LegalZoom Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
John Suh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Bagels on Friday, Portos once a month; bringing in healthier food and drink options" (in 33 reviews)

• "Carnival day, cake day, free bagels, karaoke, golf tournaments, kickball, company Olympics, and much more" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "They are a churn and burn call center who have stopped putting their customers and employees first" (in 14 reviews)

• "The holiday party I mentioned although they may be fun, are tainted by belligerent drunk upper management/directors/employees who are hammered" (in 8 reviews)

1. "Just what I needed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at LegalZoom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Where do I start. I the ability to grow on my own timeline and not feel overwhelmed or obligated to take on tasks I'm not ready for. This is the first big company I have ever worked for and it still feels like a small family. There are always fun events happening on the floor.

Cons

We run out of milk sometimes.... yes you read that correct. I'm a pretty positive person and I look at things from all views before I try to judge something. This is a company. There are going to be some things that make negative people upset. Overall its a great company though.

2. "Love it"

Pros

Great place no doubt absolutely love this place.

Cons

There is nothing that resembles a con at this place

3. "Current Employee"

I have been working at LegalZoom full-time

Pros

Bagel Fridays, Gym, Great Vision

Cons

Fast-pace environment hinders quality control

"Bad Company With Bad culture"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Glendale, CA

I worked at LegalZoom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free bagels on Fridays and gym.

Cons

I worked here as a software engineer in IT department.

After three months starting with this company, I had to quit my job. LegalZoom was the worst experience I have ever had.

Very toxic environment with rude leadership. There are more managers than developers.
    The favoritism is in its highest level, if you are not a YES person then most probably you won’t survive.
    Its spouse to be an agile environment but no retrospective at the end of the sprint so you have no way of bringing up issues that impacted your work (agile 101). And if you dare to talk about them on the standups you will be shot down.

Sprint planning is a jock, most of the stories are not clear and ready for the sprint but they are there anyway. No clear explanation about what the story is about and why. Note, you cannot do any real story time estimations, so most of them go with point 5 as default 😊

Incompetent tech leads; any suggestions for improvements or following simple industry standards will be ignored or taken as a threat against their persona/position. If you keep bringing them up anyway since you get tired of fixing the same bugs over and over systematically, they will gang up against you and accuse you in all sorts of things.

My advice to you stay away from this place … for me it was a waste of time, but I learned one thing though, this kind of place exist ☹

Advice to Management

What’s the point? No one listens anyway.

"Technology Lacks"

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Glendale, CA

I worked at LegalZoom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work if you love toxic environments, incompetent leadership, dislike salary increases/promotions, enjoy a Tech group that lacks diversity and micromanages you.

Cons

Turnover is very high in the Technology group and the clueless Company Leaders, who are always bickering with each other, do not care because the company is very profitable. Tech’s vision is non existent and command and control exists like it’s a third world country. Tech has an old school style and still believes in delivering software with waterfall methodologies. What? The top down culture is about throwing others under the bus, giving people an enormous workload and then attack them about not getting their work done. As a result, delivery services enforces a very toxic culture and people, in masses, are leaving on a weekly basis. Wake up Legalzoom. Turnover is very costly - lost tribal knowledge + heavy replacement costs. Just look at how long it’s taken to fill the positions in Tech. The same positions have been open for months and months. Employees, past and present, bring up their concerns about the way they are treated by Tech to HR but let’s remember HR is paid by LegalZoom so they are reduced to being note takers of complaints, which end up “filed” away, aka trash bin.

Advice to Management

LegalZoom is suppose to be an innovative technology company - a disruptor of a slow moving legal industry. Why is the technology group using outdated methodologies and running like a large corporate company from the 1970’s, slow moving and full of unnecessary bureaucracy. This is not Experian. How many new products have been released in the last year? Not many. Don’t need to look too deep. Change is needed.
    Promote people who deserve it and be more generous-the company is very profitable. The company is doing great because of all the worker bees. Don’t be afraid to let people in leadership positions go who are not producing better results and not treating people ethically. The board will thank you because the company will make more money.

6. "Haven't been here too long, but so far I got nothing but good things to say"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I have been working at LegalZoom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

DISCLAIMER: This is my first 'corporate' job, my decade long career background is from start-ups and small businesses, so maybe my opinion is biased or i've been jaded from past employers, that being said:

• Awesome, friendly staff and coworkers (but i hear every department is different)
    • Various/Great benefits health, dental, vision, lots of events, sweet perks, kitchen(s), yummy coffee, cool unique benifits/perks (better than any of my employers in the past)
    • Work environment, workload, work/life balance, job duties, freedom of moving around the space- all of it is so enjoyable (i'm used to everything being on fire and high stress level job environments)
    • It is a Corporate structure, HOWEVER- it still feels like a tech startup, I truly feel like the higher ups try their best to maintain that fun/friendly/free vibe here. For that, i'm grateful.
    • You're in the heart of Glendale.... come on- the views are amazing, everything is close by, you park in a free parking structure, you have your own badge to scan in- you're basically living like James Bond. What's there not to like.

Cons

• I haven't been here too long yet, so maybe i'm still in the butterfly phase, time will tell.
    • IT department, as is the running joke with any job, is slow moving, some-what attitude-ee, and takes far too long to achieve a menial task. (but again, this is the same in almost any company i've worked at).
    • It is a corporate environment, so in general it's a slow moving machine, which is more just a nature of the beast kind of thing.

Advice to Management

no advice yet!

7. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at LegalZoom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are lots of activities

Cons

A lot of favoritism goes on

8. "Great vibe and employees"

I have been working at LegalZoom full-time

Pros

99.98% of the employees are genuinely friendly and nice

Cons

Tight on space, most of the help desk tech people are not the nicest or helpful

Advice to Management

Provide better & clearer training

9. "Legal clerk"

I worked at LegalZoom full-time

Pros

very friendly and nice place to work

Cons

insufficient wages and rude supervisors

"If you like to be micro-managed, this is the place for you!"

I have been working at LegalZoom full-time

Pros

Fun culture, cool people, awesome gym, cool building/workspace, good benefits

Cons

Management sucks. Popularity gets promoted. Unflexible with schedule. Micro managed in every aspect