you feel bad about your performence.

Company is understaffed, as a result, employees are overloaded with work. You need to put at least 50 hours of work in a week in order to deliever everything they are expecting you to, because if you don't... read the first part.

The work is organized inefficiently. Most of the tasks (stories) that you receive are just not workable and not properly planned, have a lot of dependencies, yet they are still handed to you.

Extremely high turnover rate. I've known some people who quit after 3 to 6 months. The vast majority is leaving between a year and 2 months and a year and 6 months. Most of the employees there are either with an H1B visa or contractors.

Advice to Management

There are some nice folks among you, how come you don't see what's happening in IT? So many great people left in past few years, don't you realize how badly it is going to impact the quality of your products? So many of your managers are just bullying their employees and no one even pays attention to it as long as these bullies can squeeze out few extra hours of work out of people? Don't you remember the great culture that we had?

8. "Current Employee"

I have been working at LegalZoom full-time

Pros

Bagel Fridays, Gym, Great Vision

Cons

Fast-pace environment hinders quality control

"Bad Company With Bad culture"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Glendale, CA

I worked at LegalZoom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free bagels on Fridays and gym.

Cons

I worked here as a software engineer in IT department.

After three months starting with this company, I had to quit my job. LegalZoom was the worst experience I have ever had.

Very toxic environment with rude leadership. There are more managers than developers.
    The favoritism is in its highest level, if you are not a YES person then most probably you won’t survive.
    Its spouse to be an agile environment but no retrospective at the end of the sprint so you have no way of bringing up issues that impacted your work (agile 101). And if you dare to talk about them on the standups you will be shot down.

Sprint planning is a jock, most of the stories are not clear and ready for the sprint but they are there anyway. No clear explanation about what the story is about and why. Note, you cannot do any real story time estimations, so most of them go with point 5 as default 😊

Incompetent tech leads; any suggestions for improvements or following simple industry standards will be ignored or taken as a threat against their persona/position. If you keep bringing them up anyway since you get tired of fixing the same bugs over and over systematically, they will gang up against you and accuse you in all sorts of things.

My advice to you stay away from this place … for me it was a waste of time, but I learned one thing though, this kind of place exist ☹

Advice to Management

What’s the point? No one listens anyway.

"Technology Lacks"

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Glendale, CA

I worked at LegalZoom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work if you love toxic environments, incompetent leadership, dislike salary increases/promotions, enjoy a Tech group that lacks diversity and micromanages you.

Cons

Turnover is very high in the Technology group and the clueless Company Leaders, who are always bickering with each other, do not care because the company is very profitable. Tech’s vision is non existent and command and control exists like it’s a third world country. Tech has an old school style and still believes in delivering software with waterfall methodologies. What? The top down culture is about throwing others under the bus, giving people an enormous workload and then attack them about not getting their work done. As a result, delivery services enforces a very toxic culture and people, in masses, are leaving on a weekly basis. Wake up Legalzoom. Turnover is very costly - lost tribal knowledge + heavy replacement costs. Just look at how long it’s taken to fill the positions in Tech. The same positions have been open for months and months. Employees, past and present, bring up their concerns about the way they are treated by Tech to HR but let’s remember HR is paid by LegalZoom so they are reduced to being note takers of complaints, which end up “filed” away, aka trash bin.

Advice to Management

LegalZoom is suppose to be an innovative technology company - a disruptor of a slow moving legal industry. Why is the technology group using outdated methodologies and running like a large corporate company from the 1970’s, slow moving and full of unnecessary bureaucracy. This is not Experian. How many new products have been released in the last year? Not many. Don’t need to look too deep. Change is needed.
    Promote people who deserve it and be more generous-the company is very profitable. The company is doing great because of all the worker bees. Don’t be afraid to let people in leadership positions go who are not producing better results and not treating people ethically. The board will thank you because the company will make more money.