LegalZoom Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 8, 2017

2.0
John Suh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Bagels on Friday, Portos once a month; bringing in healthier food and drink options (in 29 reviews)

• Carnival day, cake day, free bagels, karaoke, golf tournaments, kickball, company Olympics, and much more (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Different call center, same story (in 13 reviews)

• There is no such thing as work-life balance here you will be asked to work over time, which is great right (in 5 reviews)

"Was Great.....Not Anymore"

Former Employee - Lead Document Specialist (Cali & TX) in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Lead Document Specialist (Cali & TX) in Austin, TX

I worked at LegalZoom full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Learn a great deal about legal documents, casual dress code, small perks (free coffee, birthday cake, on-site gym, great co-workers, and fun holiday parties.

Cons

I started with the company in 2006 located in Hollywood. Much smaller in size but we all were like family. In 2010 I volunteered to relocate to Austin, TX. Those who transferred were promised management positions after 1 year. That did not happen. All of us were passed up for promotions and worked for new managers from outside the company. Why? Most likely because they could pay Austinites way less. I didn't believe that ideology was fair.

Fast forward 2 more years, moved to a secondary temp location off Research before the huge campus. Managers still did not possess interpersonal skills and felt threatened by their 5 + years experienced leads and subordinates. This caused targets to be put on subordinates' backs if said employees did not choose to brown nose. I had the target on my back. My performance was great each year, a preferred trainer of the department's products, well-liked by so many (including executive team), and kept the department motivated. Unfortunately, by year 4 in TX, I was unoticeably miserable.

My manager kept their mark on me, created a hostile work environment, and I had no protection or support from directors and HR. LZ no longer was a fun place to work and I felt like I was being treated like a criminal.

After a total of 10 years with the company, I was handed my severance package (which wasn't much $5k), and was told they didn't think my goals were the same as the company's. Honestly, it was the moment I was waiting for. I applied for unemployment and the unemployment officer told me that my manager stated the reason I was terminated was because I made everyone around me uncomfortable. My jaw dropped and told him that was untrue and gave the details of my severance and what was written on the "lay-off" letter I received. I was granted unemployment on the spot.

Why lie to unemployment about the reasons you let go an employee? Not to pay UI benefits? Terrible.

Advice to Management

Give deserving employees a greater chance to promote within and provide continuous management training. Listen to all employees concerns and be proactive in resolving issues. Moral is supremely low, so please build people up and keep them happy.

"LegalZoom used to be a great place to work...not anymore."

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at LegalZoom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people. You learn a lot about the legal industry at LegalZoom.

Cons

I started at LegalZoom 5 years ago. At that time, LegalZoom was a wonderful place t work. Great management, great culture. Unfortunately, the company has changed over the past 2 - 3 years. After receiving a large amount of funding from a new investor, the company began to shift into more of a cutthroat corporate culture.

Previously, employees were treated as if they mattered; now it seems the company only views them as resources to be exploited. On the sales floor, representatives were given a fair chance to maximize their income. Earning a healthy bonus was possible if you were willing to work hard. Then, they revamped the bonus structure a little over a year ago, making it far more difficult to earn the amount of sales needed to receive a full bonus. To make things more difficult, they began allowing overtime only to those who were already higher in the rankings -- more time on the phones means more sales. The result? The employees who were struggling to rank higher were given yet another obstacle to overcome because only certain reps would get the advantage of more phone time.

I heard that they recently changed the bonus structure again, twice. These changes are prompting more employees to jump ship -- as they should. Not only has the bonus structure been changed to make it more difficult to earn a decent income, the company has also laid off a large number of employees since the beginning of this year. Combined with the fact that many reps are micromanaged, this is creating an atmosphere that most would not want to experience on a daily basis. It is not surprising that so many employees are looking elsewhere for employment.

The lack of upward mobility is also an important factor. Simply put: it is excessively difficult to move into management. Many of the promotions seem to be purely political decisions; one has to know how to "play the game" to get ahead. Office politics is present in every organization to a certain extent. However, at LegalZoom there are many instances when politics is more important than actual talent or ability. If you are considering working for this company, do not expect career advancement. It is best to use the experience you will gain to move into another role at a company where you can achieve your career goals.

LegalZoom's current culture is the type that they have tried to avoid for years. Regrettably, they have become exactly what they did not originally want to become. Hopefully, they will learn from their mistakes before it is too late.

Advice to Management

I recognize that managing a growing company is not easy -- but you will not achieve growth if you continue to take actions that make life harder for your employees. Go back to the principles that made LegalZoom a success in the first place. Invest in the people you hire. When the company has a culture and atmosphere that your employees enjoy, you will attract more talent.

"It CAN be better, but it doesn't seem like it can"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Bagels
    Pretty okay restaurants place nearby
    Co-workers are cool and fun
    The company's existence helps so many people which I think is great and important for me to be in

Cons

Not a great pay for the work that is done
    Possibility of a raise seems impossible

Advice to Management

There must be something wrong with the system since we all notice a lot of people voluntarily leaving. It being a company that focuses on servicing people, the company should also take care of their people who make it happen.

