Legatum Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 18, 2019

4.0
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Values-led company constantly innovating and improving"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I have been working at Legatum full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at Legatum for over seven years. In that time I have seen the company and its management actively work to create a positive values-led culture. Creativity, positivity and the ability to deliver value are rewarded. There is a deep culture of respect for one another at all levels of the business, which is easy when everyone is friendly, talented, dedicated and hard working. I am fortunate to have been given broader opportunities to participate in the philanthropic side of the business, including a field trip to Ethiopia and being part of a team which allocated funds to projects in Kenya and Uganda - well beyond my typical day to day duties. In a flat hierarchy in a small company it can often be difficult to grow in your role, but not so here. I am supported in my MBA studies at a leading British university, encouraged to lead projects and regularly contribute to initiatives that affect the whole company. Overall: great colleagues, supported training and development, great coffee, family-friendly (I have a good work-life balance), free parking (in DIFC this is important), very good health care, projects are well-funded and focused on delivering value and excellence (not 'cheapest quote wins').

Cons

There shouldn't be too many of these if you are good at your job and generally fit within the culture. I agree with another review that traffic isn't great getting out of DIFC some nights. Some perks mean you have very little reason to leave the office during the day, so you have to be intentional about getting out and stretching your legs.

2. "One of the best to work!"

I worked at Legatum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Legatum for about 4 years, and in my time I can say it’s an exceptional company to work for who treats their employees as family. It’s a unique place to work and I have not seen any other company such as Legatum in my time here in UAE. You can reach out and talk about your concerns to your managers or even the CEO and the management without any issues. My team members were very supportive when certain difficulties arose. The managers would always encourage me to take initiatives and new projects rather than narrowly sticking to my own job. I also had an opportunity to work in different companies within the group which made me realize I could take up more challenges. Legatum focuses on getting the best potential out of you through encouragement and training. Besides the work environment, the offices are beautiful – one of a kind. Legatum also offers lunches, tea time snacks and has a café which serves the best coffees and smoothies in Dubai. There are occasional outings as well, where you get to meet the families of your colleagues and you get to know each other better. The company also kindly let me work from home for a few months after maternity leave. If not for personal circumstances, I would still be working at Legatum.

Cons

Since I didn’t drive, finding a taxi at the end of the day was a task, as there were a lot of people leaving the DIFC at the same time during rush hour. The interview rounds can take a little more time than usual, but patience is the key. I do not see any other issues. Given the opportunity, I would love to work with Legatum if I was not repatriating.

3. "Welcomed back for a third "tour"!"

I have been working at Legatum full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I am on my third tour at Legatum, having first left to study and then headed back to my home country for a few years. I soon realised that my passion lied with the work of Legatum and the great impact they are having around the world. Legatum welcomed me back both times. I have always enjoyed the family feel within the office and have liked seeing the corporate culture evolve and develop over the years. It gets stronger every year. There is a real focus on promoting from within the company, which is great if you want to progress in your career. I have been able to take a big step in my own career path here and hope to help others to do the same. We follow a leader-leader structure within the office, which I love as it encourages everyone to find their gold and give it away. We often get involved with cross-team projects which allows you to work with lots of different people and learn new skills.

Cons

As a company, it continues to explore in areas such as innovation. This will help to update some of the processes and re-evaluate the way things are done. Some processes are still very paper based, but there is an initiative in play to make this change. I also hope to see changes in people’s ability to give better feedback to one another which will also help with the subject of innovation.

4. "Great company, Great mission!"

I have been working at Legatum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Legatum is a company that has a very meaningful mission, which as an employee, I felt very connected to. The company culture is very friendly and my role exposed me to a variety of areas within my field which has been very satisfying and a great learning experience. My department was pretty much all women and therefore as someone new to the region, I found it really easy to make close friends within the office. It is a very welcoming place where you are well looked after, not forgetting the best coffee in Dubai is served at Legatum. If it was not for personal reasons I definitely would not be leaving Legatum.

Cons

Dubai can be a energetic working place, so it can be go, go, go at times. The DIFC is a popular location which can lead to traffic congestion in the evenings.

"Great place to work!"

I worked at Legatum full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Flexibility for maternity leave which is unusual in Dubai
    - Exposure to different parts of the business upon return from my maternity leave leading to further growth and knowledge in an area I was previously unfamiliar with
    - Stunning working environment, fantastic colleagues, full time barista who makes the best coffees in Dubai!

Cons

- The paperwork and bureaucracy in Dubai in relation to financial processes can lead to extended time taken to do simple tasks.
    - When corresponding with suppliers you may have to spell 'Legatum' phonetically to ensure they capture the name correctly.

"A rewarding place to work"

I have been working at Legatum full-time

Pros

The company has a mission to help others and I genuinely feel that I am helping others indirectly by working here.

Some of the negative reviews have questioned the management team. I don't agree with this. I really like the CEO and management team and I feel they are doing everything they can to develop a business that is helping the world. I do agree with some of the positive comments about the Chairman. He is a very warm and welcoming man and I am proud to be part of the company he founded.

The offices are very luxurious and calm, and the in-house café offers a variety of drinks and snacks.

There are chances to see first-hand the philanthropic work the Legatum Group is doing and many staff members have come back having had life changing experiences from these trips. I hope to go on one this year.

Great team of people coming from all over the world, which brings a unique mix of cultures and ideas.

From my experience, Legatum do care about their employees, putting emphasis on personal development rather than unreachable corporate targets.

Cons

As mentioned in another review, I totally agree with the traffic when leaving in the evenings. It can be a nightmare sometimes.
    If you are thinking of working for Legatum, I would recommend finding a home either on the Metro line (Metro station just outside the building) or something in walking distance (although this may be an issue during summertime).

