LegalZoom Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
John Suh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Bagels on Friday, Portos once a month; bringing in healthier food and drink options" (in 31 reviews)

• "Carnival day, cake day, free bagels, karaoke, golf tournaments, kickball, company Olympics, and much more" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "They are a churn and burn call center who have stopped putting their customers and employees first" (in 14 reviews)

• "The holiday party I mentioned although they may be fun, are tainted by belligerent drunk upper management/directors/employees who are hammered" (in 8 reviews)

1. "Just what I needed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at LegalZoom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Where do I start. I the ability to grow on my own timeline and not feel overwhelmed or obligated to take on tasks I'm not ready for. This is the first big company I have ever worked for and it still feels like a small family. There are always fun events happening on the floor.

Cons

We run out of milk sometimes.... yes you read that correct. I'm a pretty positive person and I look at things from all views before I try to judge something. This is a company. There are going to be some things that make negative people upset. Overall its a great company though.

2. "Haven't been here too long, but so far I got nothing but good things to say"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I have been working at LegalZoom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

DISCLAIMER: This is my first 'corporate' job, my decade long career background is from start-ups and small businesses, so maybe my opinion is biased or i've been jaded from past employers, that being said:

• Awesome, friendly staff and coworkers (but i hear every department is different)
    • Various/Great benefits health, dental, vision, lots of events, sweet perks, kitchen(s), yummy coffee, cool unique benifits/perks (better than any of my employers in the past)
    • Work environment, workload, work/life balance, job duties, freedom of moving around the space- all of it is so enjoyable (i'm used to everything being on fire and high stress level job environments)
    • It is a Corporate structure, HOWEVER- it still feels like a tech startup, I truly feel like the higher ups try their best to maintain that fun/friendly/free vibe here. For that, i'm grateful.
    • You're in the heart of Glendale.... come on- the views are amazing, everything is close by, you park in a free parking structure, you have your own badge to scan in- you're basically living like James Bond. What's there not to like.

Cons

• I haven't been here too long yet, so maybe i'm still in the butterfly phase, time will tell.
    • IT department, as is the running joke with any job, is slow moving, some-what attitude-ee, and takes far too long to achieve a menial task. (but again, this is the same in almost any company i've worked at).
    • It is a corporate environment, so in general it's a slow moving machine, which is more just a nature of the beast kind of thing.

Advice to Management

no advice yet!

3. "Great vibe and employees"

I have been working at LegalZoom full-time

Pros

99.98% of the employees are genuinely friendly and nice

Cons

Tight on space, most of the help desk tech people are not the nicest or helpful

Advice to Management

Provide better & clearer training

4. "Legal clerk"

I worked at LegalZoom full-time

Pros

very friendly and nice place to work

Cons

insufficient wages and rude supervisors

5. "If you like to be micro-managed, this is the place for you!"

I have been working at LegalZoom full-time

Pros

Fun culture, cool people, awesome gym, cool building/workspace, good benefits

Cons

Management sucks. Popularity gets promoted. Unflexible with schedule. Micro managed in every aspect

6. "SALES rep"

I have been working at LegalZoom full-time

Pros

flexibility, pay, environment, culture, location

Cons

no availability to move up in company

Advice to Management

let those who make the highest revenue get a certain percentage of such

"I Wouldn't Suggest Working Here Longer Than 12 Months"

Current Employee - Legal Document Preparation Specialist in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Legal Document Preparation Specialist in Glendale, CA

I have been working at LegalZoom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The job is stable as long as you don’t screw up anything. Such as mixing customers files via emails or system tools, personal information, or shipping the customer someone else's documents or even shipping the customer their own documents along with someone else's documents! Or provide inaccurate information over the phone to the customer. Remember, we are NOT a law firm; so we cannot give legal advice.

Cons

This company is a steppingstone to get paid; it is not your second home. I wouldn't suggest working here longer than 12 months, the yearly raise increases are not enough to survive while working in a peasant position such as customer service, legal document processing, print, shipping, H.A.(Holding Area), and R.A. (Register Agent).

Advice to Management

Legalzoom.com has been in business 15 years but we still had start-up policies as if we've been in business less than 5 years. CA law requires employees to clock in and clock out using ADP. From our starting shifts, meal breaks, and ending shifts. As of Monday 8/6/18, ADP has an upgraded and we are going forward with the new policy. I’m surprised there hasn't been a CA employee who got CA laws involved over this 15 years ago. People were taking lunches AFTER their 5th hour. For the past 15 years company peasants were required to send a check in / checkout email to their lead and direct manager. In the subject bar, you'd write START TIME 9:30 AM and ending shifts you would attach your productivity for that day and send it to your lead and direct manager. As we have ADP as our check in and check out system peasants are still required to attached their production totals to an email and send it to management at the end of their shift. Micromanagement is very real at Legalzoom.com for peasants (Hard eye-roll)

Monthly department meetings are totally unnecessary! Within each department meeting, you will witness each peasant's eyes glued to their cell phone or sitting close to a colleague whispering among themselves as entertainment until the useless meeting has passed. Department meetings should be outsourced for peasants. All department peasants could care less if the customer is satisfied with our products, service, and experience. If customers are satisfied or dissatisfied they will share their positive / negative experience regardless. This type of information should be sent via email.