LegalZoom Response

Dec 12, 2016

Glad you are having fun and appreciate the services and products we provide. As with every company, people leave for a variety of reasons, but we are happy to say that we enjoy a steady increase in... More

"Not recommended unless you're desperate for employment"

Pros

The people at the core of this company are fantastic. Big, open hearts all around.

Cons

Low pay. Location is located in Cedar Park; traffic is unavoidable and the location is inconvenient for anyone actually living in Austin. Sterile corporate culture. Remarkably small opportunity for career advancement.

Advice to Management

Properly staff your teams, and ensure that the people you promote are actually leadership material. When I left, more than half of my team had voluntarily left as well. The reasons were the same for everyone on the legal document processing team: the number of job duties increased exponentially while compensation stagnated and relationships with management were strained or non-existent.
    Senior members of the team (solid contributors for 5+ years) were often passed up for promotions while less experienced employees from outside the team were offered leadership and management opportunities. This culminated in a situation where leadership was far less familiar with the products/processes and would rely on subordinates to lead training, contribute to higher-level product improvement, problem order resolution, automation testing, etc, all in addition to their regular job duties. All the while, leaders were under no obligation to actually learn or interact with the product themselves.
    In my final week at the company I fell ill and had to miss work. When I returned, a teammate told me that they overheard my manager discussing a training session they had assigned me to lead, using the phrase, "Well if they didn't want to do this training, they shouldn't have gotten sick." Not only was this situation markedly embarrassing and unprofessional, it illustrates the mentality of those promoted to leadership in this company -- pass off their work to subordinates to get the work off their own plate, and then punish them with more work if they inconvenience the organization by falling sick.
    I absolutely do not recommend working at LegalZoom.

"Solid Place to Work"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at LegalZoom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great corporate culture and values if that's your thing. Compensation is adequate, but it's difficult for a top producer to separate from the rest of the team.

Cons

No Room to advance, too may chiefs and too few Indians. Management is only focused on the bottom line. It's difficult to get things accomplished with every department having a hand on everything.

Advice to Management

Invest in top producers and trim the fat. The company has grown so large it's become a huge bureaucracy.

"Cool Place to work but does not appreciate employees"

Pros

Cool Place to work
    Anniversary lunches and Christmas bonuses

Cons

Does not appreciate employees
    No work life balance.
    Managers are not good

Advice to Management

Get more people skills

"Ok place to work, not very much employee advancement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at LegalZoom (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have a fun committee that are always trying to think of fun new activities the employees can enjoy such as:

Pie a manager & above
    Karaoke night
    Zoom by zoom west (like SXSW)
    Golf tourney etc.

They offer a lot of personal development classes, including bootcamp for future leaders, for those wanting career advancement.

Bagels & cream cheese, avocados & tomatoes every Friday.

Birthday cake every month celebrating birthdays.

Holiday party & raffle prizes, big ones!

Summer family picnic with tons of games for the entire family and free food /'snow cones.

Cons

If your not a favorite or not willing to throw people under the bus in order to advance, you'll work a dead end job & you're not going anywhere with your career not even if you are educated.

They offer personal development classes however directors / managers don't encourage employees to take them & even worse, won't allow you to sign up for them as "business comes first" and you're just a number.

Not all directors but many don't want you to succeed they rather have you be the number they need to keep producing work, whether that's in customer care, sales, production, fulfillment, QA etc.
    Managers/ directors buy food for their dept. (I.e. Customer care or sales) and constantly judge reps about the amount of food they get how many times they get a plate etc.!

The holiday party I mentioned although they may be fun, are tainted by belligerent drunk upper management/directors/employees who are hammered. They don't respect people in relationships, a lot of promiscuity. And the prizes are probably rigged.

Advice to Management

Please encourage your employees and don't see them as a number. Be respectful of your employees and stop treating the company like its LZ high school.

To the small amount of managers/directors that actually care about their employees - you don't go unnoticed. Keep doing what's best for the department and your employees. Keep being awesome and don't allow the toxic ones to convert you.

"Busniess CSR"

Former Employee - Business Customer Service Representative in League City, TX
    Former Employee - Business Customer Service Representative in League City, TX

I worked at LegalZoom (More than 5 years)

Pros

Meeting nice co workers that have become life long friends. I learned a lot about how to file a business on the State level

Cons

Everything Else. Under New Mgmt

"sales consultant, new biz/intellectual property"

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Round Rock, TX

I worked at LegalZoom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great education on biz formations and intellectual property

Cons

A high intensity grind.

Advice to Management

?

"Great company, culture & people. Horrible new CTO."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I worked at LegalZoom full-time

Pros

The company wants to change the world (at least the legal world).
    The people are great. Knowledgeable, skilled, nice.
    Good culture (was better a couple of years ago).

Cons

The new CTO doesn't value the importance of people and has no interest in growing them.
    The CTO is micro managing everything and dictating instead of sharing the vision and strategy, defining goals and letting the Team work towards them.
    The level of politics has jumped to the roof since the new CTO came on board.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at your C Team, especially on the Tech side. Leaders should be leading, not dictating. Wrong leaders can cause a lot of damage to a great company.

LegalZoom Response

Nov 30, 2015

We appreciate your feedback. New executives come with new ideas and different methodologies – and this can take some time to adapt to. Our CTO is always open to discussing new ideas and resolving the... More