Lehigh Hanson Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Lehigh Hanson President and CEO Jon Morrish
Jon Morrish

Pros
  • They are Huge on work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Great benefits and promotes wellness for employees (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • too busy lack of work life balance and when you try its hard to create it (in 3 reviews)

• Basic vacation time-- not with the times; (in 2 reviews)

1. "Accountant"

I have been working at Lehigh Hanson full-time

Pros

Great benefits and promotes wellness for employees.

Cons

None great company overall if you have a great team.

2. "Accounts Payable Manager"

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Manager-Vendor Support & Vendor Master in West Valley City, UT

I worked at Lehigh Hanson full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Very nice working conditions.

Cons

Constant pressure to do more with less resources and people

3. "Good company but can demand extreme hours at times"

Former Intern - Summer in Jeffersonville, IN
    Former Intern - Summer in Jeffersonville, IN

I worked at Lehigh Hanson as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent money
    Safety oriented
    Regular meetings to discuss safety and process improvement
    Usually easy work
    Most of the mine superintendents are reasonable

Cons

Long hours during certain times of the year
    Some of the jobs can be very boring
    Some jobs are very repetitive

Advice to Management

Start a second shift

"This is, for the most part, a great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Administrative in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative in Irving, TX

I have been working at Lehigh Hanson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are Huge on work-life balance. They do a lot of wellness activities that are company sponsored that you and your family can attend.

Cons

They talk about developing people but don't do it, it's a lot of who you know not what you know.

Advice to Management

If you're going to talk about developing people then you need to do it, very disappointing.

"Excellent Company, Some Instability"

Former Employee - Area Credit Manager in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Area Credit Manager in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Lehigh Hanson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay & benefits, first off; LHI hires the best and works hard to attract and retain them. I had a figure in mind to negotiate to when they hired me, and their offer beat it by roughly $10K, before I even started to negotiate. Same thing happened with someone I hired, beating her starting point by roughly the same amount. If they want you on board, they don't mess around with minutiae like your salary...

Benefits, including medical, 401(k), and so forth, were top-notch, even though they were reportedly reduced from prior years due to the economy and rising costs; still pretty much the best I've had.

Management is above average in most respects. As always, more communication is better, but they understand that generally.

Annual employee reviews are strictly adhered to, and there was ample training in how to best do them and use them as a training tool, although follow-up with supervisors to confirm these were doing the reviews properly was a weak point. The review format is similar to Milgard Manufacturing's MPS, but less structured and rigorous. With that said, many companies don't even do reviews as promised, so LHI is well above the mean in that respect. The philosophy is that the contents and grades of a review shouldn't be a surprise

Bottom line is that if they needed to expand my old department again and rehire, I would gladly go back to LHI.

Cons

Biggest issue there was constantly shifting lines and flows from senior management down to those of us on the front lines. There was also a schism between the Lehigh people and the Hanson people, beneath the surface. Lots of carving out of areas of control, fiefdom-building and the like, rather than jettisoning that nonsense and just working together as a company.

There was a program named W.I.N. instituted to right-size and reorganize the company, in the light of going to a Central Service Center (CSC) environment. After repeated layoffs, staff and management referred to it as "Who Is Next?", e.g., who will be laid off next. Not very good for morale...

When layoffs did come, there didn't appear to be rule or reason for why it was done. Long-time employees would disappear overnight, with no clue as to why, and their positions were either eliminated or re-hired, again with no explanation.

Advice to Management

Address the internal strife between personnel from the two merged companies; my advice would be to get over it and move forward.

"A good company"

Current Employee - Tax Accountant in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Tax Accountant in Irving, TX

I have been working at Lehigh Hanson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked in the tax department at Lehigh Hanson for nearly 4 years. The work/life balance is good. I rarely work over 40 hours a week. The people make the company, I think, and in this company, the people are great. There is a push for regular inter-department meetings, which is a big benefit. When AP and accounting can sit down and work together, it's a big deal. Lehigh Hanson values new ideas and has a program for submitting ideas to a review board. Many of these ideas are approved and implemented. The company has a good training program. Employees are valued by management, something you don't always get in a company.

Cons

Lehigh Hanson is still very old school with working hours and vacation. Employees are expected to work normal business hours and working from home is frowned upon. Vacation starts at 2 weeks, and finally gets up to 17 days after 15 years of service.

Advice to Management

Lehigh Hanson values its employees. I wish management would show it by giving more freedom in working hours and locations. The company is losing good employees because other companies offer more flexibility.

"Great experience"

Current Employee - Accountant in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Accountant in Irving, TX

Pros

They seem to care about their employees. Culture is great and things are pretty laid back. One of the best jobs I've ever had.

Cons

There aren't really any cons. Benefits can be better as far as PTO time and 401K match and medical however there are other things that compensate for that.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

9. "Benefits enrollment"

Current Employee - Crew Chief in De Land, FL
    Current Employee - Crew Chief in De Land, FL

I have been working at Lehigh Hanson full-time

Pros

The pay is great your coworkers are good to work with. And it's a really good and safe and clean place to work

Cons

It's really not to many things that are bad because all the workers are well trained and have good supervised attention

Advice to Management

Just keep up the good work and make a good product cause we want our customers to come back not our product

10. "Dispatcher"

Current Employee - Dispatcher
    Current Employee - Dispatcher

Pros

I absolutely loved my job

Cons

Automated the plant and all three dispatchers were told yesterday that we're out of a job

11. "Employee Services"

I have been working at Lehigh Hanson full-time

Pros

Great department to work in; enjoy the autonomy and the ability to make a difference with the resources afforded.

Cons

Very lean teams can lead to a challenge in work-life balance, but there's always a way, and management is flexible and open to proposed solutions.