STARTING PAY -

You're making $13.00 an hour if you’re hired by a temp agency. BEWARE, if you’re employed by a temp agency expect to be hired by the company in 12 months. That's too LONG of a wait if you need medical benefits sooner. Starting pay directly through LZ is $15.00 hourly with yearly increases of 1%, 2%, or 3% raises.

The company does not allow employees to cash in their vacation balance for cash unless it’s absolutely an emergency. Examples include an eviction notice on your apartment door or a ex-girlfriend / ex-boyfriend who doesn't take rejection well and you have to move immediately. In either case, you would have to provide proof of documentation to our correct authority department of the police report before your vacation balance is turned over to you. Our sick time cap is 48 hours and our vacation balance cap is 269 hours. Should you get fired, quit, or laid off, your sick time is not awarded to you in your final check. Either you use them or you lose them.

Every Friday is bagel Friday, which I could go without. It's also handy when you're on a budget and starving.

While working a peasant position we are working Martin Luther King Day and President's Day with Memorial Day off. Independence day is kind of tricky... If Independence Day falls on let's say a Tuesday, we are working a 6-hour shift on Monday the 3rd. With that said, we return to work that Wednesday the 5th during your normal shift. Let's not forget about Labor Day, We are working normal schedules. The day of Thanksgiving and the day after we are closed. Christmas Eve, we work 8-hour shifts (call in sick if you don't want to be there.) New Year Eve we work 8-hour shifts (call in sick if you don't want to be there.)

Company Christmas Party-

If you work in a peasant position we work 6-hours and your team manager cuts you loose.

Christmas Bonus -

All peasants receive a $250 gift card along with a Christmas card saying "Thank you for all your hard work". I'm not ungrateful; What bothers me is, peasants who started working for the company 2 years AFTER ME receive that same $250.00 bonus I'm receiving. No matter the length of your employment all peasants receive the same amount of money as a Christmas bonus.

Team Work-

There's no such thing at this company. Expect the work to pile up while you're away on vacation, or out sick.

Every day feels likes it's your last day working there if you make one mistake management will write you up or fire you. When you make a mistake expect a meeting with your direct manager along with the 2nd meeting with your manager reminding you of your screw up and possibly a 3rd meeting so you can lash out at them verbally and get yourself fired and denied your unemployment :-) Isn’t that considered badgering?

As a "Thank You" for all your hard work during busy starting quarters and closing quarters, we are thanked with a lunch dedicated to the entire company or a department lunch, or team lunch. As a "Thank You", I need money not a free meal.

If you are fired, laid off, or quit, your position will be replaced in Austin, Texas. When LegalZoom.com has enough employees in a team or department in Austin, TX our CA departments will be outsource. You're a foolish person if you do not believe what I wrote.

I don't understand why LZ has legal document processors and customer service reps in CA! One of the Big Bosses who oversees our entire department should have laid off our teams long time ago. I once asked my direct manager if he could lay me off too during the 2013 layoffs and he told me no. Yes, I was upset because I was rejected.

Yearly anniversary lunches are my favorites! Accept the invitation and don't attend the lunch. You'll have a 2-hour lunch for yourself.

"Hello LegalZoom, 1970 called and wants their IT managers back"

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Austin, TX

I worked at LegalZoom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dedicated front line IT professionals.

Cons

Very poor IT management. No adherence to standard IT practices. Reliance on software that is old and outdated. Not enough IT staff. Managers adept at making excuses and evading issues rather than solving problems. No performance reviews.

Advice to Management

Overhaul the middle to upper layer of management and bring in competent people with strong track records of performance in solid ITShops. Then listen to them and not rely on the old guard who got you into the state you are in.

9. "Pretty Good"

Current Employee - Document Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Document Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at LegalZoom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good.
    Work Atmosphere is friendly and helpful.
    Can listen to music all day.

Cons

Maybe pay? Not really much that bad here.

Advice to Management

Management is doing well, in my opinion

10. "Former Employee"

I worked at LegalZoom full-time

Pros

Great company and business model combined with great culture

Cons

Nothing meaningful comes to mind. To management, all the best and thanks for a great experience