Although not directly related to Legatum, dealing with some service providers in Dubai can be frustrating. Service is just not what you are used to in your home country. Also, with VAT now in Dubai, products and services are now more expensive. For anyone moving to Dubai, I would recommend doing thorough research on the cost of living before coming here. It can be an expensive city to live in.

"A rare and distinctive company"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I worked at Legatum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked for Legatum full-time in 2013, and left just after 12 months. Had I not needed to return to my home country for family reasons, I imagine that I would still be at Legatum today, as it was the best role I’ve had to date.

The company is so unique, from their values, professionalism, work ethic and philanthropy, it was like nothing that I have experienced before or since. Each and every employee whilst I worked there was dedicated, genuine, friendly, and stretched themselves to deliver. The offices at DIFC are amazing, advanced technology everywhere, generous staff meals and luxurious surroundings. I found everyone approachable, available and we were all a part of a well oiled machine. The Managers that I reported to were supportive, open to suggestions and improvements and encouraging. They themselves were role models to many of their colleagues. The contact that I had with the Chairman was always courteous, light hearted and welcoming. I feel that he had the employees best interests at heart. Despite his position in the company he always demonstrated a high level of humility that made everyone feel comfortable.

Cons

In my previous roles in Dubai, I never had 9-5 timings. This role was no different, in that it was my choice to complete tasks ahead of deadlines.

8. "A truly amazing place to work"

I have been working at Legatum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working at Legatum for almost four years and I feel extremely fortunate to be working with such talented, passionate and driven individuals who are supportive, caring and fun at the same time! We work in a professional environment with true core values, where standards are high and everyone is striving to do and be their best, but we also work as a team and there is no hierarchy. And, as it's a relatively small team, it means we’re able to get involved in different areas of the business – not only is this interesting but it means we’re constantly learning and growing, and this in turn creates endless opportunities. The leadership team is particularly inspiring and senior management interact and connect with colleagues at all levels. There is a culture of mutual trust and respect. It truly is an amazing place to work and it’s incredibly fulfilling to be working for a mission-led company that genuinely cares about helping others.

Cons

Some people may find the fast paced nature challenging if they’re not used to working in a high intensity environment. On occasion you may have to work a bit late or on a weekend but this tends to only happen when there’s an urgent deadline or a real business need, and it’s certainly not the norm. What’s great is that everyone at Legatum is helpful and the team works together to get things done. The company is also flexible with leave and encourages everyone to take restful holidays and to spend quality time with their families.

"Great company, great people"

I have been working at Legatum full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Contrary to some of the negative reviews, my experience with Legatum has been very inspiring and rewarding. I love working here as Legatum is quite different from the regular ‘corporate’ environment. Strong emphasis is given to achieving excellence. Living as expats in Dubai away from family and friends, the teams are very close and I have certainly made life-long friends here. Professionally, my role has evolved quite a bit over the years, including taking on additional responsibilities which has helped in gaining tremendous experience. Employees are encouraged to get a ‘first-hand’ experience of the philanthropic work Legatum supports. This has also motivated several employees to start their own fund raisers for causes they support which is again supported by Legatum as well.

Cons

The traffic around the DIFC can be difficult in the evenings, which means you might not get a swift exit at the end of the day. And there are quite few times when longer hours than usual need to be put in, but that isn’t really a ‘Con’ as the primary focus is on delivering timely and efficient results. You are encouraged to take full ownership of every task/project from start to finish.

10. "More than just a job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I worked at Legatum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had worked at Legatum for just short of two and a half years and having been back in my home country for over a year now. I feel I am suitably positioned to reflect on my time and perhaps offer some insight for anyone who is looking at joining Legatum.

During my time at the company, I learned some very important ideals that stick with me today. They are: a good attitude is far more productive than a bad one, always strive for excellence, hard-work is good-work, and that your "work-family" is important. The key one for me was "work-family", as the people I worked with became an extension of my own family. I know some people below have questioned this, but it was a very important element for me. This is due to a combination of living away from home and having people in the office that you can count on. I am yet to experience this feeling since moving on. I am still in contact with my friends from Legatum via Whatsapp.

Legatum focusses on hiring people based on fit opposed to being the most academically qualified candidate, so it really comes down to having the "right" attitude a lot of the time, which from my own experience is the ingredient to any successful team or organisation.

One of the inspiring things about the job is that we were all able to get so much done. Being supported by a small team of extremely high-calibre individuals, I was provided with the autonomy to carve out my own career path. So, if you are willing to put in the hours and effort you will be supported to become your best self. I was fortunate enough to discover some untapped potential in myself, leading me to a role with much more responsibility when I returned home.

Lastly, my favourite thing about my time at Legatum was the opportunity to freely talk openly to the Founder, CEO and Leadership team members. I faced a few challenges at times, and I was able to talk these through with members of the leadership team who were happy to discuss issues and provide recommendations to improve. This was certainly refreshing.

Cons

The interview process can be rather lengthy as you will meet your immediate peers, as well as various members of the Leadership team. This can be time-consuming, but gives both you and them a real opportunity to build a relationship. It was evident to me from the very start that Legatum is investing in candidates and, should you be successful in the interview, this investment continues. My advice to anyone going through the recruitment process: yes, it might take time, but embrace it, enjoy it. You are talking to some really great individuals.

Legatum is an open door. The Leadership team will support you to excel to your maximum potential and your peers often want to help you succeed. With that said, you can only reach your full potential if you are committed to investing in yourself by putting in the hard work, persevering constantly, remaining positive and keeping focused on the goals at hand. It usually does mean longer hours than your average 9-5, however it is an investment in yourself. For those who just want a job, this may be too much.